High mileage (07 w/270k) maintenance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, this is my first time posting here. I just bought an 07 LC and it has 270k on the clock. I have noticed that it's leaking oil over the last week (it's slow and I never saw any signs of a leak when I went under it to buy it, neither did the dealership when they did a pre-purchase inspection for me). So I am going to do a weekend of maintenance this weekend. I'm going to do an oil change, grease the drive shafts, air filter, I'm gonna do the pcv as the dealership said it was very gunky but still working, also going to replace the muffler as it is in very bad shape.
The day after I bought it I had a local shop replace the front cv joints as they were the other issue the dealership found.
What else should I be doing and getting out of the way on an LC of such high mileage? Anything else that should be greased, etc?
Thanks in advance!

Capt Obvious here - but Heater Ts if not done already and 270 mi is due for TB/WP if everything has been done on the 90k services.

Capt Obvious here - but Heater Ts if not done already and 270 mi is due for TB/WP if everything has been done on the 90k services.
I am pretty sure the heater Ts have been done, they look really dark and don't show any buildup from coolant leaking. I have an appointment at my local LC shop for the timing belt and water pump and a bunch of seals, that's in July. Any other stuff that gets overlooked? The drive shafts don't look like they've been touched in a long time, stuff like that.

I’m in the same boat but a few months ahead of ya, 2006 LX with 260k. Did TB, WP, tensioner, all bearings and fan bracket along with a new Mishimoto radiator, heater Ts, all associated hoses and clamps. Replaced the cam and crank seals also.

For oil leaks I found my valve cover gaskets leaking as well as the dipstick o-ring, and the power steering reservoir return hose was leaking at the reservoir.

My truck has AHC so I also did the accumulator globes and the upper rubber cushions and lower bushings in the fronts as well as replaced the swaybar links and bushings in the front and rear.

I'm pretty sure my ball joints are worn out and the steering rack bushings are worn out, I get some suspension popping/knocking here and there but it is really mild. I'll probably replace the rack bushings, lower arms, no.2 lower arm bushing (in frame), and have al the rubber bushings to replace all the mounts for the front diff...and i'll go from there and see what else is needed.

I already did new rotors, pads all the way around and I did the front wheel bearing service too.

That's my 260k plan for my truck, just a few more things to do, and were all part of the budget when I bought the "high" miler...

I have 225k on my LX and I had a coolant leak around the top of the radiator. You might look for signs of that as well.

An advantage of 07 w/ 270k miles versus 98 w/ 270k miles is that more likely the rig has been used mostly for long highway driving, so parts like starter, brake booster etc. are worn less.

I am pretty sure the heater Ts have been done, they look really dark and don't show any buildup from coolant leaking. I have an appointment at my local LC shop for the timing belt and water pump and a bunch of seals, that's in July. Any other stuff that gets overlooked? The drive shafts don't look like they've been touched in a long time, stuff like that.
Do them any way. Mine looked fine too, till I replaced hem. They crumbed while I tried to remove them. They are cheap and easy to do.

I’m in the same boat but a few months ahead of ya, 2006 LX with 260k. Did TB, WP, tensioner, all bearings and fan bracket along with a new Mishimoto radiator, heater Ts, all associated hoses and clamps. Replaced the cam and crank seals also.

For oil leaks I found my valve cover gaskets leaking as well as the dipstick o-ring, and the power steering reservoir return hose was leaking at the reservoir.

My truck has AHC so I also did the accumulator globes and the upper rubber cushions and lower bushings in the fronts as well as replaced the swaybar links and bushings in the front and rear.

I'm pretty sure my ball joints are worn out and the steering rack bushings are worn out, I get some suspension popping/knocking here and there but it is really mild. I'll probably replace the rack bushings, lower arms, no.2 lower arm bushing (in frame), and have al the rubber bushings to replace all the mounts for the front diff...and i'll go from there and see what else is needed.

I already did new rotors, pads all the way around and I did the front wheel bearing service too.

That's my 260k plan for my truck, just a few more things to do, and were all part of the budget when I bought the "high" miler...
Did you do the AHC shock cushions yourself or have a shop do it?

I did it all, the upper cushions were the easiest once the shock was removed it's cake. The lower bushings I used a ball joint / 4wd bushing remover/installer tool. Not ideal but I didn't feel like buying a press or driving 1.5 hours round trip to use my friend's father's press. If you can use a press I'm sure it is much quicker!

The Harbor Freight 20T press is on sale right now for $199, I may end up buying it to do the rear arms and any other bushing I can replace to justify the purchase price!

Did you do the AHC shock cushions yourself or have a shop do it?

I did it all, the upper cushions were the easiest once the shock was removed it's cake. The lower bushings I used a ball joint / 4wd bushing remover/installer tool. Not ideal but I didn't feel like buying a press or driving 1.5 hours round trip to use my friend's father's press. If you can use a press I'm sure it is much quicker!

The Harbor Freight 20T press is on sale right now for $199, I may end up buying it to do the rear arms and any other bushing I can replace to justify the purchase price!
Thanks for the info, that's been on my to do list for a while.

Check out the hoses coming from the canister and also the hose going from the pcv back to the engine. Carbon build up and leaky hoses may be seen there. Silicone spray works great with putting hoses back onto potentially brittle plastics. Also worth cleaning the Mass air flow sensor and throttle body since they could easily contribute to a check engine light.

Check out the hoses coming from the canister and also the hose going from the pcv back to the engine. Carbon build up and leaky hoses may be seen there. Silicone spray works great with putting hoses back onto potentially brittle plastics. Also worth cleaning the Mass air flow sensor and throttle body since they could easily contribute to a check engine light.
Which canister?

Man, that's a big list! Kinda what I'm thinking I'll have to do once I dig into it. I have to borrow garage space from a buddy of mine (thanks mil/fil for using my garage as their storage while they blow their retirement on a multicontinent road trip) so I have to pace myself. I'm still getting past enjoying the upgrade from an Outback. Two girls, a dog, the wife and I have a lot more room and capability now. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking? We paid 16k...

The box on the DS aft of the fuse box. I know the ‘99 has it along with the fuel filter nearby.

Evap charcoal canister. looks like they moved it near the spare tire later on. My bad!

I paid $14k for it, but cornered myself into very few options I wanted silver, VVTi (06-07 only then) and one with a super clean interior and I wanted it 100% stock. I do think you scored with the 07 at that price, they have a price premium IMHO over the 06.

As far as all the work done so far, is I do spend a lot of time in Death Valley, where there are very few people and no mobile service. I should get a GPS communicator at some point I suppose, so I wanted the cooling system to be perfect and I wanted to have some spares.

Also I wanted to do the work, I enjoy it! Put your MIL/FIL's stuff in storage so you can use the garage, it'll help with stretching projects over a few days and not stress you out on getting everything done "in one sitting" because...reality is...you'll find some "PO" surprises that you'll need to get parts for. I have been using parts.wesleychapeltoyota.com and parts.toyotaofhb.com and a few others for free shipping and great discounts on parts, as well as toyodiy.com for parts diagrams (you'll need to register to see the diagrams, then put in your VIN and it remembers your car, it's awesome).

Last edited:
No issues getting parts. It usually takes a week since Toyota’s main PDC is still in Ontario, CA. I’ve bought a lot of the bushings and a hub and globes from IMPEX and that has gone great. 2 weeks or slightly less shipped to my front door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom