High idle / Secondary butterfly question - Solved! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all -

I'm having trouble fighting high idle (~900). Everything was running well - I had tuned via lean drop to an idle of 650 with a vacuum of 19-20. Ran this way for about a year. Seemingly overnight the idle went to 1200 and vacuum of ~15. Tore into everything and found a leaking EGR J pipe / cooler, all of which I have fixed; this helped the vacuum (16) but did not correct everything. I do have a significant leak at the exhaust pipe just before the muffler - but I don't think this explains things.

I have:
Verified proper timing
Checked / adjusted valves
Fixed / replaced EGR components
Multiple smoke / carb cleaner tests have confirmed no intake leaks
All throttle linkages move freely.

Pulling up on the gas peddle will slightly reduce the idle, but it will increase when let go.

Started messing with the carb - I had rebuilt this about a year ago using the great videos @Pin_Head put out.
The idle mixture screw does not reduce idle when screwed in. Again I think all intake vacuum leaks are addressed.

Looking into the carb with the engine off - I noted that the secondary butterfly is not completely closed. With the engine running I can see fuel being drawn in under the butterfly - is this normal? Should the secondary butterfly be completely closed at idle? I'm thinking this is my problem, but can't understand why it was running well and now the change.

I can move the secondary butterfly manually by directly manipulating it - it doesn't seem to be stuck.

Sorry for the book! Any insight really appreciated.

First pic - engine off
Second pic - engine running - you can see fuel just under the butterfly (kind of cool)
IMG_6874.JPG
IMG_6875.JPG

The secondary butterfly needs to be closed all the way at idle or you will have a high “idle”. Inspect the linkage to find out why it is not closing.

@OhioFJ Also, did you use a paper gasket between the carb and the insulator? If so, the paper gasket may be interfering with the secondary butterfly operation. Either trim the hole in the gasket a little bigger, or remove the gasket altogether. You really shouldn't need one.

I had this exact same issue years ago on one of my 40's. Truck was idling high, spitting fuel out the tailpipe. Idle solenoid worked (clicked), but the engine ran the same at idle even if I unplugged the solenoid. It was obvious to me that somehow the engine was getting its fuel around the idle circuit. I pulled the carb and saw where the paper gasket was holding the secondary open just the slightest amount. Removed the gasket, re-installed carb and it ran beautifully.

Interesting - yes I did use a paper gasket. I’m going to inspect the linkage further and pull the carb today and will report back. Thank you!

We did it!

As @roadstr6 correctly predicted it was indeed the paper gasket that was the culprit. I almost couldn't believe it!

Linkage was ok. Pulled the carb. The edge of the gasket had become deformed and was preventing the secondary butterfly from fully closing. As soon as I lifted the carb up the secondary closed. Trimmed about 1mm around the circumference of the gasket with an xacto. Buttoned everything up - idle at 650 and steady vacuum of 19. Thanks to everyone who posted about similar issues, and thanks again to @Pin_Head for the videos and comments.

:beer::beer:

IMG_6908.jpeg
IMG_6909.jpeg

Trimmed
IMG_6910.jpeg

We did it!

As @roadstr6 correctly predicted it was indeed the paper gasket that was the culprit. I almost couldn't believe it!

Linkage was ok. Pulled the carb. The edge of the gasket had become deformed and was preventing the secondary butterfly from fully closing. As soon as I lifted the carb up the secondary closed. Trimmed about 1mm around the circumference of the gasket with an xacto. Buttoned everything up - idle at 650 and steady vacuum of 19. Thanks to everyone who posted about similar issues, and thanks again to @Pin_Head for the videos and comments.

:beer::beer:

View attachment 2745412View attachment 2745414

Trimmed
View attachment 2745413
Great news! Glad it worked out. 🙌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom