High Idle revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SOrry to bug y'all again..thought I found the source of this problem but apparently not.

Recently, (within last 4 weeks), at startup in the mornings, I noticed high idle (around 1800-2000), gradually coming down to around 1200. I cleaned linkage, and it somewhat corrected the problem (Somewhat meaning startup idle @ 1500, dropping to about 1000 after a minute).

HOWEVER...it's back. Idle at morning startup (or after sitting / cooling off for 3-4 hours), idle is back at around 2000, stays there for several minutes, reduces when I 'pop it', then drops to 1300-1400 until I get in gear for a mile or two.

(a) is this a 'problem'?;
(b) if (a)='true', then what's the source;
(c) fix?

Thanks in advance..

Read about the 0-ring fix...probably should consider throttle body sticking as well.

Sounds to me like something is sticking...normal to high idle, not normal to stay up there.

Thanks Dan...searching now...

Found the thread, Dan, thanks. Appears to be something so remedial that even I can attempt it. I do like Kurt's suggested alternative, though (read: turn up radio).

For point of reference, mine starts at 1800 rpm and takes 90 seconds in a warm parking garage to drop to 1100 rpm. A little over 3 minutes on a cold day outside.

This is probably too obvious, but if you're using high octane gasoline instead of regular, you'll experience this. I had a similar problem.

nope, regular only

Seems to me if 90% of us experience this high idle "problem" it probably isn't one. Mine sounds like a Hurricane when I crank it up in the AM. 3 minutes later when I go back to the garage it's purrin'.
For those without garages, I like the loud radio idea.

Might sound irrelevant, but from your description...Have you check for vacuum leak (cracked hose) after the AFM ?

Check for a binding throttle cable as well. A throttle "blip" won't generaly change the iac but would get a sticky cable or throttle plate moving.

Beast,

I can't imagine how fuel octane would impact this?

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom