High Horsepower inline 6 engine replacement? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am partial... I have a 780whp 2jz in a 2000 BMW m5 chasis. ;) There are more then a few 4runners out there with 2jz power-plants. YouTube - 2jz 4runner dyno I would love to see this type swap done, but honestly if it was me I would still go with the vortec.

2jz in an E39 WHAT? Pics!!! that sounds awesome. one of my favorite motors in my top 5 favorite chassis'. you have a new fan! :popcorn:

2jz in an E39 WHAT? Pics!!! that sounds awesome. one of my favorite motors in my top 5 favorite chassis'. you have a new fan! :popcorn:

I'm with this guy. We need more info! One of my favorite BMW's was my uncle's e39 M5.

I'm with this guy. We need more info! One of my favorite BMW's was my uncle's e39 M5.

Thanks, I agree. Love the e39 body style!! Here is a quick video of the car. It made 762whp on that day. Right now we are building the motor and installing a billet 7675 turbo....anticipating over 900whp.

YouTube - E-Shift Performance: CROSS BREED 700+whp 2jz M5

Don't forget the BMW inline 6s.

The lowly M50/52 2.5/2.8 has been boosted reliably up to about 600hp on stock internals, the block can handle 1000+ hp.

There's also the high-strung S38, s50/52, and S54 engines out of the M3 and M5. Those can handle 600+ hp reliably. Also, gotta love a 7-8k redline.

Getting them wired into a dinosaur like a 62 would be... interesting.

With all due respect, its obvious that you haven't been hanging out on the Bimmer Forums site. There are about three postings per day about head gaskets blowing on the 2.8 and 3.0 inlines. And having driven plenty of Bimmers (I own one) I can say that their inline sixes make about as good an engine for a workhorse tractor such as a Cruiser as would a snowmobile engine. There is far more to the equation than just HP.

With all due respect, its obvious that you haven't been hanging out on the Bimmer Forums site.

I'm on there often, just not in the FI section. A lot of those people try and "get by" on a low-budget build without properly reinforcing parts of a 1xx,000-mile engine before slapping a turbo on it.

I have a beat-down E36 (see sig line) that I've driven for the last 10 years. I also have a couple of friends who design and build turbo systems (among other race parts). Those 4-figure numbers aren't going to last long, but you can get 500hp reliably.

Yes, those M engines lack torque. I was just showing that there are other high-hp options out there, since the other Jap engines were mentioned. My 2.5L pushes about 220/200. Well, she would without the head gasket leak. My 62 will get a V8 when the time comes.

I'm on there often, just not in the FI section. A lot of those people try and "get by" on a low-budget build without properly reinforcing parts of a 1xx,000-mile engine before slapping a turbo on it.

I have a beat-down E36 (see sig line) that I've driven for the last 10 years. I also have a couple of friends who design and build turbo systems (among other race parts). Those 4-figure numbers aren't going to last long, but you can get 500hp reliably.

Yes, those M engines lack torque. I was just showing that there are other high-hp options out there, since the other Jap engines were mentioned. My 2.5L pushes about 220/200. Well, she would without the head gasket leak. My 62 will get a V8 when the time comes.

And my E39 540i will get an LS series Chevy when it expires. I hope that isn't soon though. My last 540 threw the number eight rod out the side of the block as I was going down I-15. They are too complex and expensive to justify rebuilding. the one bright spot is the $40.00 worth of aluminum in the perforated block if you recycle it.

Ha, now the BMW flood gates are open! Personally I would stay away from a BMW engine in an FJ60. I can't imagine taking my 325's engine and putting it in the cruiser. Plus as lehiguy says the BMW engines are too costly to replace.

I'm curious to see someone do an Atlas Inline 6. The 2005 model boasts 297bhp, the engines are cheap and parts would be easy to find. A V8 swap is also nice, but I would rather throw a diesel before I would consider a V8 swap. That has nothing to do with costs of the swap, but mainly I'd like to keep the engine compartment uncluttered.

Has anyone done the Atlas engine and kept the Toyota manual trans? I think the Atlas would be a good interim engine before I went with a turbo diesel later down the road.

Ha, now the BMW flood gates are open! Personally I would stay away from a BMW engine in an FJ60. I can't imagine taking my 325's engine and putting it in the cruiser. Plus as lehiguy says the BMW engines are too costly to replace.

I agree completely. It was years before anyone took the time/money to fit an S52 into an E30 M3 and make it work. I was just bringing the BMWs up since someone mentioned the Nissan RB26 and Toyota 2jz.

The OP is a kid looking to drop a couple of grand of his parents money on a day dream. Not slamming that, but there is little chance of him undertaking (having someone else undertake for him) any of these "off the beaten path" swaps.

Mark...

Anybody put a late model Tundra 5.7 in a 60/62 yet? My 62 only has 120K on it so I have no plans for a swap anytime soon. No smoke or oil consumption. As Benjaman points out, the 3FE does what is it designed to do. Go slow and steady forever.

Would be interesting to have the 400hp/400 tq in the 62 though. Would have to change out everything else too as it would twist in half if you applied more than half of the 5.7's muscle

Land Cruisers are not race cars. Installing a high hp engine into one makes no sense unless the engine comes with the torque to match. You can get lots of hp from a tiny Honda short-stroke 4-cylinder. But I would never consider installing the engine into something that needs to grunt for a living.

When talking about LC engines it's the torque number that matters, not hp. You want torque and hp, install a v8. That said, I love my 2FE (a paltry 150hp@3250, but 284ft-lbs@1950).

Hi, I have a 1990 FJ62 and the engine just isnt giving me the power i want. I am planning on having it replaced and i was wondering if there were any inline 6 crate engines that will give better than 240 horsepower in the Fj62? I am having it replaced as i recover from having a piece of my skull removed over spring break, so i would like to have the engine ready to go in my beast soon.

Hey, good luck on the surgery. Don't expect an instant recovery... it took me about 2 years to get over mine. Oh, to have parents who would have given me a new engine!!!!

Don't forget the BMW inline 6s.

The lowly M50/52 2.5/2.8 has been boosted reliably up to about 600hp on stock internals, the block can handle 1000+ hp.

There's also the high-strung S38, s50/52, and S54 engines out of the M3 and M5. Those can handle 600+ hp reliably. Also, gotta love a 7-8k redline.

Getting them wired into a dinosaur like a 62 would be... interesting.

Yeah, the 1st inline 6's that came to mind for me were the BMW engines..

Land Cruisers are not race cars. Installing a high hp engine into one makes no sense unless the engine comes with the torque to match. You can get lots of hp from a tiny Honda short-stroke 4-cylinder. But I would never consider installing the engine into something that needs to grunt for a living.

When talking about LC engines it's the torque number that matters, not hp. You want torque and hp, install a v8. That said, I love my 2FE (a paltry 150hp@3250, but 284ft-lbs@1950).

^ This. The only reason i mentioned the RB26 and 2JZ was due to the subject of the thread- High HP inline 6's keep in mind if tuned many of the 6's can make huge torque numbers, granted not at the RPM levels the Cruiser engines can.

it would be a "big-o-waste" of time and $$ to put a "hot-rod" type engine in a LC. Where would you ever be able to use it.....and if you were dumb enough to give it hell on the pavement you would shortly find that you have exceeded the handling capability of the LC.

I think hot-rods of any flavor are cool...but they should be a vehicle that can hadle that kind of power both in ride, handling, braking ...etc.

M5 is a very nice car. I like the hot rod supra's and all the crazy turbo fuel injected stuff..but just does not work on a LC. A stock GM V-8 will push the LC beyonds its handling characteritics very quickly...at least the old school LC's.

Oh well .... if you can make it work I want to see what it does and what components its going to take to make it happen.

Last edited:
Re hot rod engine

I WOULD GO DIESEL IN MINE 6BT mabye. but if you had a high reving turbo type motor with lots of gear reduction ie: profab 3 to 1 tcase would you not have the best of both horsepower and torque?

The 2f is gutless, yes it produces some torque, but it flat out needs to be PUSHED to stay with traffic up hills and with loads... Thats one of the main reasons I chose to swap. If I justed putted along on trails, or around town, then it would not be an issue. I want to actually use the truck and enjoy it, not sh i t bricks about being run down by a semi going down the freeway.

Decide on how the vehicle will be used, then choose engine.

If you can put in some time and wrench work, or someone else is willing to invest it for you, have a look at these threads. They'll give you an idea of what you can do based off of the 3FE that is in your truck now, with a 2F block, a reground camshaft and some work. I don't have dyno numbers, but based on acceleration times, I'd say I gained 30 or 35% over the 3FE.

Tonkota’s write up - http://www.steelnthings.com/TLCA/2Fswap/2feswap.pdf
Pappy’s pdf - http://bushrat.hdcruisers.org/3FEconversion.pdf
My 2FE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/277349-help-me-plan-2fe.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom