High Gas Prices =LC Slowing Sales ... What’s your Plan ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Hey guys
I was just picking some parts at my local Toyota dealer and they had 2 LC in stock , just wondering how the high gas prices will effect your diving ? MY 200 was parked for the snow and salt events living in the northeast PA/NJ
My buddies dad owns the Toyota dealership and was talking to a sales guy and said the LC sales have fallen flat at there dealership , even with the LC ending the higher fuel prices may slow the market for 200’s
They are sold out of 4 cyl Tacomas ... LOL
Were at around $3.15 .... I just filled up my Tacoma DD at Sams and was 2.71 on Wednesday , its up 2.90 there .
High gas prices do suck , I lived in California and I was use to paying $4.00 + a gallon .
My 200 is going into my shop for a few months while I do my build , I’ll miss driving it but not feeding it , I am lucky to have a few other vehicles to drive and if it gets really bad with way over $4.00 I’ll start riding one of my Motorcycles when possible ... summers coming .
Feeding / Maintenance/ modifying / insuring ... its not a cheap vehicle if you don’t own it ... and paying for it .
What’s your Plan for insane gas prices ?

Last edited:
At my stealership .... they can’t keep heritage or lc200 on the lot... flying like hot cakes .... high gas prices or low ... it still sells ....

Gas is $2.70 around here. I don’t understand what people are concerned about. That’s cheap. I remember when it was $4/gal. And since I’m working from home, a tank of gas lasts me more than a month.

What’s your Plan for insane gas prices ?
That's not insane pricing compared to just a few years ago. And around here (northern Ohio) I've averaged about $2.50 for the four tanks since I bough mine earlier this year. But, to answer your question, I've got some scooters that go 70-100 miles on a gallon of gas. So those day to day offset the expensive road trips.

I'll be enjoying the smells of burned dinosaurs like there's no tomorrow.

Though seriously, the future will look different. $3.50 now in CA and we'll easily be back at $4+ not too distant future. 13 MPG and about 27 cents a mile fuel alone doesn't sound like a big deal. Fortunately my finances and commute don't cause me any concerns here. But when you start comparing and consider that cost to an EV is typically at 3.2 cents per mile. Or in my situation where my solar has very much paid for itself and I get free charging at work, let's still call it 1 cent per mile.

27 cents to 3.2 cent. Or more than an 8 times difference in "fuel" costs per mile. Considering 15k miles a year: $4000 in fuel or $475 in electricity. Or for my situation, less than $150.

Throw in the significantly more maintenance and operating costs of a gasser with gasser things like smog checks, brake pads, fluid changes, and other more periodic maintenance. That becomes serious money and ongoing costs to be stuck in the past for a proper gasser experience. Which I'm all for as I seriously love the essence of internal combustion.

I'm glad I have an EV in the family stable, and it's incredibly satisfying to drive in it's own way, beyond just costs advantages.

Food for thought whether there's a Cybertruck in my future as a replacement for the 200-series, or it'll be another additional toy.

The future of commuting is electric and the future is here now, just not everyone is on board. My first and only EV is i3, and it is a perfect city commuter vehicle. It's a fantastic little hot hatch, not loved much due to the price, but it was possible to score insane deal on it even new (mine cost me $19k + sales tax on $28k). They are also quite affordable 2nd hand. It is a future classic, given its design (polarizing, but it grows on you), and unique carbon fiber body-on-frame construction and plastic body panels. Basically nothing to rust on it, either. It also insane how big it is on the inside given its external dimensions.

It almost feels weird to drive a gasser to work. Now for fun and long distance driving gasser will remain the preferred option for me and for many for many years. My next EV could be a pickup track to replace the i3 and Tacoma. The latter is not used for long distance driving, so EV pickup truck is a logical choice.

I just wish there will be driver friendly options, which I hope there will be from more mainstream manufacturers. Hope these bozos realize that to compete with Tesla they do not need or should mirror all the idiotic Elon's choices. I despise Tesla's touch screen centered idiocy, and will never own a turd like that, regardless of how fast it accelerates or whatever range it has.

Last edited:
My plan is to keep doing what I’m doing. I drive an Audi EV for all local trips and use the LC only for towing and long road trips. The Audi is charged off my solar system, so it’s a stranger to fossil fuel use as well as gas stations.

On a relevant question back at ya @4wheelgreg , why would gas prices become “insane”, given the long term lowering of demand by the shift in the market to EVs over the next several years?

Buy a boat with twin V-12 turbodiesels and worry about other fuel payments...

If you can't afford the fuel ( a very minor concern compared to overall expenses) sell the vehicle, boat, plane, car, scooter...

My plan is to keep doing what I’m doing. I drive an Audi EV for all local trips and use the LC only for towing and long road trips. The Audi is charged off my solar system, so it’s a stranger to fossil fuel use as well as gas stations.

On a relevant question back at ya @4wheelgreg , why would gas prices become “insane”, given the long term lowering of demand by the shift in the market to EVs over the next several years?
I think @4wheelgreg might believe prices will rise because of the current Keystone shutdown and canceling many drill permits. I do believe prices will rise as they are already doing so. For many of us, we can tolerate the increase because of our income and other driving options. Many Americans are not so fortunate. I do know OPEC is going to increase supply output to prevent a sharp increase in fuel prices. But, they are only doing it because it benefits them if America goes back to relying on foreign countries for gas.

I personally will continue driving my 200, even if fuel prices were to hit $10gallon. I don’t see that happening. $5 is very likely in places like Cali but most of America might see a national average of $3.25. My daughter really wants me to get a Tesla. I do think an EV is in my near future for running errands. I certainly don’t need a 200 to pick up groceries and go to the gym after drop in kids off at school. An EV would be a great addition that I’m looking forward to.

We have a hybrid and a plug-in that act as our runabouts. The 200 is for playtime only.

I personally can’t wait until there are realistic options for capable, electric, off-roading vehicles, but I’d be happy with a hybrid option to start.

As solar and battery tech improves, the prospect of having an overlanding vehicle with practically limitless range improves.

Gas prices effect lower priced gas guzzlers and hybrid sales, not so much $90k luxury awesome vehicles, especially ones in this high demand and such limited supply. Even that, we have allocation cut so short on Tundra with the shortage that SET has no incentives on them whatsoever. Gas prices won't be an issue until they get close to or above $4 a gallon again, and even then nobody shopping for an LC will care.

I expect the government to start taxing gas more and more in order to increase sales of EV - just my opinion. And eventually total tax revenue from gas sales will decline thus putting more of a burden on the road infrastructure.

I do think the current administration is perfectly comfortable with high gas prices and they are going to gradually increase. It helps to further their green agenda. In terms of LC and LX owner....it’s a different breed of people and typically higher incomes. Just take a look at the “Whats Your other car thread”. I dont think you’ll see prices impacted. High gas prices will not impact my driving/buying behavior. Unfortunately higher gas prices impacts folks disproportionately and will hurt many Americans. I do think you’ll see GM and Ford large SUV sales impacted. For me a key indicator will be when you start seeing GMC running 0% for 84 months On their Yukon’s. That’s when you knew trouble lies ahead.

I do think the current administration is perfectly comfortable with high gas prices and they are going to gradually increase. It helps to further their green agenda. In terms of LC and LX owner....it’s a different breed of people and typically higher incomes. Just take a look at the “Whats Your other car thread”. I dont think you’ll see prices impacted. High gas prices will not impact my driving/buying behavior. Unfortunately higher gas prices impacts folks disproportionately and will hurt many Americans. I do think you’ll see GM and Ford large SUV sales impacted. For me a key indicator will be when you start seeing GMC running 0% for 84 months On their Yukon’s. That’s when you knew trouble lies ahead.

Yep, and watch food price inflation hit 25% to 50% in the next 12 months.

The manufacturers have already reduced portion sizes to the point of being a joke, even to consumers who have no idea about macro-economics. are noticing sometime.

BIG food has let it be known they cannot/ will not absorb the raw material cost increases any longer including increased energy costs.

The factories and delivery trucks/ trains / barges / freighters don't run 100% on unicorn dreams yet... but very soon, I'm told they will...

And at some point: tenants will have to pay landlords rent again, homeowners pay mortgages again, graduates pay student loans again, etc...

Amazing how much extra $$$ you have to $pend when you don't have to pay your bill$...

Buying much stock in unicorn farms???

Peace

Just did my taxes and the Accountant asked if I had bought a EV there was still a credit for $7500 ... Like EV but still in its infancy , My little Tacoma eats about 30 bucks a week which is cheap , I have a new GMC Duramax I use to haul the toys ... lucky all are paid for and only have to pay the feed bill .
I was looking at adding a new Jeep JKU eco diesel ... just can't pay 60k for that Jeep is just about what I paid for the full size GMC with a Duramax .
Not much will change with me , I just have the options to drive and change it up .
Just trying to finish up getting all the parts I need for the 200 LC , I see Hyper inflation and the price of everything going threw the roof .

The Houthis have stepped up assaults on Saudi Arabia and last week claimed it hit a Saudi Aramco fuel depot in Jeddah with a cruise missile. It wasn’t clear how much damage had been caused. While such assaults rarely result in extensive damage, their frequency has created unease in the Gulf, a region key to global oil production.

Happening NOW today 3/7/2021.... Shut down that pesky XL in the USA and OPEC says...

Earlier on Sunday the Saudi-led coalition said the Iran-backed Houthis had fired projectiles at the kingdom and said a U.S. decision to revoke their terrorist designation had fueled rising attacks. It said had carried out retaliatory air strikes on Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, targeting the Houthis it has been battling for six years.

Needless to say, ignore the diplomatic BS, and keep in mind that everything the Houthis do when it comes to "attacks" on Saudi territory and especially Aramco facilities is known well in advance by Riyadh.

And since today's attack will likely send Brent surging once it reopens for trade in a few hours, our only observation on the matter is that shortly after shocking the world by extending production limits in last week's OPEC+ meeting, it now appears that Saudi Arabia is indeed hell bent on getting the black gold to hit triple digits as fast as possible...

Peace

If you can afford a 90k vehicle, you can afford to put gas in it.
Ha. Have a cousin that’s a Lamborghini mechanic. You’d be surprised how many people can’t afford a brake job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom