High End Kitchen Appliance recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are building a house and picking out some high end appliances for the kitchen. Any brands to avoid? I got sucked into online reviews and it seems most of the high end stuff gets some bad reviews but in reality, who reviews a positive experience with their appliances!

Here is what we are considering in the order of what we seem to be leaning toward the most. House resale is important to us and we need this one to be on par with the more "luxury" properties.... (And yes, I know spending $15k on a range, 12-15K on a fridge, etc.... is sort of ridiculous!) The fridge will have cabinet paneling on the outside so its all about the size/ inside.

1: Dacor - Honestly their stuff just looks awesome. I think my wife was physically turned on when she opened the refrigerator. (This could be worth the expense alone hahaha!) The 48 inch range is pretty awesome and beefy looking.

2: Gaggenau - Borderline too contemporary but super clean lines. Its got a little exotic euro flair to it.

3: Paykel-Fisher - Sort of a brand I'm not that familiar with but their stuff looks great.

4: Viking - I think their stuff is super well built and may require less servicing over time. But its more common and maybe not as sleek looking. I'm not really a guy that likes stuff everyone else has/expects.

Anyone have experience with any of these or suggest others? I guess I'm looking for someone to talk us out of the Dacor stuff.

Not on your list, but stay away from Subzero for yourselves in the long run. From first-hand experience. Nowhere as reliable long-term as the price implies. And I would check carefully the reliability ratings for any other brand of interest. But if you plan on reselling before too long, then a high cachet brand -even if not very good actually- may help (or be necessary depending on the part of the market) and the reliability may not be critical (well, as long as it is still running when you are selling). Repairs for high-end brands are also a major racket in my experience, another turnoff.
One thing I would also warn a prospective appliance buyer friend of mine is to stay away (again, if you plan to keep it) from weird built-in sizing. If you build cabinets etc around an expensive built-in fridge, say, you may be stuck with that brand or not having a very good or easy fit later on if you need to change brand or maybe even model.
As you can likely tell, if I were to buy a house now, I'd scrutinize high-end appliances as I think they may be more a liability than a big plus. (Sorry...) But I may be in the minority.

Not on your list, but stay away from Subzero for yourselves in the long run. From first-hand experience. Nowhere as reliable long-term as the price implies. And I would check carefully the reliability ratings for any other brand of interest. But if you plan on reselling before too long, then a high cachet brand -even if not very good actually- may help (or be necessary depending on the part of the market) and the reliability may not be critical (well, as long as it is still running when you are selling). Repairs for high-end brands are also a major racket in my experience, another turnoff.
One thing I would also warn a prospective appliance buyer friend of mine is to stay away (again, if you plan to keep it) from weird built-in sizing. If you build cabinets etc around an expensive built-in fridge, say, you may be stuck with that brand or not having a very good or easy fit later on if you need to change brand or maybe even model.
As you can likely tell, if I were to buy a house now, I'd scrutinize high-end appliances as I think they may be more a liability than a big plus. (Sorry...) But I may be in the minority.

I actually really agree. I mean I've really never needed a regularly priced fridge need "service". Its sort of like expensive cars, you pay more and then you... pay more. and pay more often. Buying this stuff is total vanity and frankly somewhat reckless but I think it financially makes sense for this house. II just don't want to be the guy with a $15,000 fridge and freezer combo that's loading up on coolers to save his groceries from rotting once a year.

yep. It may not make sense for a house you'll keep long but you may need that to attract the right crowd if you sell.

I won't comment on your wife's reaction, and I must unequivocally state here for the record and whoever may be reading this that without a doubt I would absolutely positively not even remotely think of taking advantage of that myself under any foreseeable circumstance... :)

Hahahahaha!!!!

As an Architect, a couple of the issues I've run into with such selections:
  • This has already been hit on, but the odd sizes can be an issue when it comes to replace them.
  • Commercial grade cooking appliances can also come with commercial grade code requirements for air makeup and fire suppression.
  • Similarly, commercial grade appliances may be noisier than typical residential equipment. Things like refrigeration compressors may make a lot more noise than their residential counterparts.
  • Safety can be an issue - both for the user and for the design requirements. Commercial grade cooking appliances typically provide a lot more heat and don't cool as quickly. That's not a problem in a commercial kitchen with professional personnel, but can be an issue around children. It may also be an issue for how close cabinetry can be placed or for other shielding requirements. You may also need a rider on your insurance to account for the equipment if it is above a certain BTU rating.
  • Cleaning, maintenance, and service can be more involved than residential units.
These are becoming less of an issue as commercial suppliers are developing residential lines of equipment. But it is something to be aware of as you "blur the line" between residential and commercial units - mainly with the cooking appliances and the extra heat issues.

We remodeled our kitchen in 2015. We purchased a 36" Dacor all-gas rangeER36G. In general I've been happy with it, but I have had to do some minor repairs--replacing the temperature probe in the oven, one of the lights went out in the knobs (which actually turned out to be a control board!). Another thing I noticed (same as our old GE gas stove) is the plastic on the knobs cracks. my Dacor has a clear plastic ring because the knobs light up when turned on (which is nice) but the plastic is all cracked. It doesn't effect functionality, but it looks cheap. I guess the Dacor are known for their electric ovens (the appliance salesman was like "why even buy a Dacor if you're going to get a gas oven", but the oven does work pretty good (for me) for baking, etc. Plus there are not any fancy controls--just knobs for heat/gas flow and toggle switches for the light and convection fan. (The GE we replaced would reduce the oven set point by 10 degrees when turning on the convection fan). I liked the layout of the stove top because it is symmetric and there are two same size burners in the middle, which is where I put the griddle (although the griddle is really supposed to go to one side).

We got a Miele dishwasher with three racks (top rack is for flatware). It has been trouble free and is quiet.

The appliance salesman started showing us about the same refrigerator as we already had (Jenn-Air) so we kept the old one which must be 15 or 20 years old by now. It is still going despite the kids leaving the doors ajar quite often.

I used to be a diehard GE fan but after the washer/dryer and the fridge unit we bought a few years ago, I have sworn off them.
While not high end, I have a whirlpool stove and fridge in my cottage that I really like.
Doest the job very well and just keeps on tickin.
Of course now that I said that I'm sure one of them will crap out.
Bobmo

I would also look at electrical consumption. I don't know how much of that was the design age and how much the manufacturer (Subzero) of the old one but our new replacement fridge will be paid off in something like 3 or 4 years by the electrical savings alone.... And it cools better too.

Actually, I should clarify that the new fridge was "paid for" already -so to speak- when new because repairing the fancy Subzero would have cost almost as much as buying a new less expensive one and it would still have been an old fridge ready to fail yet again at that point. As I said, repair costs for luxury items carry luxury prices. So, no-brainer...

Last edited:
Capital makes a range that several of my chef friends have owned or endorsed:

I have a Viking 60" hood with a remote extractions fan I've been very happy with. My range is an 80 year old Chambers & I have a Miele wok burner built into the adjacent cutting board which also fits under the hood. Hood is very very important if you're gonna use your kitchen seriously.

Miele is the gold standard for dishwashers, but there are a number of folks in the drawer space that are nipping at their heels.

I have several Liebherr fridges which are dead silent and very energy efficient, however one has needed service once and sometimes "throws a code". Both are 10+ years old now. Happy in general and no lost food.

Last edited:
I'll be a bit contrarian and say I have loved all 4 sub zeros we have owned. I wouldn't own a house long-term without one (or two). I'm a big fan of the Bosch 900 series for dishwashers and Wolf ranges and ovens. If going high end I would install a double oven and at least a 6 burner range. I don't like a lot of gadgetry inside so I've always stayed away from indoor grilling, etc. Just give me 6 burners with very high turndown capacity. I have had Viking ranges and double ovens before and their reliability is not up to par with Wolf. Sub Zero also makes a great split zone, undercounter wine fridge. We have had one for about 15 years and have moved it to 3 different houses without issue. Good luck with the selection. If I were building new I would budget something like $35k for kitchen appliances.....if truly going high end.

I'll be a bit contrarian and say I have loved all 4 sub zeros we have owned. I wouldn't own a house long-term without one (or two). I'm a big fan of the Bosch 900 series for dishwashers and Wolf ranges and ovens. If going high end I would install a double oven and at least a 6 burner range. I don't like a lot of gadgetry inside so I've always stayed away from indoor grilling, etc. Just give me 6 burners with very high turndown capacity. I have had Viking ranges and double ovens before and their reliability is not up to par with Wolf. Sub Zero also makes a great split zone, undercounter wine fridge. We have had one for about 15 years and have moved it to 3 different houses without issue. Good luck with the selection. If I were building new I would budget something like $35k for kitchen appliances.....if truly going high end.

$35k seems about right. We are now considering Wolf for the range as well. My mother in law loves hers and it’s been trouble free for 10+ years.

we should make our decision in the next week! Thanks to all that have weighed in thus far.

FWIW we just bought our retirement home. It has the typical 4' sub zero fridge/freezer combo, a relatively new Wolf 6 burner range, and had a Dacor double oven. The electronics were partially out on the Dacor double oven which we knew going into the deal. We quickly found it impossible to get a replacement board new or used. I think the previous owners had already replaced the Dacor range. We replaced it with a Wolf M series double oven which the wife is thrilled with. Hopefully it will be the last double oven we ever buy. That Wolf range by the way is incredible. Double burners on each eye.

Have been building homes $$$$ for over 32 years now and the #1 complaint/service required is Subzero.
Time and time again issues, so Subzero is a no buy.
Miele DW are a defacto for our homes. They are made better than the rest , warranty is unmatched. Silent and super clean.
But because they are made in the EU they do not dry as well as other brands. It's about electrical consumption.
Ranges and cook tops are mostly all well made. Typical problem is the piezo igniter. Found out that American Manufacturers are obligated to carry repair stock for 7 years and no longer. GRRR. In a time span of 2 months had 3 of my clients Thermador 48,36 cooktop and 36" range die. No parts available. Three angry customers.
A note to remember with large CFM hoodfans is that in many cases a make up air or a heated make up air unit will be required to overcome the negative air pressure that these large hoodfans can create. This can be spendy $$$$.

This is what we were worried about! Expensive crap breaking down and parts availability. It seems like par for the course online.

there has been a slight change to the plans on our end. My inlaws (they are home builders and the ones building this house) have just told us they are gifting us the appliances! I’m guessing that we end up with Wolf stuffsince that’s what my mother-in-law swears by but they won’t tell us what we are getting.
So... I guess picking isn’t so much an issue now.

That being said, this thread was way more active than I expected. Maybe we can hint at Miele for the dishwasher since this seems to be widely accepted as the best!

we do need to somehow hint that we really want the cabinet faces on the fridge though I won’t complain if that’s not what happens

Another happy SubZero customer. So much so that since our "commercial" Thermador range is on the way out (assholes no longer make the burner ignitors), I'll likely get a Wolf range to replace it. SubZero and Wolf are the same company. And reliability may or may not be an issue, but in the shorter term the SubZero is better at being a fridge.

We're about 7 years into our current fridge, and it could die tomorrow, but it has been great and so far, only needed a minor repair to the ice maker.

Bosch dishwashers are better than most, but will get a Miele next time. My brother has one is it is basically silent.

Avoid, avoid, avoid any consumer grade GE appliance no matter how shiney.

We recently had a client get a Blue Star gas cooktop. (unsure if the op needs a slide in range/oven all in one, or can go separate). It was a bit rough around the edges finish wise, but the design was utilitarian, and everything was serviceable.
I second the vote for Meile dishwashers even though install can be tricky. The higher end Bosch units seem to be solid as well. We pulled a Wolf range out of a clients house last year because they were quoted a crazy amount for a repair (I didn't get the whole story, I was there to shave down some quartz counters to get the replacement to fit).
I like Vent-a-hood for simple no nonsense hoods that are easy to mount and just plain work. I can't remember if this is IBC, or just my State but anything over 400 CFM requires additional make up air stuff.

The higher end Bosch units seem to be solid as well.

We just bought a new home 2 years ago with top line Bosch range, double oven and dishwasher. Very happy with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom