High elevation, why you need a Turbo, Supercharger, or V8 swap in your L.C. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned my 94 Land Cruiser going on 2 1/2 years, and during all that time it has taken my wife, and i everywhere we wanted to go. We would do 1, or 2 day camping trips in the cool winter months all over the desert southwest. There are some really cool places to check out in the desert when it's not a 110 degrees in the shade, plus it's alot less life threatening.

Anyway over the last 2 years I've been slowly working on making us a small expedition trailer to carry all our camping gear. The reason we wanted an expedition trailer, with it set up as our base camp we would no longer have to break camp each time we wanted to use our truck to do some exploring.

So this past weekend i finely finished our expedition trailer. So we make plans to try it out first by heading off to the cool mountains where we've never been camping with our L.C. the camp ground elevation there is a little over 7000 feet. During our drive there we encountered some 6, and 7% uphill grades. I have to say that the extra weight (1250 pounds) of our expedition trailer with camping gear did not effect the performance of our truck to much in the low lands.

Once we started climbing up 6, and 7% grades above the 2500 foot elevation mark, performance started to noticeably drop off. The higher we climbed in elevation pulling the extra weight of our trailer, the worse our performance got. By the time we got above the 6000 foot elevation mark, if we had to drive up a long 6% grade we were lucky to be going 45 MPH by the time we reached the top.

On flat highways above 6000 foot it seemed like the truck was down 50% on power. If you needed to pass a slower car, you needed to wait till there was a really BIG gap in oncoming traffic. When we got to the area where we were planing to camp (above 7000 feet), even driving at off road speeds, there was a VERY noticeable drop off in engine power. I hate to think what Mud members living in the Rocky Mountains deal with.

So yes, i feel if your planing to live, drive, or explore out west in the upper elevations, it would be wise to invest in a Turbo, Supercharger or V8 swap to compensate for this lack of power. This is Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

If this is the wrong place to post this, please feel free to move it.

Last edited:
I live at 4000' and it's a climb in almost every direction around me. I can't imagine what it must be like to drive at sea level.

I live at 4000' and it's a climb in almost every direction around me. I can't imagine what it must be like to drive at sea level.

GPS says 22 feet of elevation, Baton Rouge. Driving at sea level - f'ing boring, to say the least.
I'd trade up for desert and mountains any time.

And with the traffic around here, you couldn't let the motor out even if you wanted to...

Last edited:
One highway out of town crosses the continental divide @ over 6300'

LC%20limit_zps0e98dgtp.jpg

See sig for my solution. Couldn't be happier. Well, maybe if my transmission didn't s*** the bed on the first trip... but that'll be fixed shortly.

45 MPH?

Wow, that's blazing fast from my prospective as a former FJ55 owner. Lucky to hit 30 MPH on many road grades in Colorado...be patient, you'll make it to the top.

8CinnamonPass1977.jpg

I'd argue this is what Low Range is for. Couldn't do that in a Pig. But if you do the mod or already have the CDL Lock button, you can get Low Range, CDL unlocked, and enjoy somewhat better performance at altitude even on the blacktop. Still going to be slow. We also have a trailer, so not exactly looking forward to the scenery going by so slow, but I'll get there.

yeah I always wondered how people deal with this. my '97 on 33's is pretty damn slow in the bay area. Painful to drive up to the mountains. I can't imagine living in Denver etc.

Learn your Land Cruiser and use 2nd gear.
At ~7000lbs basically stock drivetrain and 35's I have no problem keeping up with traffic going up hills. Often Im asked traveling with other Land Cruisers "is your LC SC" nope I just use 2nd gear.
I have another turbo charged 80 series and the only time I miss the power is in town.

I live at 8k feet and drive around 7k-10k pretty frequently. I guess the good part of living in a small town is that I'm not generally doing big long hauls. But I've been wondering if there's any mods I could do to make things better living up here.

What Phil said. Manually working the trans w/ the OD off button, and 2nd gear make it a much more pleasant experience than just mashing the pedal to the floor and waiting. The 1FZ doesn't seem to mind some revs.

Yep, can't be done!:hillbilly: As others have mentioned, there is a shifter, use it early, keep the motor in the power band, not a race car, but will get the job done. But mine is pretty light, 37"s and stock gears.
imogene.jpg

"Don't Worry Be Happy"

Haven't had the pleasure (and pain) of climbing the Rockies with the 80 yet. Curious if 2nd gear will be better than Low Range, unlocked with a trailer, which was the specific question here?

I understand Second gear would be a better option without the trailer, but also know what a performance suck getting going when anything above 9,000 feet is involved. To a certain degree, this also probably differs according to whether you're on the highway or the trail, as no one cares how slow you're going on the trail. I know I'll be trying all the tricks when we do return to Colorado, so not set on anything but what works best with the situation. I tend to spend a lot of time above 10,000 feet when we do go, but doing it with the trailer is whole new experience.

2nd gear trick makes my truck overheat :( Turbo was actually easier on the truck from a water temp standpoint :eek:

you'd be pushing low range hard on the freeway. Plus you'd have to pull off to transfer. IMO not worth it.

I hauled my fully loaded rig on 35's an 4.10's with the trailer in the photo below over I-70 to moab. Thats through the eisenhower tunnel and over vail pass, the slowest I got was 45mph and that was on the last 200 yards of climb up to the tunnels. I was holding around 50-55 most of the way up. If you're going slower with the 1fz-fe you may want to look into a tune up.
img_0984-jpg.1452643

Also when climbing in 3rd gear if you want to keep your trans temps lower click OD/OFF and it will tell the trans to lock the torque converter. Atleast thats the case on the A442F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom