High cold engine start-up idle fixed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings:

Since purchasing my 80 2 years ago, the high sustained idle at start up (1800-2000) has frustrated me to no end. Tried the O-ring fix, truck did not respond properly.

Over the weekend, I cleaned the throttle body with NAPA Throttle Body and Choke Cleaner and guess what? High start up idle fixed! Cold engine high idle does not exceed 1200-1300. :cheers: Any ideas why this would solve my high idle problem?

Thanks,

Steve
94 115,000

Nope. I cleaned out the throttle body, both intake chambers, head, and the block, and the startup motor speed is still high.

Can anyone tell me what the fitzer valve is or where I can find the "O-ring fix" ? I am trying to troubleshoot this problem on my 80.

I have never heard of a "fitzer valve" and suspect it was BS as nobody posted on this thread again and the guy who posted that has only 4 posts - may not be here. Do a search or look in the FAQs about the high idle fix. I'll be doing it in the next few weeks.

DougM

I woudl suggest checking the fitzer valve also.

Can anyone tell me what the fitzer valve is...

I have never heard of a "fitzer valve" and suspect it was BS...

IdahoDoug, you are correct again.

The Fetzer Valve is a fictional engine component from the movie Fletch:

Willy: What the hell you need ball bearings for?
Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. [leans arm on hot engine part]
Fletch: Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Non-tech BS.

OK Thanks. I have been through the faqs before but I will try again.

It is causing my engine to knock sometimes during startup due to the excessive idle speed so I need it to be fixed soon.

i ended up putting 3 washers on the stalk inside the IAC Valve- finally fixed this issue for me...

cleaned all tb lines, egr valve, intake manifold...fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom