high beams??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my head lights work fine when i turn em on but when i flick on the high beams they turn off! Any ideas?¿?

Well, your high beams could be burned out. When you switch to higbeam, tha lowbeams are turned off, so if the highs are burned out, the lights effectively go out.
You don't say what year youe cruiser is, but mine is old and has the "step-on" highbeam switch. If that is the case with yours, you can check the leads in the switch from underneath. A multi-meter comes in real handy for that, turn lights on, put high beams on and check for 12V at the switch, the H/L s***ch, that is. If you've got power there, it is farther on down the line.
Check the bulbs first then start checking from the s***ch to the bulbs.
GL
Ed Long :)

sorry its an 86 fj60 i thought that to and i replaced the headlights (on sale at store near me) still no highs all fuses look good guess im gonna have the check the wiring original owner said highs or horn dont work and that he used to have trouble with the horn before so i set up a toggle switch on the dash to work the horn.
But when i do click the highs on it does put the indicator lights up on the dash so i didnt think it was the wiring

Patience, the forum is free!

Try this. You need to unhook your battery and you need a continuity tester.

If you have already tried the headlight replacement (if both go out, I would have highly doubted burnouts...), the next most likely candidate is the beam switch. Unhook the turn signal harness coming out the bottom of the column and figure out which one in the "Power in" pin. (there are a variety of ways, tell me if you can't figure this out.) With one clip of your continuity tester on the "Power" terminal and the switch on the "low beam" setting, see that you get continuity to which other pin. That's your "low beam" terminal which sends power out to your low beams. You should stop getting continuity when you flip the indicator to "high beams." If not, try another pin until you get this result.

WHen you have figured out which is your low beam, the other is your high beam. You should get continuity between your "power in" terminal and the high beam terminal whenever the switch is flipped to high beam. If not, take get up real close to the switch (you probably had to remove the column cover already) and make sure there isn't any crap accumulated in the switch. If there isn't, you might try another switch. I would keep playing with the continuity tester until you find where, when you go from low to high, you go from continuity between ground and your low beams to no continuity between ground and high beam terminals on the back of your headlights.

HTH

I would check the switch and also the relay and fuses if you haven't already. If the indicator light comes on then it very possibly could wiring/bad connection etc. What I would do is check for power at the headlight when you turn on your high beams and then trace back to the fuse block.

My FJ62 used to do the same thing. I figured the switch was going bad or was just dirty. I could flip the switch back and forth several times, and it would start working.

Thanks to the info in this thread I just resolved the same issue. I have a 77 FJ40 and the headlights worked fine on low beams but as soon as I activated the high beams, my headlights shut off. After reading through this thread and a few others, I pulled the cover off the steering column and cleaned the contacts with a little emory paper. Everything's fine now. Thanks!

I'm having the same problem on my jan 72 fj40. I shorted the contacts across the floor switch and my highbeams kicked on. SOo I need to order a replacement floor highbeam switch. Does anyone know where to order that guy? I couldnt find it on sor or coolcruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom