High beams won’t stay on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I pull the stalk towards me the high beams come on and the dash indicator comes on too.

If I push it foward no high beams and the dash light doesn’t come on. Looked at all the fuses in the interior panel and they’re all fine. Any ideas?

Also my freaking oil pressure gauge seems to be out. Changes the sending unit and cleaned the wires, if I hookup a bulb testing to the wire that goes to the top round part it light up so it’s getting power. Maybe the gauge itself is bad, as it sits below the line

If I pull the stalk towards me the high beams come on and the dash indicator comes on too.

If I push it foward no high beams and the dash light doesn’t come on. Looked at all the fuses in the interior panel and they’re all fine. Any ideas?
If the high beams work in the flash position but not the ON position, then the issue must be with the stalk switch.

Also my freaking oil pressure gauge seems to be out. Changes the sending unit and cleaned the wires, if I hookup a bulb testing to the wire that goes to the top round part it light up so it’s getting power. Maybe the gauge itself is bad, as it sits below the line
did you test ground? 12v flows from the Gauge fuse, through the gauge itself, through the sender, and shares a ground point with nearly every item like the voltmeter, water temp gauge, etc.

1665605843441.png

1665607020498.png

sounds like a bad dimmer switch. flash works, but not the high position. BE-14 in the FSM

1665605754921.png

or lots of info on here about the dimmer or combination switch/stalk and repair.

Last edited:
did you test ground? 12v flows from the Gauge fuse, through the gauge itself, through the sender, and shares a ground point with nearly every item like the voltmeter, water temp gauge, etc.

View attachment 3139027

View attachment 3139044

sounds like a bad dimmer switch. flash works, but not the high position. BE-14 in the FSM

View attachment 3139025

or lots of info on here about the dimmer or combination switch/stalk and repair.
damn that's a lot of info haha! thank ill be looking into it more. electrical stuff is definitely my weak point hah

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. It was the stem switch, only lasted 30 years.
The Copper just completely wore away I managed to get it going again but it's a bit dickie. Will be replacing it soon.

20221008_115300.jpg

If the high beams work in the flash position but not the ON position, then the issue must be with the stalk switch.
I have this problem on my '94. A new switch is in the plan for year end maintenance.

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. It was the stem switch, only lasted 30 years.
The Copper just completely wore away I managed to get it going again but it's a bit dickie. Will be replacing it soon.

View attachment 3139443
How did you get that off the lever? I pulled the plastic surounding the steering wheel off and the screws look like a LIA to get to and get the mechanism out. I shot it with MAF cleaner and then throttle body cleaner in the event it was goo from the PO but it didn't work (had to try it). If I can get it off like you did then there may be hope. The part is only $115 but if I can fix this your way I can put that $$ to work on another part.

I removed the steering wheel first. Then from memory it's only a screw or two. The whole assembly comes out indicators, wipers and all.

I've since replaced it all. It Helped for a month or two but started failing again for me.

I removed the steering wheel first. Then from memory it's only a screw or two. The whole assembly comes out indicators, wipers and all.

I've since replaced it all. It Helped for a month or two but started failing again for me.
Thought as much ... Ugh, it's the planning of all the work that I want to do. ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom