high angle u-joints? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all, i soa'd my 85" 60 w/ no cut & turn and stock springs. i was under the assumption that notching the crossmember would allow clearance for the front driveline. well, under full droop the angle is too severe and the stock u-joints bind. a buddy mentioned high angle u-joints and the shops here in town only offered double cv joints with some vibration. i'm in az so the truck will only see 4hi on trails. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

on a side hijack my own thread note, does anyone have pictures of a front swaybar setup using 4x4 labs behind the axle tie-rod? i moved my frame mounts to the rear a few inches and still bent up the threaded bar stock connects when under full droop. thanks

I'm not sure that you will be able to make an '83 Fj60 work without a C&T. The front driveshaft is just too short. :(

Mark...

Did you guys get the "short" tranny and the DC front driveshaft in '83 like we did in the states? Or did you get the longer tranny with the standard driveshaft like the later '60s got in the states?

Mark...

Okay... If you have the H55F, then your tranny is a good bit longer than the 4 speed in the '83 FJ60. You may have a DC front driveshaft or a standard ujoint-ujoint, I'm not sure. But the shaft is longer and will have gentler angles because of it. A non-C&T is doable with that setup.

Mark...

my driveshaft won't reach just sitting on the road due to the crossmember. i plan on just dropping the crossmember a few inches to achieve clearance but under full droop the driveshaft won't even turn because the u-joints bind. mine's an 85' though, not an 83'. i did take off the swaybay to get the droop, that might have given me too much droop.

sounds like you might benefit from a limit strap or 2.
I have seen some high angle U-joints advertised somewhere but i dont know if they make them for a cruiser and they were $$$

I seen a U joint that had 2 joints on opposite sides pushed outwards to help clear but cant remeber where i seen them.

Well one if you have a cruiser then $ should not really be an object bc everything for these things are high. I am looking into running the trail gear front drive shaft. For now I just grinded the inside of the drive shaft where the u joints are and so far so good but I am going to get me a high angle drive shaft.

Oh yeah and for the money that they want for that high steer kit where it puts it in the back it is really not worth it just get the one that Marlin offers that is what I am running.

here is a pic of the high angle u joint i was talking about, i dont know if they make them to fit a cruiser though.

http://www.code4x4.com/articles/woods-u-joint/woods-super-flex.html
super-flex-u-joint-woods.jpg

Cody, those are not made for a cruiser.

AND, you have a longer tranny/tcase combo than an 83(85??)FJ60 has.

Without a C&T there is almost no way for his DL angles to be stable.

They will bind. A Cut N turn is the best answer for him. And the most cost effective..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom