High altitude performance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new arrival to the diesel world and am still getting my hands around some of the concepts. How do mechanical diesels adjust, if at all, at high altitudes? Specifically I'd be looking for how this works on a 1hd-t or -ft, but I'm sure the concept would apply equally to any of the non-computer controlled diesels. There's no feedback loop that tells the IP to perform differently based on altitude or observed performance, right? I know on my gasser the ECU changes the inected fuel amounts based on sensor feedback, but on a mechanical diesel system, there is no such feedback loop... sort of like stepping back in time to the carbureted world for gassers?

So should I expect a 1hd-t or 1hd-ft to perform much differently or burn much richer at high altitude? My home turf isn't that high - about 1,200 ft ASL - but I'll frequently be taking it to around 7,000' and might do the occasional trip to 13,000' (about 4K meters). I'm curious how EGTs will respond if the engine were optimized for low altitude but then is working hard at high altitude (e.g., crossing a highway mountain pass at 10,000' while towing a trailer). My intuition tells me an engine optimized at low altitude would be over fueled at high altitude and might be more prone to dangerous EGT levels.

If it's turboed it won't know any different, provided the turbo can support the additional shaft speed and airflow required to keep MAP the same

The 1HD-T and modern engines adujst themselves, the older disels like the 2H, 3B etc. smoke at higher altitudes and you can adjust them to run leaner just like a carbed gasser.

If it's turboed it won't know any different, provided the turbo can support the additional shaft speed and airflow required to keep MAP the same
Turbos still suffer at altitude. But nowhere near as much as NA.
Spool up is delayed, intercooling loads are higher, flow and choke limits are reached sooner etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom