High Altitude Jets? And Carb Rebuild Kit Suppliers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I imported a 78 FJ45 from Canada, and it has been running extremely rich. I finally had time last night to start on the carb to adjust the jets. The great team here on IH8Mud informed me that there are High Altitude jets built into the bolts on the carb itself.

I find the HA jets inside the bolts last night, but I am a bit confused. The two jets that I pulled OUT of the CARB had the numbers '122' and '150' stamped on them. The two jets that I pulled out of the BOLTS had '141' and '180' stamped on them. All of the jets appear to have different apertures, so what needs to go where???

Also, I figure since I have the carb taken apart, I might as well rebuild it. Where can I get a good rebuild kit at?? Should I just go to NAPA or is there a supplier that can get me the best kit for the job??

Michael Adams
Fort Collins, CO

On FJ60s, the stock primary is 141 but they ahave a high altitude compensator circuit. 122 Should be small enough for a non compensated carb to run fine at 5000 ft. I think something else is wrong.

So the 122 and 150 should be the combo that I should be using to compensate the High Altitude?

Well that isn't good. What else could be causing the engine to be running rich if not the jets?

Jl - thanks for the links, I should have clarified by asking whether a local autoparts store can provide the same kit as those I would have to order, or am I better off going through a Land Cruiser outfitter instead.

What makes you say it is running rich? Plugs fouled?

Well, first when it is running it has a horribly strong gas smell. Then black smoke is coming out of the tail pipe and leaving a black residue on the ground. If I let it idle in the garage, the residue first leaves a black stain and then when I rev it up, some fluid comes out of the tail pipe.

The jets was my first assumption, but now I'm not so sure. I replaced the fuel filter (which was restricted) and added new plugs, wires, rotor and cap. I need to adjust the timing slightly but I figured I would work on the carb first.

So, what else could be causing the black residue and gassy exhuast smell?? Maybe it just needs some carb work??

Oh yeah, the old plugs had quite a bit of carbon, but they could have just been really really old.

So, how were the plugs you pulled?

I assume you have it choked when you are idling it in the garage, and it will be relatively rich at that time. My engine spits out the same black water while warming up and then it clears when I ease in the choke. The plugs are looking great, however, so I know that it isn't really running rich during driving. It could be that your idle mixture is what is set rich, and your timing being off doesn't help. You might want to look at your new plugs (or a few of them) now, and see if some or all of them are carboned up. The issue may involve one or maybe two cylinders, and not all of them. that would be interesting info. There are a number of reasons for incomplete combustion, but I would set the timing first, then adjust the idle mixture according to the vacuum drop method. Then, see where you are.

IDave,
The plugs were pretty black.

The soot blows out as it idles, even after I stop using the choke. The black water drips out after I lay on the gas or use the throttle control to get the truck revving a little higher.

With the carb out now, I'll rebuild and clean it, put the 122 and 150 jets back in, and put everything back together. Adjust the timing and adjust the fuel mixture. Hopefully that will solve the problem. If not, I'll keep my eyes on the plugs to see if they are blackening up again.

Tech article from Toyota Engine Manual:

Translation (in case there is a question):

The "Throttle Valve Adjusting Screw" is what we call the Idle Speed screw, and is generally located at the rear of the carb below the throttle linkage.

The "Idle adjusting screw" is the mixture screw, generally on the passenger side of the carb.

Thanks a ton IDave, I have to do this soon (my 2f engine manual is on the way from Spectre).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom