High Altitude Cold Starting - 3BII (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will shortly be doing a 5 day trip at ~10,000ft elevation with a NA 3BII. Read through all of threads regarding running older toyota diesels at high elevation, expecting to possibly see smoke and have less power, but I'm more concerned with being able to restart the truck each morning. That is a topic I did not find info on.

I have never had starting issues, compression is excellent across all cylinders, and I have never seen smoke in any conditions. That being said, I have probably never driven higher than 5,000ft.

At 10,000ft with min temperature expected to be ~40F overnight - should I be concerned about starting and if I'm unable to run the engine in the morning what is the best solution? (Other than turbo it, obviously)

I don't think turboing it will help with starting, as there is no boost until the engine's running and under load anyhow.

I'd say good compression and a well maintained injection system/glow system are the most important factors. Sounds like things are good to go for you in that department. Only other thing that might help is one of those diesel coolant heaters that you can leave running overnight. Webasto is it?

Depending on where you are going, it likely wont be that cold this time of year, even at 10k. Make sure you have good battery(s) and glow plugs are working.

We camp and stay at above 8700' often during the winter, and visit over 10k several times most trips. My Isuzu IDI diesel starts right up, but does smoke some at first.

Here's how I start my 60 with manual glow plugs - I preheat the cylinders with 2 - 10 second glow plug cycles, then start it. As it first starts I cycle the glow plugs until it idles smoothly. Expect some white smoke at first also. Hey...it keeps the skeeters away!

It will also have black smoke at altitude - all diesels do, and power will be down...So you'll be even slower than normal!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info guys. That gives me a lot more confidence.

I'm going to Coyote Flat and the surrounding areas (eastern sierras), I believe the maximum altitude we'll hit on the route is 10,371' / 3,161m. I'll test the plugs before heading off and bring an extra set. I'll likely also bring a portable jump starter in case I need to go overkill on the pre glow. I have a manual system too, so I'll follow your lead.

Regarding the Webasto heater, I won't be able to do that before we leave but I'm interested in it long term. Do you have experience using one?

Is adjusting the fuel at the IP not something that would help or be recommended for this application? Personally I'm not too keen on messing with it for only a 5 day trip.

Thanks for the info guys. That gives me a lot more confidence.

I'm going to Coyote Flat and the surrounding areas (eastern sierras), I believe the maximum altitude we'll hit on the route is 10,371' / 3,161m. I'll test the plugs before heading off and bring an extra set. I'll likely also bring a portable jump starter in case I need to go overkill on the pre glow. I have a manual system too, so I'll follow your lead.

Regarding the Webasto heater, I won't be able to do that before we leave but I'm interested in it long term. Do you have experience using one?

Is adjusting the fuel at the IP not something that would help or be recommended for this application? Personally I'm not too keen on messing with it for only a 5 day trip.

Careful with how long you glow for. You can melt the tips of your glow plugs which makes them very difficult to remove from the head in one piece. Don't glow for more than 15 seconds at any one time. If your engine is in good shape, a 10 second glow should start it no problem even at below freezing temperatures. Toyota does do a 1/2 voltage after glow on many of it's engines. You can do this manually with full voltage by hitting the glow switch a second time for about 5-7 seconds once the engine is running and if it is stumbling.

I have not used a Webasto myself, but there are a number of threads on them on ih8mud, just do some searching.

Don't mess with your fuel settings; sounds like your pump is great as is. If anything, just put your accelerator pedal down a bit as you're starting it. This injects more fuel and does help with cold starting.

I've got a 3B in my Troopy--live in Colorado. Been over 10,000ft many times, and it always starts without any trouble. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. As others have noted, you'll have some black smoke out the exhaust up there, and your rig will be slower than normal, but it will get you there if you take it easy.

Thanks again.

So really just black smoke and less power. Luckily most of the high elevation driving will not be on a highway

If you have a problem with cold starts, you can remove the air filter, pour some methylated spirits in there and set it on fire. Replace the lid (loosley) and crank the engine. This will draw the heated air into the combustion chamber.
Or just use an ether based starting fluid (responsibly).

Lastly park facing downhill and pop the clutch, of course key on...I'm a fan of 3rd gear but decide you gear based on steepness!

Returned from the trip a couple of days ago, no real problems with starting. Thank you all for the information and reassurance. I get neurotic about these things when I have passengers and have the only vehicle.

The engine started on the normal glow cycle, the first time it missed for a few seconds. I used the wilson switch for after glow on the remaining attempts and this didn't occur. White smoke on startup, but oddly I didn't get any black smoke while driving. This is possibly from doing nearly everything idling in 4lo 1st gear, it was steep and muddy most of the trail...

Here's a pic on the beautiful plateau

IMG_3800.jpg

oddly I didn't get any black smoke while driving. This is possibly from doing nearly everything idling in 4lo 1st gear, it was steep and muddy most of the trail...

Yeah, that's probably it. The black smoke at altitude thing really only happens under load, when the motor is working hard but not getting enough air to mix with the fuel. Doesn't sound like you ever pushed it.

I had a problem starting at altitude in Crested Butte, CO in early February. 9600 ft elevation and a tired/low compression H diesel. I burned out the glow plugs trying to start it repeatedly. My Coleman propane 2 burner camp stove saved the day. I lit both burners on the stove and slid it under the oilpan. After about 15 or 20 minutes it had heated the engine compartment enough that it fired right up at -9F. (Don't try it on a gasoline powered engine.) If your glow system quits this little trick might get you out of a bad situation.

Happy that worked. Were you remote? No start situations in the middle of nowhere are terrifying.

An idea came to me recently regarding this situation. With an auxiliary power supply you could direct a heat gun or blow dryer into the intake while you try to start. Is that silly? I don’t think I’ll be able to test it anytime soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom