Hig RPM at Idle fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I finally got my new rebuilt carb on my 85, and it runs great, but it idles high, around 1300. Is that from mis-plugged vacuum hoses? I found a diagram and did my best to plug the hoses in the right spot, I'd say 95% are right...there are two or three that I couldn't figure out from the diagram I had (I need to get an emissions manual, but I don't know where to find one).

Is there somewhere on the carb that I can adjust that will lower the idle, ie a screw that adjusts the mixture?

nevermin, i got it figured it, I redid the hoses and found the screw, and i think it's working right.....i hope :)

check out the "Desmogged Carb" thread for some good info. Chime in there and let us know how yours is hooked up compared to the descriptions.

toyman317 said:
check out the "Desmogged Carb" thread for some good info. Chime in there and let us know how yours is hooked up compared to the descriptions.

Well...some previous owner really messed up the previous 'arrangement'. I was only worried about getting the carb ones correct, but upon looking at all the others, most of those didn't seem right, and that big clump of about 12 or 13 hoses had 3 or 4 not even plugged in. I'm sure that wasn't helping me pass emissions the first time! So, I just unplugged everything, half against my will, and used the two diagrams I managed to come across and now I'm 99% sure that they're all correct. One round of plugging made a very erratic idle when it was warm, boucing around between 800-1400, going high...going low. Now it idles like a champ at about 950 (what should it be?, I need to adjust the mixture just a pinch more, I just hate having to take off the whole air cleaner to do that).

All in all a pain in the rear, but, I'm not afraid of the hoses and carb anymore, which is good for the confidence! Now, I just need it to pass emissions.

The idle when warm should be around 650 RPM. Do you have any pictures.?I assume you still have all the plumbing for the smogg stuff. I know most everyone here will say fix it right smogged. The vehicle will hold its value better. Mine came without all the stuff there so it would be very difficult to put it all back.

wheezy said:
Well...some previous owner really messed up the previous 'arrangement'. I was only worried about getting the carb ones correct, but upon looking at all the others, most of those didn't seem right, and that big clump of about 12 or 13 hoses had 3 or 4 not even plugged in. I'm sure that wasn't helping me pass emissions the first time! So, I just unplugged everything, half against my will, and used the two diagrams I managed to come across and now I'm 99% sure that they're all correct. One round of plugging made a very erratic idle when it was warm, boucing around between 800-1400, going high...going low. Now it idles like a champ at about 950 (what should it be?, I need to adjust the mixture just a pinch more, I just hate having to take off the whole air cleaner to do that).

All in all a pain in the rear, but, I'm not afraid of the hoses and carb anymore, which is good for the confidence! Now, I just need it to pass emissions.

You don't need to remove the entire air cleaner to adjust the mixture. Just remove the cover only and get a long screwdriver to adjust the mixture screw. Sounds like you're along the right trackl with dialing it in. Just lower the idle and follow the 'lean drop' method of setting the mixture speed and idle speed. You can find this in the FSM or search on 'lean drop method' and you'll find some results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom