HIDs...I'm going to flip out!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:bang: :bang: :bang: :censor:

I got a set of the clear glass Depos that run H4 low beams and H1 highs. I have a set of H4 HIDs from JNB Enterprises/HIDXtra for the low beams that are driving me freaking nuts, though.

I initially installed the JNB HID set I had with 9006 bulbs into the stock housings and they worked perfectly for a couple months. There was a bit of a flicker at times but the bulbs never went out and they always ignited and stayed lit no matter what.

So, I get the Depos and I order a pair of new H4 low beam HID bulbs from JNB. I installed them and reused the same ballasts that I already had installed. Both bulbs would ignite and stay lit, but at some point the driver's side would go out. So, I installed a relay harness because I thought the OEM harness couldn't handle the HIDs and I thought it would get rid of the flicker, too.

At the same time as the harness I got a new battery, too. The other one was getting old and leaky, so I figured while I was messing around I'd put a new one in for SnG's.

Well, even with the new battery and the relay harness installed the driver's side would go out after a few minutes of driving, but when it failed was inconsistent. Sometimes it would go out after 2 minutes, sometimes after 30... And there's still a bit of intermittent minor flickering going on. So, time to start troubleshooting.

I switched sides of the bulbs. Bingo. The problem now changed to the passenger side. Simple enough. I got a couple replacement bulbs and changed it out. Well, WTF!? The problem still existed. The passenger side went out. Well, thinking it was maybe a ballast or connection/wiring issue, I swapped sides with the one new bulb and one old working bulb. Well, now the problem went back to the driver's side. F'n ridiculous...but I thought maybe there was just some crazy, one in a million chance I had got another bad bulb, even though I've been using JNB HIDs for years, as well have some buddys, with zero issues whatsoever. So, I swap in the OTHER replacement bulb I received....:censor::censor::censor: Same problem! Swap sides and the problem follows the new replacement bulb. So, is it really possible that 3 out of 4 of the bulbs I've received have been crap!?

I've been extremely careful with them....not touching them, not bumping them into things, etc.

What else could be going on!?!? The only explanation for this whole issue that I can come up with is that three of the bulbs have been defective. However, getting three defective bulbs out of four seems outrageous...especially from a known reliable source.

So, tonight I ordered a pair of new H4 bulbs from DDM Tuning...I'll try to install them and see if they work. I have a spare pair of ballasts if I need to test them at some point, but so far the ballasts have been checking out. I also have a couple spare relay harnesses so I could change out relays, too...but a bad relay or a bad ballast couldn't explain a problem that jumped from side to side whenever I changed bulbs...

Has anyone run into something like this before? Did I just run into a batch of crap H4 bulbs from JNB? Depending on what happens with the DDM bulbs I'll definitely be returning the JNB bulbs for a refund or at least some replacements to have on hand as spares (if they can ever send any that work!!!)...

Thoughts??? ...Sorry for the ranting and rambling. :flipoff2:

I had this happen before with some cheap ebay kits. Ended up being the ballast. I ended up buying a quality set for my X5 and havent had a problem in over a yr....and they are 55W.

Exactly, cheap ballast.

Do you guys think its the ballasts even though the problem follows the "allegedly" bad bulb from side to side?? Whichever side has the one known good bulb always works perfectly and consistently. Also, both ballasts worked perfectly for a couple months or so with the 9006 bulbs. All the problems happened when I changed to the H4s.

Anyway, if you guys think it could be the ballasts I will swap them out and give it a try.

Sent from my HTC Evo using IH8MUD

Me, I just run stock lights. Just sayin'.
Well, once you compare them to HIRs or HIDs you'll never be satisfied with stock.

However, to support your point, I'd rather run stock lights that work than HIDs that don't! :bang:

I am not sure if the electrical system for the 80s has a electrical monitor in for the headlights or not. I don't think it would but I don't know as I am new to 80's. However, if it does you would need to put in a resistor to trick the electrical monitor that there is the right amount of current coming into the monitor and all should be good then. I had to do this on a 02 BMW I had, it was a prolumen 35w slim digital kit.

Also have a e30, a 91 to be exact. I also put HIDs in it, they are DDM tuning direct plug n play with the euro lights I have. Anyways, they worked pretty good for a bit then the passenger side kept going out randomly. I didn't try to swap anything around, I just got on the forum and read up and it seemed that I needed to replace the 7.5 fuse with a 10 to let enough current through when the ballast first fired up. This fixed my problem and it hasn't been as issue for about a year now. Do the lights work fine with the truck off or is the problem while off and running?

I do not believe that 80 series trucks have a light out monitoring system.

To answer your other question, the lights always fire up just fine, whether the truck is on or off. I have a relay harness installed so all the power is coming directly from the battery, not through the OEM headlight harness. The OEM headlight harness just provides a signal to the relay.

Last edited:
I emailed them and this was their response

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this may have cause you, for issues like yours we can definitely conclude the batch of H4 HID bulb are defective from the manufacture, however most times when a certain side keep blowing out the bulb we can also assume the ballast is defective.

And base off the information you provided it sounds more like the HID ballast are the defective part and kept blowing out the HID bulbs, which if you swap the parts you will be able to see if the issue follows a certain side.

Please note we can only offer refund within the first 45 day of purchase one the item it purchase over the 45 day period we can only offer exchange and warranty.

Please advise how we can assist you with the issue you are having.

Thank you for contacting HID Support. We strive to provide you the best customer service for your HID purchase. If you have any feedback or suggestions regarding our customer service, please email us at csfeedback@hidsupport.com

I say just get a new set

I had this happen before with some cheap ebay kits.

I emailed them and this was their response

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this may have cause you, for issues like yours we can definitely conclude the batch of H4 HID bulb are defective from the manufacture, however most times when a certain side keep blowing out the bulb we can also assume the ballast is defective.

And base off the information you provided it sounds more like the HID ballast are the defective part and kept blowing out the HID bulbs, which if you swap the parts you will be able to see if the issue follows a certain side.

Please note we can only offer refund within the first 45 day of purchase one the item it purchase over the 45 day period we can only offer exchange and warranty.

Please advise how we can assist you with the issue you are having.

Thank you for contacting HID Support. We strive to provide you the best customer service for your HID purchase. If you have any feedback or suggestions regarding our customer service, please email us at csfeedback@hidsupport.com

I say just get a new set
Interesting... Thanks for doing that!!!

But if a ballast was bad, wouldn't it cause all lights to go bad when I swap sides? I still have one bulb that works no matter where it is... If the good bulb is on the left side, it works perfectly. That would tell me that the ballast and wiring are good on the left side. If the good bulb is on the right side, it works perfectly. That would tell me that the ballast and wiring are good on the right side, too. So, all I'm left with is that I have multiple bulbs that are crapped out. So far, I haven't heard any evidence that would contend that theory.

Also, like I mentioned before, everything worked perfectly when I was running 9006 HIDs for a couple months before swapping to the Depos. As soon as I tried running these new H4s the issues popped up. I realize that ballasts can go bad or fail, but it doesn't seem to be that issue...at least there has been no evidence to support a ballast issue.

Also, I'm not very comfortable just getting a new set from HID Xtra. I tried that already and both new bulbs are allegedly no good! I want to put this issue to bed so I got new bulbs from a different source to try them...

I'll install the new DDM bulbs whenever they show up....if they're bad then that should definitely mean that I have some sort of crazy, unexplainable ballast/wiring issue. :meh:

I haven't had a problem with my DDM kit since I installed it almost a year ago. I do know that they have excellent customer service/support though. I do know that some guys over on the e30 board have had some issues with the color of the bulbs not matching what they ordered but I got the right color when I ordered mine. The whole kit was around 50 with shipping if you need to end up replacing the ballast's. I don't remember their warranty length though.
I had prolumen on my e46 and I do know they have a lifetime warranty on everything except the bulbs, if I remember right the whole kit was around 200 if you end up going that way.
I hope the new bulbs fix your issue though.

The DDM bulbs showed up the other day and I got them installed yesterday. After a few test drives they performed flawlessly!

I'm confident in saying now that three of the four bulbs I got from HID Xtra were bad. They must have just had a bad batch or something...I'm not really sure how to explain it.

Anyway, nice to have that sorted out! Pain in the butt! I'll definitely be sending them back to HID Xtra for a refund. I'll also order another set of bulbs from DDM to keep in the truck with the other spare parts...

I do not believe that 80 series trucks have a light out monitoring system.

To answer your other question, the lights always fire up just fine, whether the truck is on or off. I have a relay harness installed so all the power is coming directly from the battery, not through the OEM headlight harness. The OEM headlight harness just provides a signal to the relay.

+1

I'm happy with my harness from Slee & it's a huge improvement over stock, especially with good bulbs ( I like Osram Silverstars personally, not the US release Sylvania, but real Osrams - just my personal flavor of choice) - that said, reliable HID are superior, just getting to that point sounds like plenty have struggled/difficulty getting there.

Schwein said:
ddm tuning, life time warranty and work every time in the 10 or so cars i have installed them on. Just saying.

I second that, I just ordered my 4th set last night from them for another project a have never had an issue. I have herd they no longer keep these in stock in HB and the orders come direct to the consumer from over seas now. Curious if there will be any diff in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom