Hidden storage for an overlanding build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is all great info. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all out. I am envious of the time you were able to take on your trip, we'll be doing a 2 month trip, shipping into Columbia and out of Paraguay. I'd love to do longer but with our careers and commitments this is the best we can do right now.

Remember it's spelled Colombia and Brasil. What's your route? I can put you in touch with the Land Cruiser club in Bolivia if you need any repairs or help there. What's the shipping quote out of Paraguay, or leaving the car there? We shipped into Montevideo and enjoyed it there.

Last edited:
Remember it's spelled Colombia and Brasil. What's your route? I can put you in touch with the Land Cruiser club in Bolivia if you need any repairs or help there. What's the shipping quote out of Paraguay, or leaving the car there? We shipped into Montevideo and enjoyed it there.

The current planned dates are for November 2018 but we have a lot of work and research to do still. We'll be taking a route down the western side of the continent, trying to see all the sights in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, and into Paraguay.

It's about 8 thousand miles or one travel day for every 2 "rest" days. With wanting to avoid Venezuela we had to cut Brasil out of the plans, we just couldn't get a route that made sense with our time constraints.

I haven't collected quotes since it's so far out but I am budgeting up to 3k each way. I will be taking the Cruiser home with me and taking her on plenty more adventures.

If you don't mind, could you let me know what shipping cost you?

The current planned dates are for November 2018 but we have a lot of work and research to do still. We'll be taking a route down the western side of the continent, trying to see all the sights in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, and into Paraguay.

It's about 8 thousand miles or one travel day for every 2 "rest" days. With wanting to avoid Venezuela we had to cut Brasil out of the plans, we just couldn't get a route that made sense with our time constraints.

I haven't collected quotes since it's so far out but I am budgeting up to 3k each way. I will be taking the Cruiser home with me and taking her on plenty more adventures.

If you don't mind, could you let me know what shipping cost you?

amounts are only my portion. The below amounts are oversimplifying a complex process of payments, insurance, middlemen, & delays
FL ($2000 paid in Florida)-> Montevideo ($2000 paid in UY) - Shared 40ft HC container
Cartagena -> Veracruz - Shared 40ft HC container ($3500 approx total)

I would recommend NOT shipping back to the USA directly, Also you can leave your car for 1 yr in Uruguay and return to continue your trip

You know, a lot of people go through the trouble of thinking burglars will tear up the vehicle looking for something.

Its quite the opposite. Most of the time, they'll just look for the quick, easy or the completely obvious. If you stash a lockbox under the carpet, or maybe even under the seat. If you have a drawer set (which they cant open unless they open the tailgate) or similar storage solutions, you'll be alright.

I'm south american, and I can tell you that the best way to avoid having your car broken into is to hide your stuff. Having electronics, valuables, audio systems, etc. In view, will cause them to break into your car. If they can't see anything at a glance, they'll move on to the next vehicle.

Did Alaska to Argentina in 2014/5 on a years trip with family. I created a custom console (moved handbrake) and that had a hidden compartment. Several places you can 'stash' some docs/money etc.

After @Hornd pic of the cocaine spare another thought strikes - if you do make some James Bond / Jesus Malverde -stuff, you better just show the friendly fellows at the border if it's too crazy.

If you don't they may choose to slow you down coming back into the States, esp @ the Juarez crossing.

If the HDJ has the same 'tuna can' as the FZJ on the air cleaner, I'd use it of the air cleaner. Maybe swap the wingnut for a nylocker & carry the wrench - call that your nod to "super secret squirrel" hiding.

Beyond that, make the exterior blend in with the locals & just have fun.

Keep a paper list of who all you can call if bad ju-ju happens, beyond that pretty much just go see the place.

I agree with this 110%! I worked with the Border Patrol on a mission in 1999, and if they had to find a secret compartment they usually weren't too happy. Make sure if you do build a secret stash to tell them BEFORE they check your vehicle. If you wait for them to find it, they won't stop until they find spot #2! And if you don't have a spot #2? Oh well..... I guess you can detail your vehicle as you put it back together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom