Hidden Factory Power Cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was changing out the sock fuel filter on my 96 LX today and noticed that there were two large gauge power cables under the carpet. They also has a couple of large gauge ground wires and what appears to be a small maybe 16 gauge red and black speaker wire or something hooked up in the same area. I decided to figure out where they started at and it turns out the large ones terminate right inside of the hood area coming out of the drivers side cab. Haven't checked where the small ones go yet. They are obviously installed from the factory. My question is are they there to power something on the LC or are they there so if a person wants to add a fuse panel or something else just as a courtesy. I guess I'm gonna hook a couple of fuse panels to it but does anyone have any idea the real reason for them?

I was changing out the sock fuel filter on my 96 LX today and noticed that there were two large gauge power cables under the carpet. They also has a couple of large gauge ground wires and what appears to be a small maybe 16 gauge red and black speaker wire or something hooked up in the same area. I decided to figure out where they started at and it turns out the large ones terminate right inside of the hood area coming out of the drivers side cab. Haven't checked where the small ones go yet. They are obviously installed from the factory. My question is are they there to power something on the LC or are they there so if a person wants to add a fuse panel or something else just as a courtesy. I guess I'm gonna hook a couple of fuse panels to it but does anyone have any idea the real reason for them?

Good question... could be another one of those things that was put in at the factory for an overseas option that was never installed.

Air Conditioning

I was thinking that there was a rear air option and wondered if it might be for a fan or something like that in the overseas options. Heavy wires for the the motor and the small wires for a switch maybe? I dont know just thinking out loud.

I don't know what you found but along the same lines I discovered what looks like a stereo amp plug behind the rear passenger panel near the stock amp. Was there an upgraded stereo option, with a better amp? Sorry to pirate your thread

Where are these cables located under the carpet? By the door jam or in the middle of the truck?

Drivers Side

The cables run down the drivers side under the edge of the carpet above the rocker panel and they just end out in the middle of the cargo area under the carpet.

I didn't even pay attention to them and where they went when I did mine. I am very curious to what they go to now too.

Amp?

No these were obviously from the factory by the way they are in there. I installed stereos for about 6 years and It looks like a factory setup to me. The wires were sealed up and stuck into the sticky stuff for the felt and they are the same type of large gauge cable that is used in other parts of the truck. i could be wrong but it definately looks factory to me.

JLM43

Are the cables in your LX as well?

Do you have a picture?

Can you throw a meter on them and see if one is hot?

I know they are not hot because i followed them. They come out the firewall in the engine bay and terminated inside of a loom with other wires. I didnt follow the small wires but i will tomorrow to see where they go.

Any other LX's Have this?

Just out of curiosity has any other LX owners seen these wires I speak of? They seem kinda Random and may be aftermarket but I would not understand why they would have been done the way they did it and used the kind of wire they did. Seems more like an OEM install to me still.

The 80 series has a low-end amp in the back PS side panel. I understand that the LX has the thumper in the center console. Not sure if this has anything to do with your wires, but thought I'd throw it out there.:popcorn:

I knew there was a sub in the rear of the LC I didnt know it had an amp backl there though. THis must be what it was for maybe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom