Hiace survey? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I give up $2000 later my Hiace is still a gutless POS. I'm soooo disappointed. I had heard it had excellent mileage, and I could suck it up if it was gutless but sipped fuel, but this sick.14-19l/100km, rarely able to do the speed limit on the highway. I can't believe this was built by Toyota... what were they thinking?
....sorry, just back from picking it up after dropping another chunk of dough with no improvement ...
-anyways I was wondering what kind of performance/milage other owners were getting, cause somehow I can't believe Toyota would make such junk, but the mechanics are telling me it pretty much is what it is.
fyi; 91 Hiace LH107 3L auto

yep, guttless and piss poor on fuel...
who ever lied to you should be told off and not nicely either...

Solution: sell Hiace for what you can get. Buy a 1HDT powered 80 series. Intercool it and upgrade transmission = no more slow lane. (I'm still debating the intercooling part). :)

PS if you are near Calgary go and see Wayne at Luxury. I'm sure he could help you.

I personally like the hiace, I have one here that someone wanted me to get for them, drives nice, good on fuel, does the speed limit no problem - although it won't break any land/speed records.

I am wondering if your electric throttle position sensor isn't messed up. If your transmission isn't shifting properly then that can explain poor economy and poor performance.

It is a huge van on the inside and seats 8 - great for hauling the family around in. A guy in town had his doing 140 he said, he cruises regularly at 120 he says.

Thanks for the feedback,
We just adjusted the throttle sensor, and advanced the timing.
Prior to that its had a complete inspection (no dragging brake pads) fluids, air filter etc. about the only thing that hasn't been done is yank the nozzles to test the pressures. I also looked to see if I was leaving a trail of diesel behind me but the tank seems solid ;)

A guy in town had his doing 140 he said, he cruises regularly at 120 he says.

LOL!! how many km did it take to get to 140??
and i take it he drives down hill a lot...

I drove his van and I had it up to 120 just getting onto the highway here - had no problems getting to 120, i saw no reason to try 140.

Can only report what I experienced.

Regards,

I test drove a HiAce lastr year and it was indeed gutless. 3l non turbo. We could hardly get it to 110.

I'll be following this thread with great interest, as it was a really, really nice family vehicle. Almost bought it...

For those who do this kind of performance work... What do you look at engine wise? Can a standard exhaust be a limiting factor? My HDJ81 still won't go easily past 145 kph, at least it feels like it would take quite a bit of time to go much beyond that speed... And there are no stretches or road long enough, flat enough and smooth enough for testing more than 30 seconds or so at a time...

OK, I hear in my head wayne saying to take the turbo wastegate control off, right ;)

OK, i just took this van for a drive. No tail wind, flat stretch, i could only get to 121 kms/hr as some idiot in front of me would not move. I could have gotten more out of it for sure. It did not take me 50 miles to get to that speed either, for the size of the van, the size of the engine it was reasonable.

Also, the throttle position sensor is screwed up on this, it goes into overdrive too early thus making the climb a little longer than what it should be i suspect, that would also affect its top speed and how long it takes to get there. I will be getting a new sensor for this.

If you are 3000 ASL and expect to get 120 -140 out of it then keep dreaming, if you get 105 at that altitude then you are doing well for a vehicle this size. I will be getting one of these for my family, they are huge inside, cheap, and comfy, i don't care about the speed, as long as I can cruise at 100 I am happy. The yare definatly better suited for a family than a landcruiser (family with young kids).

I always run Lucas injector cleaner through every diesel vehicle i get in - usually makes a noticeable difference.
DSC00159.jpg

Last edited:
This vehicle wont be driven hard, the owner has a big family, not a speed demon by any means. And, nice flat territory around here, he will be ok.

Especially since I got my first speeding ticket 2 weeks ago in 18 years of driving!

I'd finally had enough of $140 fill ups in my '99 Suburban, so I decided to go for the Hiace. Majority of our driving is on fairly flat 2 lane 80km/h country roads. The kids are really excited to get it. I have 5 girls 8 and under - thus the need for an 8 seater.

Every time you tell me about how many kids you have I shudder. One of my 2 just got gastro again - daycare is a germpool. 2 kids nearly drive us to the brink every day - I can't imagine 5:)

This van is going to get better mileage than that suburban, not sure how it will compare to your HZJ73, will be interested to hear. The drive back to peterborough will give you a good idea.

Just waiting for the filters to come in - then it will be ready for you.

Every time you tell me about how many kids you have I shudder. One of my 2 just got gastro again - daycare is a germpool. 2 kids nearly drive us to the brink every day - I can't imagine 5:)

Once you have two, another or a couple more is no big deal. I usually have more than just my own at home. What's more difficult is getting all the parents to go along if they are not all your own.

One is hard, two is better, three's a company, much easier to deal with, less demands on the parents. Ask all old stock Québecois, they used to have 8 to 12 at home, one more or less, no difference. Now single children, what a contract! My sister in law is in this position, she's out of her wits with her teenage boy she micromanaged all her life.

...five daughters...under... wow, that must be quit something!
You're right it would be a good family vehicle, it'd also be an excellent commercial vehicle in the city. It handles well, looks cool, it's comfortable, and it'll likely run forever. In the end I made the mistake of thinking it'd be a good vehicle to tool around Canada in for a year or so, but it's not really a touring vehicle at least not in the mountains around here. It's already a 16 hr drive to visit my folks, I can't handle it becoming 22.
...So it's for sale no reasonable offer refused. Trades considered.

Just got this from my customer who bought the Hiace, mileage is not to bad for something that size.

"Hi Louis,

Well I'm loving the van. It is so neat. Even my mother-in-law drove
it and really likes it. She thinks it was an amazing deal.

Preliminary mileage figures so far are 10.8 litres per 100km. I'll
see how I'm doing after I've run through a few tanks and let you know.
I wish I had a Hiace cam running to capture all the looks as people
see it going by. ........ even had a teenager start cheering for her
as she drove by. Got a lap belt and car seat anchor mounted tonight
no problem. Got new tires for it today. 215 75 15 light truck tires.
Fit no problem no rubbing when turning. The turning radius is
awesome. When you pull a u-turn you think that the front wheels are
going to hit the curb but they don't. Going through the gears with
the insurance company. "Why did you buy another rhd vehicle?" etc.
etc. Can you get it repaired.....like somehow Toyota was using some
kind of different exotic way to manufacture only their rhd vehicles!!!
Some of the questions the underwriters ask are so stupid that when I
answer the customer service agent they realize what retarded questions
they are.

Thanks again."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom