Hi Y'all! New to the forum. I am about to acquire a 1998 100 series! transmission question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings!

This 100 I am about to acquire has about 250k miles on it. decent but worn shape overall. It's sitting for a few years but started right up.

Owner says the treansmission slips under power going uphill. I've read these trannys are pretty bomber, Could this prob be as simple as a solenoid replacement?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tomba

Second vote for diff lock to isolate issue.

OEM CVs plus Hub Flanges, bearing service, and draining and filling front Diff isn't free either (about $1200 If you do it yourself with current part prices) but cheaper than a transmission.

Also check fluid level with dip stick. The early 100s have one. If still unsure on condition, you can extract some fluid and send in for analysis. Usually pretty quick.

You are correct that the early 4 speeds are durable, but there are definitely ways to kill one. Lack of fluid changes, heavier towing with overdrive engaged, fluid loss, incorrect maintenance.

Vehicles that have sat a long time can be a lot of work, particularly if animals have inhabited it at all.

Second vote for diff lock to isolate issue.

OEM CVs plus Hub Flanges, bearing service, and draining and filling front Diff isn't free either (about $1200 If you do it yourself with current part prices) but cheaper than a transmission.

Also check fluid level with dip stick. The early 100s have one. If still unsure on condition, you can extract some fluid and send in for analysis. Usually pretty quick.

You are correct that the early 4 speeds are durable, but there are definitely ways to kill one. Lack of fluid changes, heavier towing with overdrive engaged, fluid loss, incorrect maintenance.

Vehicles that have sat a long time can be a lot of work, particularly if animals have inhabited it at all.
Thanks for the advice on this one. Sounds like I need to do some investigating. Also, there was clearly pepermeint smell in the car to keep rodents out..

Thanks for the advice on this one. Sounds like I need to do some investigating. Also, there was clearly pepermeint smell in the car to keep rodents out..
I'd bail

If you're that worried about it, price out a used transmission at a local salvage yard and see if its within your price range in buying the truck....

if youre getting the cruiser for cheap enough, even with a trans swap youll still come out ahead...kinda.. and if you get in over your head youll make a decent amount parting it out, so do it!

While it would suck to have them in the car, its the havoc that varmints wreak on wiring and other components from the undercarriage up into the engine bay. Its not a reason to pass on buying a vehicle, but its worth climbing under the vehicle and taking a penlight through the engine bay looking at wiring harnesses to see if there is evidence of nesting or chewed wiring before it becomes a real problem. Look with particular care under the intake manifold as best as possible for a nest in the valley.

While it would suck to have them in the car, its the havoc that varmints wreak on wiring and other components from the undercarriage up into the engine bay. Its not a reason to pass on buying a vehicle, but its worth climbing under the vehicle and taking a penlight through the engine bay looking at wiring harnesses to see if there is evidence of nesting or chewed wiring before it becomes a real problem. Look with particular care under the intake manifold as best as possible for a nest in the valley.
@ClassyJalopy knows a thing or two about working on a 100 that had wiring damaged by mice.

thanks for that advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom