"Hi-top", "High-roof" or "Bubble" roof on the 60-series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, does any know where one can get one to replace the standard roof? SOR wants over 2K for a new standard one (dumb choice).

Second, I presume the original hitops were steel, but maybe fiberglass?

Third, does anyone make either standard or "bubble" fiberglass roof replacements?

Fourth, is there a more common or technically correct term for these?

Finally, anyone got a parts vehicle with an intact hitop on the East coast?

Bonus question: What models (be specific) were these high roof versions available?
attachment-1.php.jpg
60hitop.jpg

Hi

I cant help with sourcing a used roof but my HJ61 manual calls them a high roof and the FJ model a standard roof.

They are all steel not fibreglass, prone to rust around gutters!

The high roof is definitely on all HJ61 & 62's and some HJ60s over this side of the world but cant speak for others

cheers
Gerard

SOR is getting them from overseas. That's why they are 2 grand. We never got them in the states and not all 60 series got them overseas so they are not that common even outside the US

First, does any know where one can get one to replace the standard roof? SOR wants over 2K for a new standard one (dumb choice).

Second, I presume the original hitops were steel, but maybe fiberglass?

Third, does anyone make either standard or "bubble" fiberglass roof replacements?

Fourth, is there a more common or technically correct term for these?

Finally, anyone got a parts vehicle with an intact hitop on the East coast?

Bonus question: What models (be specific) were these high roof versions available?

Post in the Diesel/JDM classified section, "wanted roof off an HJ61"..

OK, that will get you a hit for it. Many are brought into Canada and parted out. So you can get one used for sure. I have seen a couple advertised.

I wander were the fender flares come from, factory? They look good on the green one.
Jonathan

Whats the advantage to the high roof, besides taller passengers? :D

coolness factor. kind of like all the non us items, like fender mirrors, flares, rear ladders, amby doors, sliding cargo windows....damn...now i'm just depressing myself.

The green one doesn't look stock. There isn't a normal gutter on it. The white one above has the gutter complete with the chrome trim.

We have a unit in the shop that is very nice, take the whole body mint frame and axles with full floater for 3K, even has the cool factory fender flares.

If interested call us at the shop./

250-954-3990

Guys not all hj61's came with high tops,there is quite a few in oz without them,fj's hj's had them too,most were saharas but not all,im not sure but i think most had factory sunroofs,maybe someone can tell us if they came without sunroof.
You know with all the rust problems you guys have with them over there with the salt on the roads etc i dont understand why some of you that allready have a 60 series dont think about importing any from oz,if you hunt around a bit you can find rust free ones over here for pretty good prices,if you allready have one in the usa then it is not such a big job tranfering your left hand drive and the other gear over too maybe a rust free hj61 or fj high top,you get my drift,with the exchange rate this might not cost you as much as you think.
I know where to look for them,if anybody wants one give me a yell,I can start looking,diesel from oz is a better option then japan also,because ours are 12volt.

cheers goldchaser

My HJ60 is from NSW (Sydney area to us Yanks) and the top is rusted to s***.

Over here, I know these rigs rust in one of two ways:
From the bottom up from road salt, or from the top down, in coastal areas where there's lots of salt in the air (or from sea spray).

Also, in humid areas, I understand leaving the A/C on recirc will cause condensation between the roof panels and rust them out from the inside out. Mine has this issue too.

SOR DOES NOT sell the high roof, the $2000 is for a NEW standard roof.

SOR DOES NOT sell the high roof, the $2000 is for a NEW standard roof.

I didn't catch that the first time I read your original post! That's insane. Buy one off a parts rig for a couple hundred if you want original. Otherwise, Radd Cruisers idea doesn't sound too bad besides the customs and brokerage fees.

Yeah hj60sheila there is plenty over here with rusted out roofs,but a bit it doesnt take too long to find the odd rust free one,for some reason the high roof ones seem to fair better in the rust department,did you have someone check yours out for you before it was shipped?
cheers goldchaser

I didn't have it imported, I bought it from an unscrupulous seller who imported it. He showed up with the truck at my father-in-law's mechanic (5 hours away from me) at 4:30 in the evening (deliberately I believe) who had only enough time to do a mechanical inspection. I drove down the following day and saw the vehicle at night under dim lights in the scumbag's garage and then under the street light (equally dim) in the parking area.

As one might imagine, he was not willing to rebate me any $ or work with me further. Ebay scammer.

Bad case of diesel lust, a Capital One "Blank Check" burning a hole in my pocket, and the rarity of these vehicles over here, plus a good dose of poor judgement resulted in me overpaying ($8500) for a rig that turned out to be a project vehicle.

I still love the truck though...

That sucks. But 8500 for an imported truck isn't too bad. Lets hope for not too much money you can swap out the roof.

I would go get Radds chassis if you can. Comes with a FF axle.. too cool!

yeah i'll pay that one loomis.LOL

goldchaser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom