Hi there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was wondering about that one, thanks for the info. I have been ignoring it so far since, although the black interior must be more practical, I prefer the lighter interiors (non-gray).

Is there a reason why some just fly off the 'shelves' and others hang around? It seems that demand is high in general.

Still need to decide what is reasonable, depends on what I get from selling my Prius. Also I was laid off due to Covid, started my own software consulting/development business which is only now slowly starting to get off the ground. So maybe take it slow before I jump into something.

I would guess that the life in MA and lack of options are two non-desirable attributes for that rig.

Plus, until Techstream is hooked up to scan the computers and read data such as AHC info, along with getting it on a lift, everything is a gamble.

Hi everyone on this great forum,

I have not and do not own a LC/LX, but I am currently in the market for one.

I am at that point in life where you realize the value of experiences. My goal is to regularly take short excursions away from the crowds (me, wife and fido) and then gradually longer and further. Not really excited by rock climbing or hard difficulty and seeking it out, but the idea of eventual overlanding is appealing. I am not mechanically inclined (but I have the best intentions to grow into it). Don't expect to do aftermarket improvements unless it bites me.

Looking for something quality and long lasting and here I am.

As for my current searches for my steed... It is not easy going. I missed out on a single owner 2005 LX470 132k for $15k a few days ago for being a noob.

Due to my current lack in mechanical skills I'm looking for something that won't become a money pit and also not too much wear inside (especially the driver seat should not resemble a fight with fido).

I find that 100 series LC's are scarce within 500 miles of where I live. The few in the $5k to $15k range usually are 230k+ mileage often with a northern past.
If you find one barely below 200k and reportedly in good shape, they push $20k (even pre-2005). A price that is not far below LX570 territory. The LC's also often have spotty service records. One did 20k a year for 7 years and then 20k total for the next 7, with only 10 service records.

The most candidates are to be found in Atlanta. I have discovered something interesting about Atlanta. If you source an LX there, they are priced slightly less than in smaller cities/towns. BUT, find a LC and you pay an Atlanta tax, the car they source from somewhere cheaper easily has a 15% premium over what you would pay somewhere else.

With LC being discontinued I'm concerned that they will just get more expensive. I'm not adverse to the LX, but I am not a fan of the front of the last few years which I doubt will improve into the future.

Part of me says buy a beater, have it fixed and maybe still come out ahead. Part of me says, pay the premium and just accept it. Then, something is hinting I should just bite the bullet and go LX570, but that might mean a bigger car loan than what I'm prepared to live with.

I have read on the forum that patience pays, just don't know if the market is now crazy and if what is available tomorrow will be any better than today.

Any advice, lessons will be greatly appreciated.

I was in the same boat for the past year. I was deadset on an LC and have been for many, many years. I was convinced (by feedback from this site) that the LX as a good (if not better ;)) option. I had a nation wide search going on every app/website with alerts and it took a year to find "the one". The advice I got from here seems to be true. LC's are generally used for what they were built for. However, LX's tend to be pavement warriors and tend to be very well maintained. Yes, there is the um, front end issue, which I struggled with but figured I could live with it to save some money and get something with complete service records and peace of mind.

Everyones goals are different but I would suggest driving both 100 and 200 series and start down the path that bests suits you. I wanted a lot of what you're searching for. I owned a GX470 and it was great but I wanted something a little bigger. Still wanted the reliability, capability as well as a platform to build on. I ended up finding mine in Orlando, bought a ticket and drove back. I would first determine which is best for you, 100 or 200, set up the search and be patient. The right rig will eventually show up.

If you do find something in Atlanta let me know. I'm happy to be feet on the streets and look at a vehicle for you since you're not right around the corner. Good luck with the search!

OP... if you don’t want to work on it yourself then a 15 year old truck isn’t for you. I love my 18 year old LX. Wouldn’t trade it for anything. But I can’t imagine the expense of taking it in every time it needed something. Find a good 200 series. Pay the piper. Keep it till you don’t want to deal with it anymore then sell it to me. Good luck my Guy

It truly depends on your financial situation, interests, and objectives with the car. I will weigh in with one note here being that I have an older 100 and it's been great (but a constant project on something):

Auto loans are super cheap money right now and most index funds will outperform any auto loan cash you take. Make your own call there, but $10-20 cash on a vehicle too old to get a used auto loan on which needs work isn't appealing when for $30-35 you are in something newer and your cash is at work.

For what you want to do you do not need a land cruiser or 570 unless it's for the extra space.

A GX or 4Runner would be a great option for you. Toyota/Lexus build plenty of good 4x4s that will treat you well for a very long time if cared for.

Ha ha, good one :)

My intention is to learn how to work on it and do as much on it myself as i can. I have a 1995 Miata NA I want to start practicing on. I assume the cost of tools to do things yourself is also not negligible. Then of course I assume a 100 is more old school than the 200 and you can do more yourself?

Problem is like they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

That being said, my grandpa taught himself and I have a lot of him in me, just not sure if its enough.

Edit: Realistically I won't have high expectations until I prove otherwise.

Last edited:
Auto loans are super cheap money right now and most index funds will outperform any auto loan cash you take. Make your own call there, but $10-20 cash on a vehicle too old to get a used auto loan on which needs work isn't appealing when for $30-35 you are in something newer and your cash is at work.

Very good advice.

If you do find something in Atlanta let me know. I'm happy to be feet on the streets and look at a vehicle for you since you're not right around the corner. Good luck with the search!

Thanks for the offer. There was a good looking 200 LC there a few days ago that sold out immediately. I might take you up on that at some point. I do go to Atlanta from time to time, funny enough to swing by a Toyota shop since the local Toyota's not honest...

What I would like to do at some point is to get together with someone who can show me what to look for when buying a used LX/LC, e.g. where to look for wear/rust etc and what is ok and what not.

A GX or 4Runner would be a great option for you.

There's some used last gen 460's around for 15+. My concern there is space, since apparently the seats don't go flat and I don't know if you can remove both the 2nd and 3rd row.

If I do go that route I'd probably need to invest in either a rooftop tent or a trailer since I want to have the option to sleep in it with my wife. Luckily at 5'8" I'm short.

Thanks for the offer. There was a good looking 200 LC there a few days ago that sold out immediately. I might take you up on that at some point. I do go to Atlanta from time to time, funny enough to swing by a Toyota shop since the local Toyota's not honest...

What I would like to do at some point is to get together with someone who can show me what to look for when buying a used LX/LC, e.g. where to look for wear/rust etc and what is ok and what not.
There is a link to Slee in one of the stickies up to with very sage buying advice for the Hundys

Also good advice, I will broaden my search...

This will not be a daily driver so just used for weekend and longer trips. So while it won't stack up a lot of miles unless for a long trip, does it make sense to have an expensive car sit in the driveway most of the time?
If You end up like the rest of us here, you'll be making excuses to drive the beast. It won't sit much and as was stated earlier, these machines are appreciating very nicely so move out smartly if you are in the market... Good Luck on your hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom