Hi there. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to this forum. I acquired a 97 Taco as my post-divorce single dad vehicle. It’s got 281k on it. I picked It up from a local dealership for 3600. Lots of stuff wasn’t working but it ran. Since then, I had a three initial goals for rehabilitation: 1) replace the valve gasket covers, 2) replace front rotors and pads + inspect rear brakes, and 3) replace + upgrade suspension. One and two are done. Suspension pieces and parts will be arriving over next week or so. Needless to say, I’m pumped! Photo is from when I got ‘er, February (?).
Anyhow, glad to be here and to share pics, tips, and stories. Cheers!

1997 Tacoma DLX 4WD AT 3.4L V6

DEFEE863-8127-40FC-87A7-1E9EB61EACB6.jpeg

Nice. It looks like it is decent shape for the age and miles, too. Enjoy it. What lift? Plans for wheels/tires?

I’ve lined up an OME kit from Rocky Ridge with Nitros all around, 881 coils and the Dakar leaf pack. Plus JBA std UCAs. My 10 yr old son reminded me the red with yellow may look ketchup n mustard/ Ronald McDonald but we’ll have to see...lol
No plans yet on wheels/ tires. That would require another stimulus check ;)

Looks like a mild lift as it is. Any idea what's on it already?

881s should net you 2" or so. It'll look like you have spare tires on it once lifted. I'm a big fan of the stamped steel wheels on the 1st gen Tacomas and with yours being a 97 you can run 15" wheels. Which makes things cheaper. I got a set of 5 stamped ProComp wagon wheels from Summit, or maybe Jegs, for about $70 each. Then sourced some 5x 33/1050-15 General Grabbers from Discount Tire online for less than $800 (at that time). Mounted and balanced locally, all in around $1200 maybe. So, I guess it'd be another stimulus check after all.

Looks like a mild lift as it is. Any idea what's on it already?

881s should net you 2" or so. It'll look like you have spare tires on it once lifted. I'm a big fan of the stamped steel wheels on the 1st gen Tacomas and with yours being a 97 you can run 15" wheels. Which makes things cheaper. I got a set of 5 stamped ProComp wagon wheels from Summit, or maybe Jegs, for about $70 each. Then sourced some 5x 33/1050-15 General Grabbers from Discount Tire online for less than $800 (at that time). Mounted and balanced locally, all in around $1200 maybe. So, I guess it'd be another stimulus check after all.

It has Monroe Quick Struts on the front; Toyota shocks n leafs (originals??) in the rear.
Thanks for the tip on the tires/ wheels 👍

Right on. Yeah, took care of those off the bat.
I guess it was a western VA truck for most of its life before it became an AZ truck, still the frame looks pretty good. Body’s in good shape as well, with respect to rust...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom