Hi Steer impacting steering box. Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

Got a OME SUA sprung 60, and have an issue with my rear (linking) steering rod impacting my steering box on suspension up-travel.
(Search yielded nothing, so please forgive me if this is a double post.)

Apparently, the rear linking rod is perfectly in-line with the bottom of the steering box, which completely limits my up-travel.
This issue happens in even minor road driving conditions. Speedbumps at anything faster than 10mph causes impact.

Here's some photos to illustrate my issue:
IMG_1138.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

I'm at a loss as to how to fix this problem.

I originally thought I'd just flip the steering rod upside down in the hi-steer arms, but then it would impact the axle housing on full lock.
Then, I considered longer steering arms, but I don't know if I have the space to extend them forward without impact to the tire.
Finally, I wondered if this means I need to relocate my steering box forward and manufacture an intermediate shaft for the steering from the column to the box....

Regardless, I'd hoped someone had seen this issue before, and could direct me as to an effective course of action.

Thanks

You have 2 choices. Best in my opinion is to go back to stock steering arms. It's totally inappropriate to run high steer with stock spring under suspension. There are mid rise custom arms I've seen that would work, but they are one offs

Or, you could do a spring over and use the high steer for what it was built for.

You should have no trouble finding someone to trade for some stock steering arms. Does your passenger side arm have two holes (crossover steering), one for each TRE from the drag link and tie rod? Or is it a Y-link? You might have to make some changes to your tie road and drag link to go back to the stock arms.

Last edited:
Thanks boys.

This is exactly the info I needed.

I'll swap back to OEM equipment for now. Been chasing this damn rattle for a while, and was convinced it wasn't the crossover steering... but so it is. Will pull the Hi-Steer for later, though. SOA sounds great... though I JUST rebuilt my axles so I'm not really trying to do it again just to re-weld perches and so-on.

Looks like I'm looking for the following:
- OEM pitman
- OEM Arms (L/R)
- OEM Relay and Tie rod TUBES
- OEM Clamps
- OEM TRE's

Look right?
Steering redux.png

I have an entire stock steering setup in the classifieds section. The tie rod ends are shot and would have to be rebuilt. pm me, I have all of that circled in red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom