Hi-pinion front 3rd member locker choices? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i sold my other rig....a 75 fj40 and have decided to go full bore on my 85 4runner.....i have a hi-pinion front 3rd member with 5.29 gears......will any 8" locker go right in?.....or is there a specific locker for the reverse cut hi-pinion?

Thanx in advance guys :beer:

It will go in with the appropriate axle housing modifications (larger notch, two extra studs, etc.). Lots of write ups. First step would be to order the FZJ80 front gasket for the elocker. Second step would be to tear down the front axle so that you can lay the gasket over to see what's required. It's a bit of grinding and drilling and tapping some studs at that point.

I have a pretty good write-up at the link in my sig line and in the link below but I sort of gloss over the mechanical mods. Of course I didn't install a hi-pinion front elocker but the modifications are the same (except reversed IIRC).

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...ng-trd-elockers-fzj80-elocker-ecu-switch.html

I don't think he's asking about installing an e-locker. He has the hi-pinion diff now that is re-geared, but it's open.

The FZJ80 open (non e-locker) front diff is essentially a 2-pinion diff, I believe the carrier is the same as the old mini-truck 4 cyl open diffs. I believe there is an ARB available for this diff, and I bet you can install a LockRite.

You can't covert an open diff to an e-locker, BTW.

I don't think he's asking about installing an e-locker. He has the hi-pinion diff now that is re-geared, but it's open.

The FZJ80 open (non e-locker) front diff is essentially a 2-pinion diff, I believe the carrier is the same as the old mini-truck 4 cyl open diffs. I believe there is an ARB available for this diff, and I bet you can install a LockRite.

You can't covert an open diff to an e-locker, BTW.

You're right. I misread his original post.

Too bad; that's not nearly as exciting as a Hi-pinion elocker. LOL

Kool......the hi pinion e-locker would be awesome but any locker would be nice....

Is this correct about the V6 locker being needed?

glad i checked back twice i was about to order a 4cyl lockright

Thanx again!

I believe the 6cyl locker is correct, but it's been awhile since I locked mine. As far as the Lockright, if you can swing the coin I would really suggest the Detroit if you want a full time locker up front. I have a NoSlip, which is the same "lunchbox locker" design in my FJ40 and it sucks.

If you have the high pinion from an 80 series, then any locker that fits the 80 will work. The HP is a bolt-in replacement for the standard low pinion diff.

I believe the 6cyl locker is correct, but it's been awhile since I locked mine. As far as the Lockright, if you can swing the coin I would really suggest the Detroit if you want a full time locker up front. I have a NoSlip, which is the same "lunchbox locker" design in my FJ40 and it sucks.

What kind of problems do you have with it that make you say it sucks? Is NoSlip the brand name? I'm curious, 'cause I'm thinking about installing an Aussie.

I ran an Aussie in the front for over a year with no issues. Swapped it for an ARB because I wanted a selectable in front. Have had an Aussie in the rear for over 5 years with no issues.

What kind of problems do you have with it that make you say it sucks? Is NoSlip the brand name? I'm curious, 'cause I'm thinking about installing an Aussie.

Noisy. Ratchets. Pops. Temperamental on the highway. Give it gas and the truck shifts to the right. Let off the gas and the truck shifts to the left. Pretty scary at highway speeds, and try to explain the quirks to a buddy when you let them drive. I will never, ever, install a lunch box locker ever again.

Lock-Right and No-Slip are made by the same company ... Powertrax.

Noisy. Ratchets. Pops. Temperamental on the highway. Give it gas and the truck shifts to the right. Let off the gas and the truck shifts to the left. Pretty scary at highway speeds, and try to explain the quirks to a buddy when you let them drive. I will never, ever, install a lunch box locker ever again.

Yup. BTDT. I especially liked (NOT) the odd looks you get when you take a sharp turn in a parking lot, all kinds of clacking and noise come from the axle as it ratchets.

Or as you slowly pull away from a stop light, you occasionally get a nice comforting BANG and the truck hops.

Definitely not something I'd want to run in snowy/icy conditions.

Or as you slowly pull away from a stop light, you occasionally get a nice comforting BANG and the truck hops.

Yep that too. I especially like how it click-click-clicks as I back out of the driveway.

Lock-Right and No-Slip are made by the same company ... Powertrax.

I heard about the noises, same with the Aussie? The folks that praise the Aussie on the 80 forum hold a different opinion. The consensus was, it was worth the noise & quirks for the additional traction when you needed it.
............Definitely not something I'd want to run in snowy/icy conditions.

Exactly why there's not one in my 80's rear, but I think I'll put one in my Mini for the off road performance and just deal with it.

Last edited:
I can't say for the mini, but I ran both a no-slip and an aussie in a heavy 55. The aussie even though it looked identical to the no slip acted more refined...for a lunch box locker. Their customer service was outstanding as well with Aussie.

I run my hilux across the country and cover much more pavement than I would like to. Those of you who run autos in these things are f$%^&*ing hardcore. If it was a trail truck that'd be one thing, but for on road, jeeze....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom