Hi! Newbie here: Brand new owner of a rebuilt J100 with 81K on the odometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! I'm new around here and I'm seriously excited to join the 100 club!

But first, a little story... I'm the disenfranchised former owner of a 2016 Ram 1500. I loved that truck, but it was pretty much a problem from day one: A dozen recalls, check engine lights, multiple malfunctioning EGRs that were replaced; the list goes on. I finally threw up my hands and decided to get rid of it when it suddenly lost power at 60 MPH in heavy traffic; I couldn't push it past 35 due to a computer issue. It scared the life out of me and I feel lucky I wasn't hit from behind due to the sudden loss of momentum.

So I end up getting rid of my four-year-old truck and bought a 20-year-old LC J100 :)

I looked high and low within about 500 miles of my location on the Oregon coast. Lots of rigs with 200K+ on the odo, but I happened to find exactly what I wanted... With a salvage title. Normally I wouldn't touch a salvaged car, but I found before-and-after photos of the damage and it... didn't look too bad! The former owner drove it about 4K miles a year and the vehicle still had some maintenance records available; a northern California truck, too. By all appearances, it looked to be in excellent shape inside and out, and appeared to be mechanically sound.

I took it around to two different mechanics and both expressed the same sentiment, that it was incredible shape for its age, and perfectly clean: No leaks, no frame damage, and absolutely no rust! I couldn't believe it!

Too good to be true?

I was about ten feet into a test drive when I made up my mind: Nope, it's flawless. Engine, transmission; everything behaving like it only had 100 miles on the odometer.

I pulled the trigger and bought it. I couldn't be happier :) I'm replacing a wheel bearing this week, but it's otherwise in tip-top shape. I'm very much looking forward to searching the forums, learning more about this beautiful machine, and making it my own.

Take care!

Here it is, all cleaned up and ready for... a lift and some bigger shoes!
PXL_20201017_200116363~2.jpg

Here it is pre-rebuild. It got a new hood, panel, battery, and a few other mechanical essentials:
toyota-landcruisr-2000-vin-jt3ht05j3y0092152.jpg

It's so clean!
2000_Land_Cruiser_07.jpg

I'm the disenfranchised former owner of a 2016 Ram 1500. I loved that truck, but it was pretty much a problem from day one: A dozen recalls, check engine lights, multiple malfunctioning EGRs that were replaced; the list goes on. I finally threw up my hands and decided to get rid of it when it suddenly lost power at 60 MPH in heavy traffic; I couldn't push it past 35 due to a computer issue. It scared the life out of me and I feel lucky I wasn't hit from behind due to the sudden loss of momentum.
^^^ Unsurprising. I feel for anyone who mistakenly buys a Dodge pickup. I've had a few over the years as work trucks that da gubment gave me and every damn one of them broke down multiple times. Particularly the 1500s were bad - the 2500s were marginally better.

Nevertheless, welcome. Your 100 looks great! Mine incurred similar damage a couple of months ago but kept a clean title and is currently at a body shop being fixed...at least that's what the body guy says he's being doing...for two months 😠

That's awesome!

Welcome to the 100 club. And that is the perfect color combo, imo.

I've had 5 rams in the last 13 years all bought/leased brand new. 08, 08, 16, 16, and 18. All with the hemi. The 3rd gen I still have and drives better than new. The 4th gens were leased or sold 2 years later with only $2-$3k less than the price I paid new. The 08 I have, would no hesitate to drive down to Panama with it tomorrow as it sits.

No problems with them. Solid trucks, nice to drive, quality is pretty nice. Experience far exceeded expectations, especially at the discounted price they went for.

Can't speak for the VM 3.0L diesel though.

Congrats on joining the 100 owners club. I'd first check if that windshield is put on properly with riviets and no water leaks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom