HI mileage Newbies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just seafoamed my 192K "new" 100 on Saturday. The stuff is great, use it on all my vehicles, and makes a noticible difference in engine smoothness, if that makes sense. Does make the rig faster, but throttle response is definitely better.

I find it hard to believe that an engine w/ 100k mi would need injector or induction service, unless the PO used the cheapest quality of gas. I haven't even cleaned the injectors on my '86 yet w/ 200K mi, always run Chevron 89, still get 23.5 mpg (better w/ 91) w/ lift, ARB/Kaymar, sliders, bigger tires. The guys on the toyota mini forum were using BGK44 or something like that to clean the fuel system. I've tried the Redline fuel additive, no noticeable difference. Changed the fuel filter at 140K mi as PM, no noticeable difference. Still got great mileage in either case. My conclusion was, the fuel economy you're getting is indicative of the condition your engine/drivetrain is in (assuming your tires are inflated properly, you don't drive like 80mph, air filter is clean, using name brand [shell, chevron] 91 octane gas)

I have seen a couple of fuel injector reports from RC Engineering on 40-70k mile NSX motors that stated bad spray patterns, leaky injectors and low flow rates.

I've been wanted to service my injectors but have been lazy to pull them out.

I have seen a couple of fuel injector reports from RC Engineering on 40-70k mile NSX motors that stated bad spray patterns, leaky injectors and low flow rates.

I've been wanted to service my injectors but have been lazy to pull them out.

Isn't RC engineering the CA company that cleans injectors? Of course they're gonna make you think you need your injectors cleaned!

The sound from your exhuast is normal, my 99 did it and my 2004 does it. It's made of Stainless steel and pings/tinks all the time. I would suggest for your engine fuel injection to start using Toyota/Lexus recommended fuel. Go to the Top Tier gas website. Some brands on that site Conoco, Quiktrip. They all have fuel additives that will keep your injection system clean.

What ticking sound is that? In mine, there is a sound you can hear after you park the vehicle. It sounds like many many drops of oil dripping into an oil pan continuously for a few minutes.

Is that the sound you guys are talking about? My ES300 does it too.

What ticking sound is that? In mine, there is a sound you can hear after you park the vehicle. It sounds like many many drops of oil dripping into an oil pan continuously for a few minutes.

Is that the sound you guys are talking about? My ES300 does it too.

That's it, my 2004 pops and cracks and tings more then my 99 did but any vehicle with a high quality stainless steel exhaust system will make this noise.

That's it, my 2004 pops and cracks and tings more then my 99 did but any vehicle with a high quality stainless steel exhaust system will make this noise.

So it is the sound from the exhaust system, then....

For the longest time, I really thought that it was coming from the engine - from oil dripping into the oil pan once the engine stops running....

It's the exhaust cooling down. Actually, I think it's the SS cats. They get hot. Every car I've owned (3 toyotas, 1 honda) has done this. On the old 4runner, only the new cat is stainless. On the prelude and 100, much of the exhaust is stainless.

Both vehicles we own, have been maintained to Lexus/Toyota spec. We only use 93 Octane. We do however have a 10% ethenol base in all of our gas, in the state of missouri and this does make an impact. On trips where we filled up in states that did not require this, the vehicle ran quieter and got better gas mileage. Toyota/Lexus recomends induction service around 90K to clean out the carbon. The pinging in my ES300 was carbon build up and as soon as I did the sea-foam it went away. I am going to have Lexus check out the LC, I have been doing most of the maintinance on it my self. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have a few friends up there in service and parts so the are not going to charge me. But the pinging and tinkering noises did not go away after I did the sea-foam on the LC. The amount of white smoke that came out was significanlty less than the ES 300, which has been maintained by the dealership from day one.

doesn't ethanol burn cleaner and lead to less carbon build up?

for sure the MPG will be less, though

Kathmandu,
this "ticking" is most likely the charcoal canister. As the vehicle ages it becomes louder. I made them take it off and show me mine. The part was close to 500.00 installed. The mechanic said they often replace them for people who can't stand the slight ticking. Which in a drive through makes me nuts, sounds like the car isn't working but it is "just the process of the unit". It is especially noticiable in the heat. but the car works and passes inspection without fail. Since, I brought it to three different mechanics there, I am ok with it. But I still hate the noise. My dad has an LS430 with 30K more in miles on it and his doesn't make a peep.

Kathmandu,
this "ticking" is most likely the charcoal canister. As the vehicle ages it becomes louder. I made them take it off and show me mine. The part was close to 500.00 installed. The mechanic said they often replace them for people who can't stand the slight ticking. Which in a drive through makes me nuts, sounds like the car isn't working but it is "just the process of the unit". It is especially noticiable in the heat. but the car works and passes inspection without fail. Since, I brought it to three different mechanics there, I am ok with it. But I still hate the noise. My dad has an LS430 with 30K more in miles on it and his doesn't make a peep.

Spending 500 bucks versus a semi-annoying ticking.....

I will take the latter. I am cheap.... I mean, frugal...

I took the frugal route myself.
SWUtah,what is worse for deposits?
Pretty much every gas station in west st.louis county has the white 10% Ethonol sticker on it. I have not seen a gas station with out it.

I took the frugal route myself.
SWUtah,what is worse for deposits?
Pretty much every gas station in west st.louis county has the white 10% Ethonol sticker on it. I have not seen a gas station with out it.

I live on the KC side and I never see the ethonol stickers. If I were you stick with Conoco or Quicktrip, both are recommended by Toyota/Lexus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom