Hi Low temperature experiment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to see the difference in temperature between hi and low gear driving on the beach. Ambient temperature 77f, Tranny temp about 150f and engine temp 190f when I drove on. About two miles out; in high w/center diff locked and 40lbs of air in the tires. Soft sand. Held 185f trany and 194f engine for awhile until I hit a patch of really soft stuff.... thought I was going to get stuck but powered through. Temps spiked quickly to 215f transmission and 199f engine! Not good 😬.
Pulled over and enjoyed the environment for 2 hours. Deflated tires to 16lbs, shifted into 4low, pressed 2nd button and turned off overdrive. Drove about 3miles total, with center diff locked and unlocked, to make sure I was back up to temp. Held 155f tranny and 188f engine. Transmission did go up to 165f when I pulled off to let a couple of vehicles pass by, but quickly dropped back once moving.
I do think the tire pressure played a big role in the dramatically different results. But my LC470 just performed better regardless (even with equal tire pressure) in 4low 2-3gear than in 4Hi & D in soft loose sand. I think a tranny flush is in my immediate future....

One time I figured I'd drive on the sand and not air down. Lots of tire spin, full tire pressure about 34lbs. and it took less than 5 min and I got a trans temp warning. Aired down to about 16, no problem at all. I've also tried 4L and 4H to see what difference it made. Nothing really dramatic, tire pressure was a much bigger factor no matter what condition the sand is in - wet, dry, uphill, smooth, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom