Hi Lift size - 2.5 lift and 33" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did some research and couldn't find my answer but I did read plenty of interesting posts.

What size jack (hi lift) do I need for 33" tires and future 2.5" lift? Is 48 enough? Seems like it would. Just need a second opinion.

Would a jack extension work with the bottle jack as an alternative?

Thanks.

As long as possible. High lift jacks can be used for much more than just lifting your vehicle. They can be used as clamps or as a hand winch/come along. When using a high lift as a come along you really want the tallest possible jack for less resets of your rigging.

If all you need a jack for is changing tires than I would avoid the high lift jack all together and stick with the factory bottle jack and some accessories for the factory bottle jack.

Someone on here sells some accessories for the bottle jack. I think they offer a base plate and adaptor to fit the axle. Hopefully someone else can remember who sells them.

Land Cruiser Phil has an attachment that makes the bottle jack/axle interaction safer. I have one.

I saw Phil's adapter, along with the base for some other accessories too. I have them on my wish list if I was to go that route. I saw someone suggesting putting the bottle jack on their recovery tracks too (I have a set of x-bull tracks).

My main concern is height and use when off roading in uneven terrain when changing a tire or getting off when high centered. Gorman trails, san bernadino/angeles forest here in LA- mountain rocky trails.

Is the OEM jack enough when off roading?

That is who I was thinking of , land cruiser Phil's accessories and the factory jack are all you need.

As long as possible. High lift jacks can be used for much more than just lifting your vehicle. They can be used as clamps or as a hand winch/come along. When using a high lift as a come along you really want the tallest possible jack for less resets of your rigging.

If all you need a jack for is changing tires than I would avoid the high lift jack all together and stick with the factory bottle jack and some accessories for the factory bottle jack.

Someone on here sells some accessories for the bottle jack. I think they offer a base plate and adaptor to fit the axle. Hopefully someone else can remember who sells them.
I’ve had hi-lifts since high school. They SUCK. Way too heavy and too big to store anywhere reasonable. If you actually need to use one, it will probably slip and **** up your truck. They look like a cool accessory (I guess?) but don’t do it. Get a bottle Jack and LCP adapter.

I’ve had hi-lifts since high school. They SUCK. Way too heavy and too big to store anywhere reasonable. If you actually need to use one, it will probably slip and f*** up your truck. They look like a cool accessory (I guess?) but don’t do it. Get a bottle Jack and LCP adapter.
I would agree with you about 95% of the time. But the other 5% they can be a real life saver.

I see hi lifts on CL going for around ~$60 which is about the same price for the accessories if using the oem jack.

I also saw the post on the $15 DIY solution to the jack lift that goes on the 3rd seat bracket. Which would solve the storage issue.

Thanks for the feedback, so the 48" hi lift works and so does the oem jack + accesories for off roading. đź‘Ť

@bencallaway would it depend on the jack point? I probably wouldn't trust the oem side steps or front stock bumper. Maybe the rear stock bumper is ok, seems sturdy enough.

I was thinking an aftermarket bumper (used trail gear) and sliders as jack points is ok.

The hi-lift i-beam can be bolted under the second row seats. The rest of the jack can be stored in a soft side bag in the cargo area. I always have my hi-lift with me but have yet to see one deployed and used in the field. We did a training with them at Uwharrie (NC) offroad park. They are dangerous in a skull cracking kinda way. As far as getting stuck, stack rocks. As far as changing a tire, ride on the rim to a safe spot if possible. Then use the bottle jack and the LCP adapter.

I have had my Hi lift jack for over forty years
It has saved my bacon more time then I can count. It does work better with after market Bumpers, its in my Reg at all times. It a lot safer if you use a ratchet strap around the axle to the frame to keep the suspension from drooping out. The tire will start lifting as soon as the body does. It’s just like any tool it only as safe as the user.
I still carry the factory jack with Phil’s adapter the factory jack is pretty scary without it. 48” is all you need if you carry the Ratchet strap.

Last edited:
I run a 48" hi-lift with 4" lift and 37" tires. I ran the same one on my previous rig with 9" of lift and 44" tires - Never a problem, however I also wouldn't change a tire with it. It's typically used for jacking the truck off a boulder, jacking a tree off the trail, etc. I keep a bottle jack in the truck for changing tires (or prying body work back in to place).

The only time I've ever really used the hi-lift to remove tires is when I've needed to pull a wheel to work on a broken axle, etc. and I've been in soupy terrain. To compensate for the height and bad footing, I jack off my spare tire, which adds about a foot to the height of the jack.

I run a 48" hi-lift with 4" lift and 37" tires. I ran the same one on my previous rig with 9" of lift and 44" tires - Never a problem, however I also wouldn't change a tire with it. It's typically used for jacking the truck off a boulder, jacking a tree off the trail, etc. I keep a bottle jack in the truck for changing tires (or prying body work back in to place).

The only time I've ever really used the hi-lift to remove tires is when I've needed to pull a wheel to work on a broken axle, etc. and I've been in soupy terrain. To compensate for the height and bad footing, I jack off my spare tire, which adds about a foot to the height of the jack.
Lots of jacking off in your post :flipoff2:

Lots of jacking off in your post :flipoff2:
It's usually my wife doing the jacking off. Someone still needs to drive the truck while being jacked off. :cool:

... That would sound much worse if I had a buddy in the passenger seat and not my wife.

This is really good to know, I had no idea the stock bottle jack can still provide proper clearance on trucks lifted with larger tires for changing tires!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom