hi lift or something like it

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by hightide, Nov 12, 2005.

1. hightide

hightide

Sams Club has a 48 inch "farm jack" for 25 bucks. it looks like a hi lift, then again I have never seen one up close.

2. Dale Sr

Dale Sr

You get what you pay for. Why not pay a tad more and get the real thing? Would hate to have my truck up on a jack then see it fail due to some chineese doing another pisspoor assembly job with inferior materials.

3. rusmannx

rusmannx

i've found highjacks at pawn shops for $25. in better shape then mine is in too.

4. Mark W

Mark W

I've had several differently branded "high lift" jacks over the years. If it was ever a patented design the patent as long since expired. Just because it does not say High Lift on it doesn't mean that it a cheap imported knockoff. I'm pretty sure that High Lift is not the original. The highest quality jack of thios type that i have owned was not a High Lift unit. Seems like the "Hired Hand" was the most well made if memory serves.

These jacks are simple enough to inspect and form your own opinion as to how well made they are.

Mark...

5. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

HF does have some knockoff as well, also around $40 or so IIRC, something like "Farm Jack", made in China.

I bought the Hi-lift one.

This is definitely a tool where I gladly spent the extra $20 on the hope that the brand name one would be better made. I don't think I can tell from looking at it what the quality of the steel is like.

6. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Walked in to local 4WheelParts store and asked for any TLCA, etc. etc. discounts available. I did get my airbags and shocks there so I'm a returning customer. He sold me the 60" red (stronger) Hi-Lift for $57. They retail there for $72.

7. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

I got the red one too (ain't much red on it no mo', what crappy paint) but even according to the Hilift site it's not any stronger than the black one... Odd. Perhaps they mean up to the shear pin strength...?

8. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

Tractor Supply - $42 every day for the cast iron 48".

9. reffug

reffug

Yaa then your truck might slam into a wall or something worse. :D

10. Biff

Biff

I've seen the same ones over at Harbor Freight, to cheap. I spent a few bucks more and got a good one on Ebay. IMO for this kind of gear you should never cheap out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.