Hi-Lift Mount options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lucky days. I won a 54" Hi-Lift jack from Valley Hybrids in Stockton. Thanks Georg!

My thought is to mount it on the stock front bumper by drilling a couple of holes and running two big bolts verticaly. I would lock the bolts in place with large washers, rubber groms, nuts, then wing nuts to secure the jack to the bolts. very simple and possibly stupid.

is the weight of a 54" jack to great for the stock bumper itself?

Are there any outside of the "box" options for mounting a hi-lift jack on a stock vehicle?

thanks!

PS i did a search and came up with options for all vehicles but the 80...

I just put my 60" highlift in the back sideways just in front of the tailgate. It just barely fits. But its inside, out of the rain and dust and cant get snagged on anything.

I'm considering the front but if you get in a wreck it may or may not totally trash the jack. I'm leaning heavily toward mounting on the roof rack somehow.

I just put my 60" highlift in the back sideways just in front of the tailgate. It just barely fits. But its inside, out of the rain and dust and cant get snagged on anything.

This is an excellent option, especially for an 80, which has the room. But I'd like to add that the Hi-Lift is so easy to dis-assemble & re-assemble - it takes about a minute for some one that's done it before. And with it taken apart, it is even easier to store inside, protected from the elements (for the most part) and sticky fingered bastards.:hillbilly:

thanks for the responses.
The back cargo area is a good option (thats where it sits now) but space is a premium when you have two big dogs and camping gear for 3.

I think the jack would be mounted inside for the most part but it would be nice to have a reasonable exterior mount for when the truck is fully loaded, or just for ease of access.

As much as I hate the idea of climbing undr the truck to get at the jack...what about the dead space betwene the frame and ds rockers? Too dirty? :hmm:

I wouldn't store it underneath because I use my hilift to get the truck unstuck, it would suck to have to dig the jack out first.

Please don't mount it on your stock roof rack though! I wouldn't suggest the front bumper either unless you tie it into the frame rail somehow.

I wont mount it on my roof rack. That was never even a realistic option for me. In fact that roof rack is soon to be deleted.

I am still thinking that the front bumper is the best mounting point. I think the frame horn extenders (little tabbed triangle pieces that fit under the bumper) will provide enough strength to hold the jack securely once they are fixed to the frame.

can anyone see an advantage or dissadvantage in mounting the lift in a horizontal position vs. a verticle one? For example the lift sitting on the top of the bumper or directly in front of it.

I wont mount it on my roof rack. That was never even a realistic option for me. In fact that roof rack is soon to be deleted.

I am still thinking that the front bumper is the best mounting point. I think the frame horn extenders (little tabbed triangle pieces that fit under the bumper) will provide enough strength to hold the jack securely once they are fixed to the frame.

can anyone see an advantage or dissadvantage in mounting the lift in a horizontal position vs. a verticle one? For example the lift sitting on the top of the bumper or directly in front of it.

In front, victim of small fender bender or trees... on top, small fender bender may push it into the front of your truck and/or headlights. If it's mounted to the frame it should be sturdy enough though. Personally I'd go with in front if you have to mount it to the stock front bumper. Reason being it's cheaper to replace a hi-lift than it is for a body shop to bang out/repaint and replace headlights!

Another idea is to mount it horizontally to the REAR cross member using the 4 "tow" holes. Get someone to fab you up a small square thing the hi-lift mounts to and then bolts into the 4 holes. Should be an easy project for a welder :)

regardless you like or don't like, this is how it's looks like if you put it on, it's 48 inch one, I probably get replace it for 60 inch in future.
It's works for me, easiest access especially while in woods. No problem driving around 4 month by now.
I will get winch bumper eventually in future.
IMG_1558-1.jpg

Please don't mount it on your stock roof rack though! I wouldn't suggest the front bumper either unless you tie it into the frame rail somehow.

i hate to bump the thread, but i was wondering, why not?

i've got a big hi-lift that is too big to fit inside and i was wondering if i could find some brackets to mount it to the stock roof rack... why wouldn't this be a good option?

i really don't have any need or desire for a safari rack, and i figured with well built brackets it would work fine on the roof rack... ultimately i would like to get a rear swingout, but that probably won't be for a year or two...

Any brackets you sourced would be the strong point. The factory rack was never particularly strong and that was before rust was working on it for 15 some odd years.

Any brackets you sourced would be the strong point. The factory rack was never particularly strong and that was before rust was working on it for 15 some odd years.
i'll definitely have to check mine out... it LOOKS fine, but i've heard of people saying once you remove it you can see a lot of the rust... is that the only reason? it can't be removed and painted? or is it simply that it's not attached well to the roof of the truck....

i'll definitely have to check mine out... it LOOKS fine, but i've heard of people saying once you remove it you can see a lot of the rust... is that the only reason? it can't be removed and painted? or is it simply that it's not attached well to the roof of the truck....

Do you really want to get into an accident and have the mounts be the strong point? I just don't know if I'd trust the roof rack to hold if you get into a collision. That thing would become a projectile in a hurry.

I would just mount it on the hood like an old Rover. If it is close to the window washer nozzles it will be below the line of sight from drivers eye to leading edge of hood. Out of sight and harms way

4x4 labs rear cost a lot but solves a lot of problems. LOVE mine. Hilift mount, carry a larger spare, better departure angle, rear armor and more. If you are going to run bigger tires just get a good rear bumper and solve a bunch of problems.

In some ways it really is more important than a front bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom