Hi-lift Lift locations & vintage wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I’m looking at moving up to 16” rims eventually and have been looking at various oem lookalikes (city racer, vintiques) and realized there are no openings in the rims. Not really a big deal, except the only way I am comfortable using the hi-lift jack is by hooking into the wheels with wheel hooks. The Hi-lift is what I use when working on the 40, as I don’t have space for a shop/floor jack.

So, where else do people use for lift locations for the hi-lift? I have tried the front/rear, but quickly stopped as it felt way too dangerous.

Can you use the hi-lift hooks on cityracer/vintiques rims? From the pictures it looks like there is a small lip potentially.

I’m also considering the 70series stock wheels (7x16” I think). Looks like there are holes on these. Does anyone run these and could they post pics?

I'd get a good bottle jack and some blocks.

Yep high lift jacks are dangerous. Its sort of a balancing act typically used like a bumper jack. So, how would you change a flat tire if you have to lift the vehicle by the rim with the flat tire? Dangernoodle suggestion is spot on, bottle jack or a stk 40 jack, and use jackstands when working on the vehicle.

I mean crap, I feel safer using a harbor freight bottle jack than using the Hi-Lift. Don't get me wrong the Hi-Lift has it's purpose. So does fentanyl.

Ya, I have a ways to go before I really need to worry about flat tires on the road. Not really making it outside my neighborhood at the moment.

I had looked at getting a bottle jack, but had put it to low priority. I’m thinking I’ll just get a relatively new one for now for garage use.

For the vintage jacks, are there sigificant differences between the years? I have an early 71 body and late 69 engine.

Man I use a $20 HF bottle jack for my 40, it's cheap, it's simple, and if it fails it should go slow enough to get away from.

I use it to lift the front of my diesel dually also, one wheel at a time.

Go to just about any pawn shop and get a bottle jack. You can find some pretty good deals there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom