Hi-Lift Jack Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just bought a hi-lift from 4wheel parts. i mounted it to the front of my ARB. it spent one day in the rain and there's rust all over it. i thought these things were made to be mounted to the outside of the vehicle. has anyone one else had a problem like this? solutions?

Keep it lubed and stash it under the rear bench seat. If you keep it mounted on the outside and it gets a lot of exposure to rain it may rust and be inoperable when you really need it.

I agree. If you take the foot and the top top piece off, then it fits in between the doors in the rear. Bungee it to the front seat brackets and call it a day.

another for storing inside. haven't tried under the bench yet: mine is bungied to bracket as above w/out removing anything. i keep it in the vinyl bag so that dog hair, mud, etc doesn't goop it up.

just bought a hi-lift from 4wheel parts. i mounted it to the front of my ARB. it spent one day in the rain and there's rust all over it. i thought these things were made to be mounted to the outside of the vehicle. has anyone one else had a problem like this? solutions?

I don't have a hi-lift jack yet. I thought they were painted? How can it rust?

I don't have a hi-lift jack yet. I thought they were painted? How can it rust?

The rust is red, ...the rust isn't lead, it grows by day ...and then by night...
................4 Dog Night :grinpimp:

Keep it lubed and stash it under the rear bench seat. If you keep it mounted on the outside and it gets a lot of exposure to rain it may rust and be inoperable when you really need it.

I disagree. I've had the same jack mounted on the front of my FJ40 for over 31 years. I just keep a can of WD40 to spray the moving parts when I need to use it, and it has never been a problem.

perhaps 2008 'made in china w/recycled metal' vs 1975 'made in the US' w/virgin metal?

or, from their website: "The All-Cast Jack (red) is made of all cast parts, while the Cast & Steel Jack (black) has cast parts, along with 4 stamped steel parts... The all-cast jack will last longer when frequently used..." Frequently Asked Questions

my 2c

I mount mine when i am off roading but keep it in the barn the rest of the time. They also make a jacket for it that will help keep it out of the elements

I keep mine on the back floorboard if I have it with me. I usually only take it if I'm going wheeling.

At home, it started rusting just sitting in the carport without even rained on. The paint starts to fall off the first time you use it.

You will want to mount it somewhere when your are traveling with it. Not what you want floating around inside your truck during a rollover or bad crash.

mine stays on the roofrack no problems with ot for about a year and a half now but it does have soem rust and i need to pull it down and lube it to slow the rust.

You will want to mount it somewhere when your are traveling with it. Not what you want floating around inside your truck during a rollover or bad crash.

I strap it to the brackets at the base of the rear seats. That would hurt if it hit you in the head!

I mount mine when i am off roading but keep it in the barn the rest of the time. They also make a jacket for it that will help keep it out of the elements

X2 ... if I'm not wheeling keep it at home or inside of my Cruiser lubed .. always lubed ( 5 years after it's perfect )

I used mine today to pull out two feet sections of rebar and where ever there was friction the paint pilled. Kind of disappointed (its the first time i've used it) I might just take it apart and have it powder coated.

perhaps 2008 'made in china w/recycled metal' vs 1975 'made in the US' w/virgin metal?

or, from their website: "The All-Cast Jack (red) is made of all cast parts, while the Cast & Steel Jack (black) has cast parts, along with 4 stamped steel parts... The all-cast jack will last longer when frequently used..." Frequently Asked Questions

my 2c

I'm being slow. Is the red or the black jack better?

EDIT:
1. Read the link - they are basically the same and they cost about the same.

google.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom