Hi Lift Jack question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I grew up using bumper jacks on old GM, Ford and Mopar stuff so I understand the basics of that.

I often see Jeeps, 4Runners, X-Terra etc with Hi Lift jacks mounted on them which I’m sure comes in handy when stuck or changing a tire on a lifted vehicle. What I don’t understand is I often see them on vehicles with stock bumpers. I saw that again moments ago on a 4Runner. I understand how you could easily place/use the jack with a big chunky ARB, Smittybuilt or ______________ bumper(s). How is a high lift jack of any value on say that stock bumpered 4Runner I just saw? Is it just something people carry to be ready to help a stuck buddy who has aftermarket bumpers and no jack?

Obviously I’m missing a major piece of knowledge.

Thanks,
Chris

You’re probably right that a lot of people think they need to have one as an essential piece of 4x4 kit but have not thought about how they would actually try to use it. Modern vehicles aren’t really made with hi lifts in mind.

Having said that I did lift a stock 95 4Runner with two hi lifts once. I think off the stock rear bumper. And it was ok.

You’re probably right that a lot of people think they need to have one as an essential piece of 4x4 kit but have not thought about how they would actually try to use it. Modern vehicles aren’t really made with hi lifts in mind.

Having said that I did lift a stock 95 4Runner with two hi lifts once. I think off the stock rear bumper. And it was ok.
‘95 still had chrome bumpers IIRC. That all makes sense and my guess too. People “need” one but don’t think about using it. Wheel lift straps look the ‘must have’ HiLift accessory to me.

It should be noted that hi lift jacks can be very dangerous. Doubly so without good dedicated lift points. That said you would be surprised how many vehicles with even plastic bumpers have metal cross members right behind/above them. You can also lift directly off many wheels and hitch receivers. Not ideal but I’ve done it several times. Several! Every so often the vehicle will fall off though usually to the left or right if your in the front or the rear. So yes it’s totally possible just far from ideal. You can do a lot too with a hilift and a length of chain if you don’t care about the finish. Same goes for those 2-3 inch wide tie down straps. Just get farm boy with that junk and get er done.

It should be noted that hi lift jacks can be very dangerous. Doubly so without good dedicated lift points. That said you would be surprised how many vehicles with even plastic bumpers have metal cross members right behind/above them. You can also lift directly off many wheels and hitch receivers. Not ideal but I’ve done it several times. Several! Every so often the vehicle will fall off though usually to the left or right if your in the front or the rear. So yes it’s totally possible just far from ideal. You can do a lot too with a hilift and a length of chain if you don’t care about the finish. Same goes for those 2-3 inch wide tie down straps. Just get farm boy with that junk and get er done.

I am aware bumper jacks are dangerous/difficult from experience. I can only assume the HiLift would be worse due to increased height, uneven non-paved surfaces etc. I also figure some of that is mitigated by better design/construction than the jacks of old from my youth.

The rear receiver hitch point is a good thought. My LX570 (hopefully) won’t be seeing any chains anytime soon, hahaha. Suacebox brought up the straps that affix directly to the wheels. That seems like it may be a good program and I have rear hitch receiver so that’s good.

I doubt I will get one in the near future but [edited] ‘I appreciate having a better understanding’. (Thanks @hotdiggitydamn for saving me from myself.)

Last edited:
If you end something with “I am curious...” your just asking for it. Just a PSA.

Adjusting my torsion bars last night with the hilift.

DB20C66A-01C4-4D97-B06E-BABD481FC3FD.jpeg

Are you hooked to a recovery hook or just at the point where the metal under-bumper connects to the frame?

My inner ADD has me wondering if the dent in the car across the street was caused by the cool blue car (on the lawn) running the STOP sign🤣🤣

On my particular vehicle there is a metal support running the majority of the width of the bumper. I just find a place under it where the metal is directly touching the plastic bumper and jack it up there.

That particular car no. The kiddos are working on doing just that to my work car though. Not sure why that’s a thing with my smallest stinker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom