Hi-Lift Jack Mounted on ARB Bull Bar 100-Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or you could just use these...

IMG-20110529-000382.jpg

41IizeBH-lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice fab work guys!

Is there much concern about the jack coming back through the windshield in an accident?

objects in motion remain in motion...if you are moving then if it breaks loose the other guy needs to worry more than yourself. Only way it is coming back at you is if you are traveling in reverse at high rate of speed and both bolts break simultaneously...or you hit something big enough to shove entire engine in your lap at which point you have more than 40# hi lift to worry about. :)

To me that is like worrying about air bag compatibility on my bumper....in my view the little SMART car IS MY AIR BAG CRUNCH ZONE!!!! :) :)

So is it just a coincidence that the bolts line up with the holes on the High-Lift?

You know I wondered the same thing, ARB must have been thinking ahead or just got lucky. The holes in the ARB are slightly larger that 1/2" so you have some play to work with. However they fit the Hi-Lift jack holes perfectly, and also centered the jack perfectly left-right on the bumper. It really was too easy, just throw the jack up there.

you had the can of paint out and you didnt hit the hi-lift handle? I'm defriending you.

Good call....

Actually I got more plans for that handle. Need to drill it out for the retaining pin I got from Carr and then paint it once drilled.

I will let you know when it's complete so you can friend me again!

I had three large lights setup the same way, no temp issues even in the middle of summer 110+ degree days.

All very nice, are the mounting ideas just for wheeling days out or is it your perm solution as where I come from back in South Africa that would not last 10min at a shopping centre before someone would walk off with my jack.

Its not an easy one as a jack needs to be easy to get to but not too easy that someone can walk off with it.

So it's not something that will come on/off the bar on a regular basis. The jack is on the bar for good, not just weekend trips.

All very nice, are the mounting ideas just for wheeling days out or is it your perm solution as where I come from back in South Africa that would not last 10min at a shopping centre before someone would walk off with my jack.

Its not an easy one as a jack needs to be easy to get to but not too easy that someone can walk off with it.

walk, hard.

I actually think a jack should be easy for anyone to walk off with it.. that's what makes it a useful tool on the trail, and not just an accessory. Good looking setup, if it were me I'd use some rubber washers and wing nuts. Then put the jack in the garage most the time.

[rant]
Imagine you're knee deep in a recovery on another truck, something slips, and you say "hey, someone grab my hi lift... " oh snap, ok everyone wait while I run up the hill in the snow and open my drawer system. Or worse, you compromise safety and use something else, because it was too much trouble to find all the tools to unbolt the jack.. so this log on top of the bottle jack on top of the rock on top of the bigger log will probably be good enough... I've seen that happen.

I don't care about the safety in an accident issue, I'm more concerned with keeping the jack clean and free of debris, ready for use, and easy access to anyone on the run should we need it. Hi Lifts are probably the most dangerous recovery tools out there, and everyone seems to get one, but stick it out in the elements where it gets all f'd up is begging for disaster, or at a minimum operating it won't be as easy. The little boots are nice for some added protection, but you'll see after a couple years how the insides are looking- all the slush buildup coming back from skiing- does the water drip inside the boot then freeze? And how will the rest of the tool look after it's been slid across branches, rocks, been used as a bottle opener.... worse case is those Jeeps you see with the hi-lift on the back bumper horizontally below the tailgate... constantly collecting road splash-back, loading up with snow, used in park-by-braille maneuvers... then expected to be used as an emergency recovery tool with someone under the vehicle. :eek:

And there's nothing more aggravating IMO than watching someone fumble for keys and/or special tools in the dark and snow because of their theft-proof receiver pin or something.. they always think it's just an extra second but it always ends up being multiple minutes.. you've got the strap ready, the guy behind you in reverse, and 15 guys on the CB with screaming wives and kids saying wtf is taking so long.. and the driver is fumbling through his center console looking for keys. :mad:

I lead a lot of runs, and a lot of those in the dark, and in inclement weather. Over time I've come to the conclusion that hi lifts should be kept warm and happy until just before the run, then stored somewhere that just about anyone could grab it to help. Ok, [/rant] :cheers: :popcorn:

Use one of these
IMG_3856-1.jpg

Then remove it and replace with a butterfly nut or something while on a trail. Works for me.

The cable gun lock also helps with the whole acident thing.

We used to worry about hitting cows and donkeys in africa with the jack mounted there, there are stories of large cows pulling them off the mounts and bringing them back into the windshield. The gun lock acts like that chain on your front door (As an ass to locks guy I know just how well these absorb shock) and stops if comming free when the proverbial S**** hits the fan.

If you cant get a gun lock that was made for the outside, get a small bike lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom