• I Have The 48" and It Isnt Long Enough

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I Have The 60" and It Works Great

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • I Have The 60" and Its Too Big

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

Thinking of completing my list of offroad must have and getting a hi-lift. I was thinking of the 48" unit because it much easier to store and it is obviously smaller.

Is the 48" enough for an 80 with a 3" OME lift in offroad conditions? Or would the 60" be a safer bet? Obviously the 60 can lift more, but would the 48 suffice?

Curious on what you are all running?

I think a 48 will work just fine.

I vote 60 too....48 is too small for my rig with a 6-7inch lift.

what if your truck is at a funky spot? I know the 48 only works on flat ground to get a tire 3 inches off the ground, on any uneven surface it no worky very well.

You may have "only" 3 inches of lift but what happens if you need to jack from a point where you are "in a hole" and need a lot of lift?

Get a 60 as long as you have a place to put it and be sure you understand how to operate it and treat it with great respect. Hilifts scare the hell outa me.

cruiserdan said:
You may have "only" 3 inches of lift but what happens if you need to jack from a point where you are "in a hole" and need a lot of lift?

Get a 60 as long as you have a place to put it and be sure you understand how to operate it and treat it with great respect. Hilifts scare the hell outa me.

Copy that! Yeah, i will probably get the 60 and just find a way to make it fit in the rig (spare tire carrier with hi lift mount will come much later). If absolutely necassary, i will trim a little off the top! :D

Yes, they scare the s*** out of me too! Have you ever heard that story awhile back about a guy in a landrover club run in new england having one whip up on him and smash his eye socket? Well, some friends and i were wheeling on the same trail and came up on that disaster about 20 mins or so after it happened. Been scared to death of them since. They work wonders in certain situations, but you MUST MUST MUST know how to use it and use EXTREME caution! NEVER leave that handle in the DOWN position!

Thanks for the input guys!

I also have to get off my ass and fab up some sliders and a rear bumper to be able to jack from!

Hey Mods!

Pretty lame moving this, i see this as much more "Tech" then some of the other stuff that is allowed to stay in there!

I guess it depends on who gives JUNK the best HJ's :D :D :D

Last edited:
Moved most likely because it is not 80's specific and you will get more input in this forum.

cruiserdan said:
Moved most likely because it is not 80's specific and you will get more input in this forum.

No Sweat Dan.

the 48" will be fine but going any bigger and I would want the 60.

I had the 48" hi-lift.

Just as CDan stated...I was in a funky spot and maxed out the 48 when I really needed it. If the only time you need the jack is on the driveway...the 48 will be more than enough :D

I ended up getting a 60" bar and swapping out the bits. Now I have a 60" hi-lift...and an extra 48 bar, if I need it.

FWIW, the 60" bar (once all the other parts are removed) will fit on the floor just behind the 1st row seats with no problems at all. The downside to having the 60 is that my rig will not fit in some parking garages because the bar sticks up above the roofline when attached to my slee rear bumper.

If you want to do it once...get the 60".

BTW, I'm currently sporting OME 2.5"...and the 48 was too small.

if you have any lift at all, go 60"...as mentioned, it's not whether or not you can lift your rig from flat ground, it's wether or not you can pick it up out of a hole on the trail.

Get the 60, never hurts to have a little extra leghth.

NorCalDoug said:
I had the 48" hi-lift.

Just as CDan stated...I was in a funky spot and maxed out the 48 when I really needed it.

I was there. COLD water is rushing down the trail. Shoes are wet. Plus the trail is so tight is hard to get in on the side to change Doug's tire. We jack the truck up all the way with his 40" hi-lift and his tires were still on the ground. So we had to bring it down and get my 60" jack.

Regards

Alvaro

alvarorb said:
...We jack the truck up all the way with his 40" hi-lift and his tires were still on the ground. So we had to bring it down and get my 60" jack.

Regards

Alvaro
Hey! Don't short me my 8 inches!!!

:D

That was my lesson learned.

NorCalDoug said:
Hey! Don't short me my 8 inches!!!

:D

That was my lesson learned.

And we were late for dinner that night...

Alvaro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom