Hi-jack mount location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddy gave me a brand new hi-jack and I'm trying to find a good location for it. I was thinking about the front bumper on the front, or inside. Maybe in the back of the seat. Let's hear some good ideas. I'm shopping for a mount, but I guess that depends where I put it. No rack, stock bumpers. Thanks and aloha

The 60" model fits in front of the back seat, behind the front seats, on the floor.

It's the 48" under the back seat sounds good. Just on the floor or attached to something? If I fold the seats down I don't really wanta move the thing constantly. Or can I mount it to the underside of the seat itself?

If the hi-lift is only taken on a weekend trip, it can be stored anywhere. But for longer term storage, keep it inside.
Sitting out in the weather it will rust to h*ll in no time.. IMO (and GLTHFj60's) the best place to keep it is just behind the driver's seat. Weight is up forward and low & it's out of the weather and out of the way.

If the hi-lift is only taken on a weekend trip, it can be stored anywhere. But for longer term storage, keep it inside.
Sitting out in the weather it will rust to h*ll in no time.. IMO (and GLTHFj60's) the best place to keep it is just behind the driver's seat. Weight is up forward and low & it's out of the weather and out of the way.

Most importantly (for me) the high-lift has an extremely low probability of becoming a projectile during an accident in that spot.

If you have passengers often, then whatever is on the soles of their shoes will be on your high-lift, so it will see some "weather" :D

On the roof corners became a bit scary, tip over weight.
Now always diagonal in rear, other stuff on top, if I sleep in the car put it out or aside, need to keep clean or wont work.

file.php

I've seen it mounted in front, behind the bumper, winch, and kind of strapped with a shovel.
Of course, I can't find a pic now.. but has anyone seen it like this? I have an ARB front bumper,
but no winch mounted (yet).

I wouldn't be going off-road often enough to keep it mounted. Maybe once every 1-2 months?
So I like the idea of keeping it in the truck or in my home, until needed.

I took a peek at my truck, looks like it will fit under the back seat . Looks tight but might fit. On the back of the seat looks good as well. The pad of the jack will slip nicely between the side of the seat and release latch

Is that a stock rear bumper?

On the roof corners became a bit scary, tip over weight.
Now always diagonal in rear, other stuff on top, if I sleep in the car put it out or aside, need to keep clean or wont work.

file.php

I took a peek at my truck, looks like it will fit under the back seat . Looks tight but might fit. On the back of the seat looks good as well. The pad of the jack will slip nicely between the side of the seat and release latch
I have to look also. I have '90 FJ62, and I thought the rear bench actually rests on the floor, and hinges forward. I didn't notice any "legs" or bumps to make space UNDER the rear bench? My kids would be sitting back there, so I don't want the hi-jack on the floor at their feet.

Hi ff347, yes it is stock, 1985-05 build in Japan, came from/to France to Netherlands.
When I removed the left side bumper to weld, it had rivets! NOO :bang: :confused:

file.php

Currently mine's sitting on top of a canvas bag behind the rear seat. The canvas has tow straps, tie downs, etc. It's kept in place by two bungees attached to the back of the seat bracket. This way it's out of the way and also unlikely to become a projectile.

I used to have mine mounted to my roof rack. I was a pita and put weight up high. Then I mounted it to the rear spare mounted on my kaymar bumper. But I did not like that because it was exposed to hiking high rocks and thus subject to damage. Now I have it mounted to the top of my ARB front bumper and I really like it there. It is not high enough to change the center of gravity of my truck. It is easy to retrieve when needed and it is out of the way for damage.

The main reason I don't like keeping it in the cab is in case of roll over. Unless it is mounted to something for safety.

I live in the desert, so rust is not an issue.

Good luck

image.jpg
image.jpg
Perfect fit!!! Can't move around and the seat isn't touching it. Love it. Thanks guys

but the back of the bench seat won't fold down flat and lock in place, will it?
I'd be worried the hi-lift jack would puncture or tear the covering of the
bench seat back. Thank you for the pictures!

image.jpg
Yeah with the seats folded no way your gonna be able to keep it there. I fiddled with it more and this appears to be the only way without it touching the bottom of the seat. When I pull the new carpet kit that's in my parts truck I will come up with a way to secure it. No big deal, if you gotta fold the seats just gotta move it. I've had bigger problems haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom