Hi guys I'needing help 78FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys.
My 78 Fj40 went downhill very quick.
first my body is in really bad shape, when I go over a bump the entire tub goes up in the air and now I blow it up.
so I think is time for a restore, I don't have a lot of money but I want to do it right, for the motro I want to put a toyota 4.5L out of a 93 to 97 landcruiser with my 4 speed trany
now for the body a don't know what to do I need help. I don't really like alu and I don't need it I'm in florida. I was thinking in Real Steel Cruiser Parts on ebay but I'm worried about the quality. I like pauls tub but they are a little spensive for me. what should I do??

62292_477210324782_790779782_6862323_1402336_n.jpg

bujia.jpg

Where in FL are you? The body in that picture looks pretty good. Is the body really rusted out, or just the mounts? More pictures of the problem area's would help.

yes I know people that do some body work. I personally hate body work! :(

On the money to spend, I don't really have a budget. my truck is to go off road and trails so I don't really want to put it as a show truck and then feel sorry to take it out and play with it, every time I see that spark plug I feel like crying, I miss my truck

Wow, thats some pretty bad looking plug action. Guessing that the piston came up and kissed it. Overrevved on some air?

JohnnyC has it right, see what you can afford. Its not just a monetary thing, cause time is something you cant afford to waste with a project either. You dont wanna lay down good money only to get sick of it and sell it to a low baller. Then get the FJ fever all over again.

If you cant weld, one of your friends might or know someone who can. You can beg, borrow, or pay in beer'n'pizza. The woman isnt looking, so I can admit to running the lathe/mill and the welder in trade....for a few lap dances....hahahahahahaaha, not kidding.

Ironpig and southbostonfj has replacement panels for your rig.

as said above the body might not be all that bad...i had bad mounts in the rear of mine....and it banged HARD when wheeling....well more like lacking mounts (there were no bolts holding down the rear)

do you have access to another engine? 4.5? or just thinking that might be a way to go?

yes I know people that do some body work. I personally hate body work! :(

On the money to spend, I don't really have a budget. my truck is to go off road and trails so I don't really want to put it as a show truck and then feel sorry to take it out and play with it, every time I see that spark plug I feel like crying, I miss my truck

Well hell, thats even better. Get some large pieces of cardboard and start laying out your floor. You can get some sheets of 16ga. and cut them out with a jig saw. Or borrow someones plasma, that would be the sweet ticket!!!

There are quite a few folks in that area that can help with what ails you. Check FLCA or NFCH too.

as said above the body might not be all that bad...i had bad mounts in the rear of mine....and it banged HARD when wheeling....well more like lacking mounts (there were no bolts holding down the rear)

do you have access to another engine? 4.5? or just thinking that might be a way to go?

I had a 70 series in venezuela and the power and torque was the best. I really want to keep it all toyota, but if you have any suggestion shoot I'm all ears
DSC00468.jpg

Well ****, thats even better. Get some large pieces of cardboard and start laying out your floor. You can get some sheets of 16ga. and cut them out with a jig saw. Or borrow someones plasma, that would be the sweet ticket!!!

yes I like that idea, I have a sandblaster I was thinking and pull the body out of the frame and start sandblasting. what do you guys think?

ohhhh yeah...thats pretty far gone

If it were me it would be a look for a new tub time :)

are the drives and pass floor bad as well?

looks like there are alot of patches in the rear...hard to tell with all that MUD .... IH8MUD :)

I would start with a solid powerwash and see what really needs to be replaced...I think I see daylight through a serious crack in the driver side wheel well in that last pic....go from there.

Here is a FJ40 that came from Florida. Once in AZ it was parted out. So is this tub restoreable? It look like it's in better shape than that 78. I guess I'm saying in AZ that cruiser is long past a replacement tub.
143.JPG
144.JPG
147.JPG

to me it looks like a good tub but a don't know to much about body work what I do know that tub is 79 and up

Here is a FJ40 that came from Florida. Once in AZ it was parted out. So is this tub restoreable? It look like it's in better shape than that 78. I guess I'm saying in AZ that cruiser is long past a replacement tub.

yes the drivers floor has some patches pass side it looks good

ohhhh yeah...thats pretty far gone

If it were me it would be a look for a new tub time :)

are the drives and pass floor bad as well?

looks like there are alot of patches in the rear...hard to tell with all that MUD .... IH8MUD :)

what I do know that tub is 79 and up

Yes it's a 82 tub. I bought the tub and frame after buying a bunch of other parts off of it. Just trying to figure if I what to try and fix this tub or cut off the parts I want and install them on my 79. This dash is cleaner, wheel wells aren't cut, later two piece steering column, later glove box and dome light switches in the A pillar are all item that I want on my 79.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom