Hi guys! I'm new here. Quick Q about new springs! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! Super excited to join the forum!

A few months back, I purchased a '92 FJ80 Landcruiser. Very nostalgic! I've loved these things since I was a kid!

It currently has an 2.5" OME lift w/ med springs. I just ordered a front winch bumper + rear tire carrier bumper (NW Trail Innovations). Pretty sure I'll wanna put some heavier springs on now. Was thinking the Dobinsons 3". This should be a pretty easy swap right? Or is there more I need to change, going from 2.5" to 3"?

Thanks guys!

878EF69B-C429-4AB0-A0A7-08BFCDA6FFB9.jpeg

What is your use for the truck? I'm guessing that this won't be a heavy wheeled rig? If that was the case, I'd throw on the parts and see where it sits. If it needs more lift, I would put in some packers / spacers. But again, without knowing your intentions, budget, etc. we're all just guessing.

Leave it like it is and see how you like it before you go spending more money.

What is your use for the truck? I'm guessing that this won't be a heavy wheeled rig? If that was the case, I'd throw on the parts and see where it sits. If it needs more lift, I would put in some packers / spacers. But again, without knowing your intentions, budget, etc. we're all just guessing.
We're a family of 7. The Landcruiser is our family wheeling rig! Currently running 33's -- but we'd like to run 35's.... or possibly 37's. I wanna say it's not gonna be a hardcore wheeling rig -- but before kids, I had a extremely built up Jeep Rubicon. And I know my tendancies.

I have a FZJ80, not the FJ80 like you have. I'm sure other's will pipe in, but I suspect in order to run any larger tires, you're also going to need gears. How much are you willing to dump into this thing?

Hey everyone! Super excited to join the forum!

A few months back, I purchased a '92 FJ80 Landcruiser. Very nostalgic! I've loved these things since I was a kid!

It currently has an 2.5" OME lift w/ med springs. I just ordered a front winch bumper + rear tire carrier bumper (NW Trail Innovations). Pretty sure I'll wanna put some heavier springs on now. Was thinking the Dobinsons 3". This should be a pretty easy swap right? Or is there more I need to change, going from 2.5" to 3"?

Thanks guys!

View attachment 2097209
A bit harder to tell by the angle of the pics, but if those are 33" tires, you're already at least 3" lifted. And if you want 35's with decent articulation you're after a 4"+ lift minimum (with spacers or otherwise) and all the pros/cons that go with getting that amount of lift to work satisfactorily. Which is where the "How much do you want to spend?" question comes in to play.

If you're locked, what you have there will get you plenty far enough for 6 passengers, imo.

I would suggest reading the FAQ section on the 80 series forum. Springs are covered in depth. No need to rehash this again.

I have a FZJ80, not the FJ80 like you have. I'm sure other's will pipe in, but I suspect in order to run any larger tires, you're also going to need gears. How much are you willing to dump into this thing?
As much as I want. As long as it's a little at a time... as to not be detected by the wife.

A bit harder to tell by the angle of the pics, but if those are 33" tires, you're already at least 3" lifted. And if you want 35's with decent articulation you're after a 4"+ lift minimum (with spacers or otherwise) and all the pros/cons that go with getting that amount of lift to work satisfactorily. Which is where the "How much do you want to spend?" question comes in to play.

If you're locked, what you have there will get you plenty far enough for 6 passengers, imo.

35’s will fit fine on a 2.5-3” lift. Has been tried and proven for a years.

However the gears comment is probably spot on.

Good looking rig. I agree leave as is for now and see how it reacts to new gear. Springs are one of the easier swaps to do.

35’s will fit fine on a 2.5-3” lift. Has been tried and proven for a years.

However the gears comment is probably spot on.

Good looking rig. I agree leave as is for now and see how it reacts to new gear. Springs are one of the easier swaps to do.
Yeah they 'fit'. But it gets pretty close to the line between 'easy bolt-on' and 'well now that you're 2" beyond the intended tire-size design limit, you need X, Y, Z, parts to make it all really work well'. I was just giving a heads up on it, is all.

My old 80 had arb front bumper with winch, arb roof rack and slee rear bumper. i had it on ome med's with front trim packer from Manafre. So yeah i agree with everyone to keep 'em on and then armor it up to see where it sits.

OLD RIG with ome med's and manafre spacers up front.
28752324896_83d4dc205e_k.jpg

Current rig is also on OME med's with a trim packer up front. not as much weight bolted on this time around but still looks good. i guess my point being the ome meds have a pretty good rate to handle stockish or armored
2.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I want. As long as it's a little at a time... as to not be detected by the wife.
Gears, tires, suspension. These are not "a little at a time" but instead "thousand dollar bill and more at a time". I sure know my wife would detect it.

Yeah they 'fit'. But it gets pretty close to the line between 'easy bolt-on' and 'well now that you're 2" beyond the intended tire-size design limit, you need X, Y, Z, parts to make it all really work well'. I was just giving a heads up on it, is all.
uh.... no. My old 80 with 35's on a 3" lift with no other mods to "make them fit" or to "make them work really well". Oh and this one is unlocked. Must be a useless rig. ;)
whiteKnuckle by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

256 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

17 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

3" lift on my current 80 with 35's and no other mods needed for the tires to fit and work.
IMG_7851adj by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Tell me more about all the needed X, Y and Z parts to make 35's work on 3" of lift. Was a pretty easy bolt on for me.
IMG_0630 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Just busting your balls. But it really isn't difficult to run 35's with minimal lift and still have it work very well. In fact, I'm running 37's on a 3" lift with only minor trimming (still have the flares on) and 1" additional bumpstop. I have some other mods as well but none of them are "necessary" for the tires to fit and work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom