Hi all, got a loose hose and don't know where it goes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Thank u for your help in advance. I put a new starter in a week ago and have not been able to get the LC to idle. It turns over and will die right away. I took the intake manifold out today to replace the gaskets and noticed a loose hose. Please see photos. Would this have caused th LC not to turnover? And can someone please let me know what the hose plugs in to? The hose located near the firewall where the starter bolts in... Thank u...
20201019_161048.jpg
20201019_161216.jpg

I definitely didn't see anything like that when I did the starter on our '99. To me it looks like an evap system line. Should be a handful on the driver's side of the motor. Missing a vacuum line is likely to result in your start-then-die condition.

Trace it to where it is connected. My bet is it is a breather hose.

But no, even if that was an evap or vacuum line it still would start but your idle wouldn't be smooth. Something else is afoot.

Can you describe the starting issue more?

Not a breather. It would have a filter on the end and it wouldn't have that style of clamp.

Pretty sure it's a vacuum line. What is the other end connected to?

I don't know what the other end of the hose connects to other than following it in the picture to where it goes...it is located in a real tough spot to deal with it...all help is greatly appreciated...

is it actually connected to anything on the other end? I can't tell where it goes after it goes under the wiring harness. Are you sure you didn't drop a random hose back there?

This thread has some good pictures of the engine with the intake off. I can't find a hose that looks like yours.

I don't know what the other end of the hose connects to other than following it in the picture to where it goes...it is located in a real tough spot to deal with it...all help is greatly appreciated...

@Hugh Douglas, I believe I have an answer for you. I went out and crawled back there and took some photos, which I will upload after this.

Look at your transmission dipstick, about 12-18" down the tube you will find two metal nipples. My guess is you have a hose missing from one of them. The hoses on my '99 head towards the same area on the transmission that yours do in your photo. One goes to the top of the trans (breather) the other goes down and over towards the drivers side to the overflow control. It runs under the master harness on top of the bell housing as yours does.

There are two approximately 1/2" OD reinforced rubber tubes, with 1/4-3/8" ID (didn't remove mine to measure ID) that run from the transmission up. One is overflow control and the other is the breather/vent which utilizes the trans dipstick tube as it is one of the highest points in the engine compartment.

These utilize the same clamping style that your photo shows and the hose looks to be the same diameter.

If it is either of these hoses - as noted before they won't make any impact to starting or idling.

Last edited:
Good stuff!

Now to figure out why it's not starting... :beer:
I have a feeling I did not tourqe the manifold bolts or throttle body bolts to the right specs...I am searching now to try and find the proper tourqe specs for each of those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom