HFS vs. OME lift kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where you guys buying the Skyjacker springs??

Don't see too many people running them but I like my set of springs/shocks from Procomp.

Saved quit a bit of money also over OME which wasn't even in stock at the time.

Don't see too many people running them but I like my set of springs/shocks from Procomp.

Saved quit a bit of money also over OME which wasn't even in stock at the time.

I dont know if this is still the case but this is from another thread I book marked a while back (2016)
Ristretto, you'll be happy to know that Pro-Comp springs are made by NHK, they are the company who builds genuine Toyota springs. When Downey was in business, we were lucky enough to get to use NHK, and NHK designed more features into a Downey spring than the number of features that genuine factory springs had. Eventually Toyota's factory spring features caught up with Downey springs though. Only problem with your suspension now is Pro-Comp uses Gabriel as their shock supplier, and Gabriel's tend to be on the stiffer side of life.

Anyone able to confirm?

I have the HF springs, but use OME shackles. The OME shackles are the best in my opinion. Greaseable and well designed. I also pitched the HFS shocks and got Bilstein 5100s.

P.S.: Forgot to add, when I first bought the '40, I replaced the stock springs with an OME lift kit, sold the springs (stock and OME), kept the OME shackles and shocks. The OME shocks were no slouch either and had them for many years and only recently installed the Bilsteins, so don't have a lot of experience with them. Like the OME, they are gas charged.

Last edited:
I'm getting rid of 4" rough country springs that have horrible geometry (short, over arched leaves) and going with 2" sky jacker because they seem to be the longest, and they are made in the USA. Its all force components, letting the shackle swing as the spring flattens out instead of putting the shackle compression and transmitting forces through the frame.

I'm using Bilstein shocks up front and some soft OE replacement ones in the back. I contacted KYB and they said the KYB 343403 Excel-G Gas Shock are the same as stock replacements but longer (I think they are T100 shocks.) For what its worth my 11/69 has the lower rear shock mount above the spring, not below so that is a length difference as well.

I considered using rubber bushings from cruiser outfitters to dampen vibrations, which should fit in the skyjackers, but think I will just stick with the poly. This is getting installed next month after I get back in town.
Dude I didn't know that about the shackle swinging, but that's a good point... I might have to get me a skyjacker kit. Now here's the question... I want a 2.5" kit, but should I get the L24 which comes with 4" rear lift? Is that necessary?

so the the shackle is straight up and down?
No, the shackle should be at close t a right angle to the spring. This ensures optimum travel in both extension and compression. (This is on our Troopy)
OME shackles.JPG

Wow I didn't consider a lift kit bueno, here’s my front after the Skyjackers. My axle came forward about 3/4” and the shackles now rake forward, the result is a more supple ride and better flex.

Pitched?
s*** canned

No bueno, here’s my front after the Skyjackers. My axle came forward about 3/4” and the shackles now rake forward, the result is a more supple ride and better flex.

View attachment 2738376

Are you running the 2" or 4" skyjacker springs? Those look like 33x10.50s. Ya?

Are you running the 2" or 4" skyjacker springs? Those look like 33x10.50s. Ya?
4" Skyjackers up front, correct on the tire size

I think I've narrowed my list to skyjacker or going with custom from Alcan. Been emailing with them trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost to go with Alcan.

@77mustard40 would you mind getting a measurement for me of the distance between the bottom of your fender and the top of your tire? I've got unknown aftermarket spring height and shackles. So not sure if I should go with 2" or 4" springs.

I think I've narrowed my list to skyjacker or going with custom from Alcan. Been emailing with them trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost to go with Alcan.

@77mustard40 would you mind getting a measurement for me of the distance between the bottom of your fender and the top of your tire? I've got unknown aftermarket spring height and shackles. So not sure if I should go with 2" or 4" springs.
Can do this evening... I'd suggest center of hub to bottom of fender for a more accurate outcome as that eliminates tire size discrepancies. I had another member do the same for me about a year ago so I had an idea of how things would shake out with new springs.

Ya. Center of hub. That would be great. Thanks.

I have Alcan springs on mine. The thing with Alcan is, you really need to know the front and rear weight of your truck as it will be when you are finished. You can go to a truck stop and get the front and rear weighed, but then you need to add the weight of any bumpers, winches, sliders, skid plates, heavy crap you may regularly carry (even passengers), etc. They make them specifically for whatever weight you say. If you guess wrong, they may sag too soon or alternately be too hard and stiff.

The good thing about Alcan is, you're not limited to only 2.5 or 4" of lift, they can do anything you want within reason, even stock height. I had them do 3" for mine. I'm running 33x10.5 x15 tires, as seen here:

@brian
Are your skyjackers a soft ride? What lift 2.5 or 4? I know. I know. It's SWB leaf sprung truck but I want as soft as possible. I'm tired of having a teeth jarring ride. Between the stiff suspension, the worn out seats, and all the squeeks and rattles, it's just not fun to drive. So I'm gonna fix all that cause I have some $$$ available to fix it and I don't like it sitting without use. I like it and I wanna use it.

Last edited:
i almost want to say yes it is a soft ride....given that its a swb leaf sprung truck.....firm might be a better word....jarring it is not, nor is it stiff.
i have the four inch springs.

shacklefront21.jpg

shacklerear21.jpg

jun21.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom