HFS shock mounts / suspension / lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing the 4 inch HFS suspension and the top shock bolts on front of vehicle dont' fit the shock towers. They are too short to pass through mount and shock by about 1 inch. Can't use the old ones because diameter is too large for shock bushing sleeve. In other words, project just screeched to a halt but beer consumption can begin ahead of schedule. :beer:

Anyone have an idea on what to do? CCOT is closed.

TIA, ChuckD

ChuckD said:
I am installing the 4 inch HFS suspension and the top shock bolts on front of vehicle dont' fit the shock towers. They are too short to pass through mount and shock by about 1 inch. Can't use the old ones because diameter is too large for shock bushing sleeve. In other words, project just screeched to a halt but beer consumption can begin ahead of schedule. :beer:

Anyone have an idea on what to do? CCOT is closed.

TIA, ChuckD

Why would you remove the shock tower bolts? They usually aren't included in any shock and you just push the shock rubber onto the oem mounting bolt.

In other words the factory top shock mount bolts are supposed to stay where the factory put them.

Good point. I thought the bolts that came from CCOT would have been specific to the shock/tower/etc assembly. Unfortunately the previous owner had two different bolts styles, one of which was simply a bolt with no provision for the bushing. It would have "worked" but I rather have a real shock mount. Will check around and look for adequate replacement.

CHuckD

If they're gone you want the part marked "25" here: http://www.sor.com/sor/cat102.tam?xax=21032&page.ctx=cat102.tam
and the nuts/washers for both sides.

It's unusual that someone would take them out as they're pretty good universal upper mounts. Probably there's someone who's got a pair they'd let you have if you post a wanted in the 'parts wanted forum' here.

Ditto here. Left CCOT today with new shocks and received the impropoer shock mounting bolts for the front. Pulled mine because the new, 'pretty' ones that came from CCOT. They are about an inch short. I will try to make the old ones work.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Are the bolts year specific?

I installed my lift about a ayear ago and the shock pins didn't fit either. I was going to put them on because they were there, but ditto on the whole too short thing.

I gave CCOT a heads up on it, I guess they didn't do anything about it.

My64,

Did you just re-use the factory pins?

Yup,

I torqued them on there pretty good so I hope I don't have to take them off any time soon;)

If you don't have them, looks like SOR still sells them new and used,

I didn't have any shock install problems, went on fine. I only had problems with the rear not giving sufficient lift to level the truck and wound up using 6" long (hole to hole or about 2.5" over) shackles in the rear, and 1.5" over in the front. I didn't like the hfs shackles and replaced them with side plates instead.

What is funny is this thread is 9 years old and the same crap bolts come with the HFS kits. Not an issue for me, I used F250 shock towers but my friend on the other hand is standing there scratching his head wondering what the hell CCOT was thinking.

I did my 1975 FJ40 in 2010 and the same thing happened to me. I called them and told them about it and they acted really surprised that the bolts were not long enough.
Gary

Funny, the same thing just happened on the phone when asked about it.... "most people don't have that problem" ..well most people either do something defferent, or just use the old ones if they can. In the case of my friend he had to replace the P/S upper shock mount stud/bolt for some reason. No biggie I have a couple extra old ones. Just strikes me funny that they would include something that does not work, seems like one is throwing money away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom