HF2AV versus HF2A rebuild kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched everything my tunnel vision mind can come up with, what is the difference in the bearing kit for the V versus the non viscous transfer case?

My LX is viscous coupling, I can find some semi inexpensive rebuild kits for the non v/c cases. None for the V/C case.

Any help or info is appreciated!!

Nobody has rebuilt a 80 series transfer case recently?
Rebuild kits don’t exist because they are unecessary. I told the shop that installed my part time kit and lower low range gear that I at least wanted to replace both out put bearings and they asked me “why, are they presenting a problem”? And then proceeded to inform me that HF2AV complete rebuilds are very rare.
The internals are bigger than necessary just like most every other part of the drive train.

The shop I used was Valley Hybrids, a very well known and respected LandCruiser shop on central CA. You might give them a call about your issue.

You asked if anyone had rebuilt an 80 series transfer case recently and you got the appropriate response, “crickets”, because it happens very rarely and if yours actually needs a full rebuild, it has been severely abused.

Rebuild kits don’t exist because they are unecessary. I told the shop that installed my part time kit and lower low range gear that I at least wanted to replace both out put bearings and they asked me “why, are they presenting a problem”? And then proceeded to inform me that HF2AV complete rebuilds are very rare.
The internals are bigger than necessary just like most every other part of the drive train.

The shop I used was Valley Hybrids, a very well known and respected LandCruiser shop on central CA. You might give them a call about your issue.

You asked if anyone had rebuilt an 80 series transfer case recently and you got the appropriate response, “crickets”, because it happens very rarely and if yours actually needs a full rebuild, it has been severely abused.

Since I'm treading into rarely swum waters, I've researched the center diff on these rigs a lot. A LOT!! And I get it, my situation is unique. These are very robust units and most don't see issues till north of 300k miles if at all. I picked up a used unit with around 175k miles, because it was less expensive than the rebuild kits I was finding, and it was available. Most of the kits were months out. This one will get new front and rear output bearings and seals, and new deflectors since they are hammered. Its on the bench and I figure its a good a time as any to start fresh. With 170+ thousand miles on it, everything turns like butter! The bearings in the cones aren't bad, but the deflectors are hammered. Since I have to press the shafts out anyways.........

Once the truck is back up and running, I will pull the unit apart that comes out and see where the failure is. I don't anticipate keeping it, as I don't think having a spare is really needed. Yes, I am hard on my rig, and I think my lack of observation and maintenance caused my failure. Read: I think I got water in it and didn't catch it till it took something out. Lesson learned!

Thank you for your input!

Chiming in late but wanted to clear the air. Kits are available and we stock them here in SLC, days out perhaps... definitely not months out :D

We offer the rebuild kit for the two variants and I can assure you customers are rebuilding them :D

FJ80 Transfer Case Overhaul Kit - $475.00
(Fits 1/1990-8/92 FJ80 with original HF2A Transfer Case. Also fits 1990+ non-US 8x Series transfer cases, please call with VIN for verification)
Part# TC9092

TC9092.jpg

TC9092 (gasket is not used on US spec case)

FZJ80 Transfer Case Overhaul Kit - $485.00
(Fits 8/1992-1/98 FZJ80/LX450 with original HF2AV Transfer Case. Also fits 1990+ non-US 8x Series transfer cases, please call with VIN for verification)
Cruiser Outfitters Part# TC9297

TC9297.jpg

Cruiser Outfitters Part# TC9297 (gasket is not used on US spec case)

As for the difference, the TC9297 contains an additional bearing and slightly different seal(s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom