HF Tongue Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAToyota

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
I was looking at this awhile back: Locking Steel Trailer Tongue Box

For the money, it is pretty sturdy and I like the way that the top seals. Other place I looked was TSC and they couldn't come close on either price or quality.

Coupon today only for 25% off: Coupon Display

That brings it down under $100. Think I'll take the plunge on it.

Picked one up - actually, the last one the local store had in stock. Came to $103 and change after the coupon and with sales tax. Didn't ask if they'd do a raincheck with the 25% coupon.

Have to post some pictures up once I get it unpacked.

that's timely. I'm looking for one too. post up pictures of what you're putting it on and how it fits.

-Ryan

X-2 on posting up some pics, that box looks like it would work well on my project for next summer, and the price is right.

Have to take some pictures tomorrow, but got it unboxed this evening. Pluses and minuses - sort of expect that from HF...

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. It is solid and stout. The clasp is adjustable, so you can make sure that it is closing securely and has weatherstripping to keep the elements out.

The bottom of the box is solid and the unit comes with no mounting hardware - so you're left to figure out how you want to mount things yourself. The instructions show a couple options for drilling through the bottom and either bolting to your tongue or using u-bolts around a frame member. Frankly, as heavy as the box is, I'm not sure I'd recommend the u-bolt setup. I just cannot see that being secure.

I'm putting it on a typical dual-axle flat car/equipment trailer. It fits on the a-frame tongue pretty well, but the angles don't line up exactly. If I line the back of the box up with the tongue, the box sticks over less than half an inch on either side at the front of the box. For me, not a concern.
IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

However, as you can see in the second photo above, mine came out of the box a little less than whole.

All of the aluminum rivets on the lid side of the hinge had broken and the lid was loose from the box.

I spent a moment debating whether to return it for another one. I decided not to. First, because this was the last one in stock and I knew I'd have to wait until they got another one shipped in. Second, because if this happened just in shipping I'm not sure how well it would hold up to general use.

For the price, the box is solid and I'm pleased with it. For $100, I haven't seen anything else out there that compares to it. So I think I'll get a couple weld-on barrel hinges and do it right. For less than the cost of what I saved with the coupon I'll have a tough, solid improvement.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed that I'll have to mess up the factory powdercoating to do the welding, but I'd rather have things secure.
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg

Last edited:
I put mine on two trips ago and the seal/gasket on the door SUCK. There was more dust inside than outside it seemed. I haven't got around to changing them but hopefully once changed it will be sealed. If not I'm going to have to spend the money for one that will seal.

Have you adjusted the clasp? The one I looked at in the store had a noticeable gap when it was closed. I adjusted that one and got it to seal pretty firmly.

Yep all the way down and its uber hard to close. Just need to change the gasket I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom