HF and VHF aerials location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On your 80 series where located are the antennas for HF and VHF ? what is the most popular aerials brend you use? in HF (1,8-30 Mhz) how many distance did you made in a QSO? Have you never made radio connections over your country? i ask it because from italy the nearly desert is sahara.. i will try to talk from sahara to italy next november using HF

Hello
Have never been HF mobile, but have talked to many and find the electric screwdridrive antenna works good, and also the hustler antenna with the right
resenator works good to
Find most mount antenna off of rear trailer hitch with spring ball
VHF is good mounted on roof or front fender
Hope that helps
VA7GS

Andrea;

When I got my rig put together, my first QSO was Saudi Arabia on 12 meters. I would think that 20 meters would get u into Italy from the Sahara; if the bands are working.

Here are some pictures of my installation:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/RigProj/page16.html

David in Denver, CO, USA
k0dar

My 10m/6m/2m antenna is on the hood lip, driver side, half way back. Considering that I often carry odd stuff on the roof and use the hatch a lot, this was probably the best choice. It's great on 2m/440; 10m is still ok.

your reply are very interesting, i just gave a look to the linked sites. Have you some project about your aerials? Have you never tried to use a vertical dipole by using ballons whit helium inside? is it strange?? do you think is it possible?
Thanks for your reply again.

I have a dual band 2M/70CM mounted to mt roof rack (drivers side rear) and an electronic screwdriver (ATAS-120) on the rear hatch (passenger side).

I seem to be able to "hear" (RX) quite well (e.g., lots of 20M activity from west coast of north america, and was monitoring a NZ based contest station based in a lighthouse outside of Aukland from the east cost of NA).

That being said, I'm not sure that I can be heard at this point!

Cheers, Hugh

Regarding 2m VHF antennas location, it seems most Americans prefer to mount the antennas up on the roof citing ground plan issues. However, whenever I get my issue of the Aussie 4WD Monthly magazine, it seems like most 4x4s have the antennas mounted to their front bull bars.

Is one location really better then the other?

Thanks.

I would say the bigger the ground plain you have under you antenna the better.
I think the bull bar mounts are ok But do not provide that nice large flat surface for a ground plain that your roof dose. The large flat surface of your roof acting as a ground plain will allow your antenna to radiate much better than the bull bar.

Just my opinion.

1990LJ78 is right. an isotropic antenna like a stilo sends more RF in the same direction the ground plane is larger. in some cases the ground plane make an isotropic antenna like a directive vertical antenna. for 2m and 70cm no problem about large ground plane but for HF i think it's more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom