Hey...new to forum...new to Oklahoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello....I usually stay on the boards over at yotatech and t4x4pickup, but I saw this club and since I'm moving to Edmond, OK next week, I thought I'd pop in, say hello, and ask a few questions.

Any recommendations for areas near Edmond / OKC to do some light / family friendly four wheeling? My truck is mostly stock with 31" tires and I usually bring my kids, so I'm not looking for anything too technical...just some outdoor family fun. Also, any recommendations for places to ride dirtbikes in the Edmond / OKC area. My eight year old and I enjoy trailriding here in Virginia, and hope to find some decent areas to ride in Okloahoma.

Thanks,

Wade

Wade,
Welcome to the forum and to Edmond. I live in west Edmond/Deer Creek and we have a couple more members in the Edmond area also. Unfortunately, we don't have many good places to wheel in this part of the state, but within a couple hours drive there are several. However, for dirt bikes, there is a fairly new place about 30 minutes north of Edmond along I-35 at the Hwy 51 exit to Stillwater. We also have a club member who used to ride there and could prob give you more relevant info for this. Do you have a home here yet, or will you be looking when you get here? How soon can you go wheeling once you get here? Jody and I (maybe a couple more) are planning to go to Muskogee for a poker run (Oklahoma Trailchasers) the weekend of June 11th-want to come along? (you can't pass up the opportunity to actually MEET an Okie from Muskogee, can you??? Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes: ) I think the plan is to go up early Saturday AM, camp Saturday night and wheel a little Sunday AM before coming back to Edmond. Let us know if you need any help with anything or need any info on this area. Good luck with the move.

Dave Rising

Thanks!

Dave...thanks for the reply and the offer. I would love to take you up on your offer; however, my wife would be pissed if I left her alone with three kids in a hotel on our first weekend in a new town. How tough is the wheeling you're talking about. My truck sat for two years while I built a new engine, and I'm just now developing a little confidence in my work. I guess the 1300 mile trip to Edmond will be the final test of my work!!

I haven't found a house yet and will be spending my first two weeks looking for a house full-time before I start my new job. From what I've read, it looks like Deer Creek and Edmond Schools are amoung the best in the area, so we've focused mainly in that area.

Do you have any recommendations for good neighborhoods in Edmond / Deer Creek? We're looking around 250-350K.

Thanks again...Wade

Wade,
I understand about not leaving the family in a hotel-NOT a good way to begin the move! How old are your kids? You should have a good selection of homes in your price range around here. Do you have/want a realtor? I may be able to help if you want one-I have some I've used before and would do so again. Just let me know. There really aren't vast differences in schools within the Edmond district-it's long been known as one of the better metro districts. I don't have personal experience with Edmond schools, but do have many years with Deer Creek (DC) schools. My oldest will be a senior there next year-he started kindergarten at DC and has been there ever since. If you have grade school aged kids and want to be in DC, my strong preference would be to stay within the Deer Creek Prairie Vale (DCPV) area. We moved from there to the Deer Creek Elementary (DCE) area this past year and wish we had not done so. Both are nationally recognized and operate under the same school board, but the atmosphere at DCPV seems much better than DCE. I hope this is of some help. If you want to call me, I'll be happy to help where I can. I'll PM you my contact info. Where will you be working when you get here? It's pretty easy to get around here, but traffic is definitely getting worse by the day-prob pretty mild compared to the Northeast tho. Good luck with the move.

Dave Rising

There is plenty of housing in the 250-350K range in Edmond/Deer Creek. Get you a realtor and give them specific parameters for your home needs and let them find you one. We actually found ours by driving around -- but that's not the norm.

Another piece of advice is that when you find one that you like, jump on it immediately. Maybe not so much in your price range, but in the 150-175 ish range, they are gone nearly as soon as they hit the market in our experience.

250-350k will buy you A LOT of house here in OK. Be sure to tell your realtor what you need space-wise and land-wise and NOT price-wise. You may be suprised at what you can get for less now-a-days. We have a 2900+ sq/ft 4 bed, 2 car residential lot in Danforth Farms that we got for 165k. Now, it was built in '88, but if you saw it today you wouldn't think so. Large mature trees in the back yard, spacious open floor plan, etc. The only thing I regret is the 2 car garage. But we love it. Shop around for what you NEED, not your price range. You may be suprised.

Good luck!! Give me a call if you need any info on Edmond or advice on neighborhoods and such. My sister-in-law teaches Jr. & Sr. english at Deer Creek Highschool. 405.323.7663 (cell)

Jody Potter.

Wade,

Welcom to Oklahoma! I just moved here a couple months ago and so far really like it. We live in the Deer Creek area and there is a For Sale By Owner house in our neighborhood. It is on at least an acre and is almost new. 3 car. The subdivision is Cedar Ridge Farms at the corner of Coffee Creek and MacAurther. It is priced just under $300K. It may be worth a look.

I am still getting settled and hope to be building an additional garage soon. With the other Cruiser guys in the area we should be able to do some wheeling somewhere.

Take Care,
Keith

Thanks for the info and warm welcom!!

Thank you all for the information and warm welcom. Housing searches can be tricky if you don't know the in's and out's of a local market, so I really appreciate your insights.

Wow....it sounds like there aren't many local spots to go wheeling or dirt biking. I'm surprized...I've never been to Oklahoma before, but always thought of it as a rural, outdoor sports kinda state. I guess I'll find out more on Friday when I pull into town.

Thanks agan....Wade

Wade,

Did you get moved?? Check in with us.

Dave

wade....i too live in the edmond area and i would suggest lake draper....you can dirt bike and four wheel out there, just don't stay after dark.....the occasional body turns up in the lake.

Hey Wade
I do realize I'm way late on this.
As I am sure you have realized by now there are tons of awesome local tracks in the OKC area for Moto X.
I am presently in Tiket, Iraq. At the lovely forward operating base Speicher. I should return home in Dec 05. Absolutely cannot wait.
I lived on North Side OKC for years and wanted to stay there or Edmond, however I could not ignore the fact that (obviously I do not have the income some of the folks have that responded, or I do different things with it) 130K goes a lot further in Yukon than in N side OKC or Edmond.
Just wanted to say hey, and welcome to OKC.
I bought my first Cruiser in July when I was home on R/R, I absolutely cannot wait to get started on it. Like I need another hobby in addition to Motor cycles, Mountain Bikes, Golf, Running, oh don't know if you are or not but there is some awesome climbing in the state too.

Wade ,Up at area 51 moto-x track on I 35 I have a place about 6 miles away that is chock full of bass / crappie and cats (flatheads/blues and channels) It's my buddies land (4 sections)and he allows me access with hubs locked for some recreational fun. Fishin an 4wheelin!!! It don't get much better than that !!!!!!!!!!! Come on,lets go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom