Hey I’m the F. N. G. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Adrian and I’m the FNG. Just bought a 1973 FJ40 here in northern Ca. Yes I know my bezel is upside down but it’s the least of my worries. Already found two issues I need to address! Thanks for having me on board.
BD0C9B19-F264-4F57-A1A4-11E955FF668E.jpeg
61089957-4203-48BD-9496-FD56DFA6EF6B.jpeg

Looks like a 1970/1971 ? What is the frame number ? If it is a 70/71, hood is wrong.

What makes it look like a 71? My understanding is 3 on the floor came out in ‘73, so it couldn’t be a 70/71.

Well, the only images I could see is outside. You did not post interior images. That said, the apron lights along with turn signals date it for a few years. I am not sure when the hood spear went away so a 1973 it certainly could be. That is why I asked the frame number, it is the root of the vehicle.

Well, the only images I could see is outside. You did not post interior images. That said, the apron lights along with turn signals date it for a few years. I am not sure when the hood spear went away so a 1973 it certainly could be. That is why I asked the frame number, it is the root of the vehicle.
Ah gotcha. I’m very new to this truck so teach on. I apparently have a lot to learn, not just the history but the mechanics of it as well. Want to help diagnose?

Ah gotcha. I’m very new to this truck so teach on. I apparently have a lot to learn, not just the history but the mechanics of it as well. Want to help diagnose?

I can help , but, there are many on here that also can help. And they have many years of experience. The frame number can be found on the passenger frame rail. See image.

fj40-big.jpg

Welcome to ‘Mud from another ‘73 owner. What part of NorCal are you from?

If you have issues you can’t figure out, ask away.

Your frame number checks out to be a 5/73 build according to the chart on SOR.

Post some more pics when you get a chance and tell the story of how you found it.

Welcome to Mud.

Make sure you check out the search function. There will be answers to many of your questions. There is a lot of expertise on this site. It never ceases to amaze me how many can answer some of the most obtuse questions.

Check out the Clubhouse section for your local club.

Start planning for your Rubithon trip. It is great to experience the Rubicon Trail with your fellow TLCA members.

The louvers on the two hood are longer going down the side. The stamped louvers on the driver's side of the cowl started with the 72 model. Clearance lights on the aprons went from 70 to 74. 75+ clearance lights were part of the turn signals.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
The car wasn’t for sale, but a driveway sitter.
It sat next door to my buddies house. Asked my friend if he could ask the owner to sell and that was that.

The PO couldn’t work on it any longer due to a bad back. He intended to sell last year, but apparently friend poured ethanol in the carb, which eventually started a fire in the carb. So he decided not to sell until the carb issue was fixed. He sold it to me for a much lesser price than originally thought, while was still running.

here’s the immediate issue. The carb is cracked. will it affect the A:F mixture with a crack this high? Should I repair it? I’ve heard of the red permatex method...
837B6C97-D7F8-46E9-9851-7D55AC238095.jpeg

4A9F6BAE-827C-4F8D-BE64-04EA6C2D8FD6.jpeg

i sprayed the carb filled with carb cleaner, and was able to get it running —only for the length of time to burn up the carb cleaner. So it looked like I wasn’t getting fuel to the carb. Im already making a list in my head - carb rebuild kit, fuel pump.I looked around the carb and noticed two things: the fuel IN line was wet (this may need to be replaced). Second thing: there fresh clean oil sitting between the valve cover and the carb. So I’m thinking gasket? Breather? Some of the oil was On the carb itself. Splatter? No idea.

0053CED8-4659-4794-BD6E-7B06ADDC81E2.jpeg

DB35BD49-38FE-4816-829E-7084CC92ECBB.jpeg

Time has been limited since the car came home but so I’m glad I stumbled on ih8mud! Those are my current issues starting off with my new toy. I’ve already got a carb repair kit, air intake gaskets for the filter, and maybe a valve cover gasket coming too.

Looks 73’ from limited pics... does it still have the King Kong reverse light?

Those get damaged

Never heard it referred as a King Kong light. Neighbor kids broke the lens off the one from my 73 that I had on my 68. Wish I would have replaced the lens. Think it was still available at the time. Bought a replacement off eBay that no one else bid on. It was advertised as a Toyota fog light for $10. Probably the easiest way to recognize a 73 is the reverse light.

A little about me. I live in the San Ramon valley area in The Bay Area. My uncle had a FJ55 growing up so I was always interested in the car that didn’t move much. Always loved the history of the rig. When the proto FJ cruiser came out in the Detroit motor show in I think 2003, I hope they made it. Fast forward 2007 and I bought the FJ Cruiser.
74D0DE94-F938-4CCC-A5F3-24545B9C4944.jpeg

I knew I always wanted to have an FJ40 (regardless of the year) and my wife green lighted me the FJ40 2 Sunday’s ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom