Hesitation while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been getting this hesitation while driving lately thats about to cause me to loose it. I think its either the distributor or my carb needs to be rebuilt. Any suggestions which one to try first?
PS 87 60 series with 170k I tried putting in an electric fuel pump without any change.

What rpm does it happen? Does it only happen if you accelerate quickly? Check the float level on the site glass on the front of the carb and it should be in the middle of the window. It could be related to the EGR system. Plug the vacuum hose to the top of the EGR valve and drive around and see if it changes it.

Well it definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem. But how fast are you going when it happens? Also what does the hesitation feel like? If you let go of the gas then step back on it a second or two later does it work alright again for at least a few more seconds?

It seems to be the worst at 20-30 mph. If I back off of the gas pedal it doesn't change meaning it comes right back again when I re-apply the gas. If I push through it I can "get through" the hesitation as I increase my speed. It feels like I'm pumping the gas pedal when it starts to hesitate. Some times it will be relatively fine for some time before it does it again. I had a electric fuel pump put in without any real change in the problem.

can you get it stumble out side the car? and if you can tap the front of carb LIGHTLY with handle of screw driver see if that changes if so clean carb or send it to Jim

Look at the EGR and vacuum system first.

In my opinion and based on my own experience, I would look at the EGR and vacuum system before messing with the carb. Have you seen this thread?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/6934-classic-fj60-stumbling-hesitating-acceleration-running-problem.html

Bypassing the EGR valve first, then cleaning it fixed my hesitation problem.

If your carburetor has never been rebuit, then it would certainly benefit from it. I recently rebuilt my carburetor- I wouldn't recommend trying it without the FSM, ih8mud, and a spare one available. I rebuilt a spare, then swapped it for my original. Now I'm rebuilding the original and will pull the spare.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

It doesn't hesitate while at rest only while accelerating. When I have time I'll check out the EGR but I think I'll address the carb just because it probably needs it anyway.

In my opinion and based on my own experience, I would look at the EGR and vacuum system before messing with the carb. Have you seen this thread?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...-hesitating-acceleration-running-problem.html

Bypassing the EGR valve first, then cleaning it fixed my hesitation problem.

If your carburetor has never been rebuit, then it would certainly benefit from it. I recently rebuilt my carburetor- I wouldn't recommend trying it without the FSM, ih8mud, and a spare one available. I rebuilt a spare, then swapped it for my original. Now I'm rebuilding the original and will pull the spare.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
I hate those three letters with a passion.

E.G.R.

In my 6.0L Excursion those 3 letters led to a $6000.00 repair bill, 11K miles out of a 100K mile warranty...

It doesn't hesitate while at rest only while accelerating. When I have time I'll check out the EGR but I think I'll address the carb just because it probably needs it anyway.

Just pull the vacuum hose off the top of the EGR valve, stick a golf tee in the free end of the hose (the hose connects to the EGR modulator that clips to the air filter housing), and drive around the block at whatever driving condition usually mimics the problem. If it's the EGR valve sticking, the problem will most likely go away.

Then, rebuild your carburetor anyway because it needs it.

Does the 2f have a mass air flow sensor? Because in my 62, I had the same symptoms and the MAFS was the problem.

Hank14 thanks for the above link. I've been wondering if I'll be able to figure this thing out and reading that previous post has given me some hope. I'm extremely short on extra time right now but I'll us this info for sure. Thank You!

Just wanted to thank everyone on this site for helping me get this new-to-me-rig running strong again. I replaced all of the vacuum lines with OEM and adjusted the idle mixture screw on the carb and its been running strong for a week now. I'm far from being very comfortable working on cars but with your help I figured this one out which feels pretty good. Thanks - Jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom