Builds Heritage Blogmobile Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What was the reason for such a dark tint? To me it seems like a lot of work for a problem that was created but easily avoided.

Fair question with a lot of answers in my case: to hide expensive gear, to reduce heat on said gear, to help with privacy and heat and light on the few occasions when I sleep in the back, and to reduce glare hitting the inside of the front windshield, as I'll be filming professionally through the windshield in certain conditions.

1/4" polycarbonate panel installed. I bent a couple brackets to create a flat mounting plane, painting them in the Heritage bronze color, and had a local glass shop cut the panel for me. When heavy gear is placed on top of the AirDownGearUp sleeping platform that I'll be installing soon, this panel will provide an extra layer of protection for the glass. Can also mount things in the future to the panel, as needed.
20200924_143309[1].jpg

Some more incredible hardware bits from Cinemilled added to the headrest bracketry today. I can't believe how solid and still this thing is. And the holes allow secondary support posts to rest against the seat back if mounting anything very large or heavy.

20200924_143124[1].jpg

View through the mirror cam while trailering my motorcycle last night. Another helpful application for this add-on. With the mirror cam, you can slide your finger up and down on the screen to change the portion of the image displayed. So here you could check on your trailer, then slide up to look at the road further back (if your trailer were lower than the camera).

20200924_214227.jpg

Major, exciting day today for my ongoing build! I'm talking about the installation of my sleeping platform/drawer system from @suprarx7nut and @Kyle Bell at Air Down Gear Up. They worked with me on a special version for the Heritage Edition. I was expecting this to be a prototype, but it fits and works so perfectly, I'm not sure "prototype" would be the right word.

Here a few pics:

open.jpg

closed.jpg

closded.jpg

To help me get the look I was seeking, Andy and Kyle sent me some bronze hardware. I also painted some bits myself. I stained the wood black, carpet-lined the drawers, and then brought the top of the platform to a leathersmith for upholstering. The upholstering was a big job and required two costly hides to do properly, but we were able to match the car's leather very closely, and... well, there's nothing like the look and feel of leather.

Installation was a little tricky, but Kyle and Andy were very available during the process, helping me out with all my questions. So while putting things together was a good bit of work, I was able to get it done with confidence.

As icing on the cake, I installed a Core Trax tie-down system for locking down my gear when the platform is in the folded position. This is a commercial-quality system that is easy to install and extremely robust and flexible.

I'm still testing the platform and, like the overall vehicle, won't be able to subject it to proper use until the pandemic dies down or we have a vaccine--hopefully in a few months. But my first impression is that this thing is SOLID! But it can also be removed from the vehicle without a major effort if needed. And the flexibility of the folding platform is just brilliant. Basically, I don't think I could have made a better purchase.

That looks pretty nice! Did you take any pictures while you were installing it that show any changes that you might have had to make, such as cutting holes in the carpet and/or floor? It looks like there are probably 9 vertical posts supporting the top and the drawer slides - did you have to drill holes for those or are they attached to factory holes in the floor?

That looks pretty nice! Did you take any pictures while you were installing it that show any changes that you might have had to make, such as cutting holes in the carpet and/or floor? It looks like there are probably 9 vertical posts supporting the top and the drawer slides - did you have to drill holes for those or are they attached to factory holes in the floor?

No holes to cut in the carpet or floor at all. Everything just slides in and bolts down to existing holes and D rings. No drilling, no permanent mods to vehicle.

One of our requirements for the Air Down Gear Up systems is to have as minimal an impact to the vehicle as possible. We want it to install and uninstall with no permanent changes - no cutting carpet, no drilling, no tapping, no rivnuts, nothing. It's a "Leave No Trace" sort of approach and I think that's a unique attribute in our systems. Robust as hell and yet you can install/uninstall more quickly than anything else we've seen on the market.
Major, exciting day today for my ongoing build! I'm talking about the installation of my sleeping platform/drawer system from @suprarx7nut and @Kyle Bell at Air Down Gear Up. They worked with me on a special version for the Heritage Edition. I was expecting this to be a prototype, but it fits and works so perfectly, I'm not sure "prototype" would be the right word.

Here a few pics:

View attachment 2447939

View attachment 2447940

View attachment 2447941

To help me get the look I was seeking, Andy and Kyle sent me some bronze hardware. I also painted some bits myself. I stained the wood black, carpet-lined the drawers, and then brought the top of the platform to a leathersmith for upholstering. The upholstering was a big job and required two costly hides to do properly, but we were able to match the car's leather very closely, and... well, there's nothing like the look and feel of leather.

Installation was a little tricky, but Kyle and Andy were very available during the process, helping me out with all my questions. So while putting things together was a good bit of work, I was able to get it done with confidence.

As icing on the cake, I installed a Core Trax tie-down system for locking down my gear when the platform is in the folded position. This is a commercial-quality system that is easy to install and extremely robust and flexible.

I'm still testing the platform and, like the overall vehicle, won't be able to subject it to proper use until the pandemic dies down or we have a vaccine--hopefully in a few months. But my first impression is that this thing is SOLID! But it can also be removed from the vehicle without a major effort if needed. And the flexibility of the folding platform is just brilliant. Basically, I don't think I could have made a better purchase.

That looks amazing. I was anxious to see the installed result and you did not disappoint. Well done!

I like the bike trailer.

Awesome. How fast can you go on those small trailer tires?

Love those Heritage wheels, just wish they were available in Australia.

The whole build has been awesome to follow thank you for sharing it.

Love those Heritage wheels, just wish they were available in Australia.

The whole build has been awesome to follow thank you for sharing it.

Thank you for saying so! I love this forum and seeing what everyone else is doing to their vehicles myself!

In NYC for a few months. Land Cruiser gets lots of looks here. Meanwhile, the updates continue.

First off was the install of the RLD Shower Cube. I had studied all the options on the market before choosing this one. I chose it because of the metal arms at the bottom that help it holds its shape. Also because it seemed like quality overall construction, with gas struts at the top.

I was not let down. This unit is fantastic. Mounting it required either letting it hang in a perfect rectangle, which would have required setting it out from the Front Runner rack by several inches, or flush-mounting it for a tight, streamlined, more aerodynamic fit when rolled up. I chose the latter, because the inner space is still great even with the stall hanging irregularly. However, I think I will offset it by 3 or 4 inches once I find the ideal spacers--basically, take a compromise between the two extremes.

20201003_205550[1].jpg

20201003_205909[1].jpg

Also today, I installed a monitor in the back seat on a VESA bracket attached to the headrest mount. This is a 27" content-creation monitor. Fits perfectly in the space. The VESA bracket swivels. So I can either sit directly in front of the monitor (there's just enough room for my right foot next to the Goal Zero) or in the middle seat. If I sit in the middle, I can stretch out my legs over the front armrest, put my computer on my lap, and enjoy a double-monitor system.

20201003_205048[1].jpg

20201003_205208[1].jpg

Last edited:
Also today, I installed a monitor in the back seat on a VESA bracket attached to the headrest mount. This is a 27" content-creation monitor. Fits perfectly in the space. The VESA bracket swivels. So I can either sit directly in front of the monitor or in the middle seat. If I sit in the middle, I can stretch out my legs over the front seat armrest, put my laptop on my lap, and enjoy a double-monitor system.

View attachment 2454972

View attachment 2454975

Pretty neat.. I may have missed it but what is the intent of your modifications....mobile workstation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom