Builds Heritage Blogmobile Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the same question, not because of water leakage, but because of the crap that will inevitably land in them. Rocks, dirt, dust, grit. It all seems to collect on the rear bumper, and if left open, may well end up in your fittings.

Yes, there are various little plugs and caps available for the quick disconnects. I have some on order to try different ones. Also working on getting them painted in the vehicle color.

Easy fix for annoying problem today. Added glow in the dark microdots to mark the overhead spot light and door light buttons. One dot for spot, two dots for door. The green glow is not terribly far off from the green LED glow by the SOS light.

View attachment 2410888

Update on these dots: in my car with heavy tints, they don't get very bright unless you charge with a flashlight before each ride. So they haven't been all that great. But you can still see a bit of a light green bump, which is better than nothing at all, so I've kept them there.

Yeti 1500x arrived today. Fits nice behind seat as planned. Plug coming out of the rear of console also worked out perfectly. Charging at about 290 watts (ie, FAST) with cord connected directly to car battery.

Waiting on the softcase for it, and will be working on a system to strap it down to the floor for rougher offroading.

20200902_210338[1].jpg

Yeti 1500x arrived today.
I'm eager to read your experience with this unit, as it is one I've been considering to replace my Odyssey Group 31 AGM as a solar fridge power supply. The only reviews I've seen for new units are on the 500X, and they are pretty horrible, with lots of failure to charge problems from day one. (REI's reviews, mostly.) Hopefully the 1500X and 3000X are not experiencing the same issues. Following with interest!

I'm eager to read your experience with this unit, as it is one I've been considering to replace my Odyssey Group 31 AGM as a solar fridge power supply. The only reviews I've seen for new units are on the 500X, and they are pretty horrible, with lots of failure to charge problems from day one. (REI's reviews, mostly.) Hopefully the 1500X and 3000X are not experiencing the same issues. Following with interest!

Not much experience yet, and won't have much for several months, but so far no issues charging or holding a charge. Interfaces flawlessly so far with the battery charging cable.

Installed 1st of 2 Rago Molle panels today. I had some trouble with the specified fasteners and ended up using toggle bolts. Took a while to figure out, but I'm happy with the results. The panel feels very high quality. I painted it in bronze to match the wheels. About 6 or 7 base coats plus several layers of 1K clear coat. Got a platform/drawer system from AirDownGearUp at the upholstery shop right now. When that comes back wrapped in blue-black leather matching the seats with bronze hinges, I'm expecting everything to look beautiful at the same time that I have the functionality I need.

20200905_234759[1].jpg

The install:

20200905_204052[1].jpg

Is there a fine dust pre filter/foam insert on the rear HVAC? How many pieces do you need to remove to access it?

Yeti 1500x arrived today. Fits nice behind seat as planned. Plug coming out of the rear of console also worked out perfectly. Charging at about 290 watts (ie, FAST) with cord connected directly to car battery.

Waiting on the softcase for it, and will be working on a system to strap it down to the floor for rougher offroading.

View attachment 2424596

Niice! Haven't seen one of the X models out in the wild yet. That thing is a beast with 140ah capacity and a 2000W continuous inverter. I liken that to a mini portable nuclear reactor out on the road. With that kind of power and reserves, it could singularly power my whole travel trailer.

Productive day today. Got the second Rago Molle Panel installed. This one went literally 10 times faster, since I worked out all the challenges the first time around. Using toggle bolts with break-off straps made all the different in the world.

I really love these panels and am going to get some bags made for them to give the final system maximum utility and aesthetic appeal. Since it's hard to change these out on the panels, my plan is to use bags that mostly stay attached and to keep what I need in the bags.

20200906_192614[1].jpg

While the right panel was open, I took the opportunity to install a Noco power inlet and run the cable to the power station. I'll actually be using it as an outlet 90% of the time so that I power gear outside the car without taking the power station outside, but I couldn't find a good outlet that would look good and live well on the outside of the car. To use the inlet as an outlet, I'll have a custom adapter cord on each end.

20200906_191526[1].jpg

20200906_191549[1].jpg

To finish off the power station install from the other day, I created straps to hold it securely to the floor in the event of a rollover or very rough offroad maneuver. I attached a pair of extra-strong cut-off dog collars to the seat bolts, drilled holes in the bolt covers, and pulled the straps through. If I want the additional security of a four-way strap system, I can tie the other corners off to the attachment points in the second-row seats. But that doesn't seem necessary.

At the moment, I'm using some paracord to tie the power station into the seat bolt attachments. I'll replace that with a more elegant strapping system soon.

20200906_181544[1].jpg

20200906_182049[1].jpg

Elon Musk would be proud. You should slap one of these on next to the plug:

1599449687553.png

ironman has short webbing straps on their site in the refrigerator section.

ironman has short webbing straps on their site in the refrigerator section.

Those look great, except for the logos. I remove/cover all my logos, and ones on flexy fabric are the worst. Any idea if that logo can be cut out from the strap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom